Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Fast Forward on NP3900? And Screen Size question...

Hello,

I am owner of the device NP2900, and I am satisfied with it, except for the fact that it strangely does not have a fast forward and rewind button on the remote control. I want to buy another device and am looking to the NP3900 but on pictures of the remote control that I have seen it does seem as if the NP3900 also has not the capacity to fast forward and rewind. Can someone confirm this? It seems odd because it is such a basic feature.

Another question I have regarding the NP3900 is the screen size. On product pictures it shows the device having a "touch bar" on the lower end of the screen. Is this touch bar always visible? I think it would bother me, because it would cut off too much from the audio covers. Or is the NP3900 screen larger than the NP2900 to counteract this effect? The NP2900 already does not display the bottom of audio covers because of it's uneven screen size (320 x 240), and if the touch bar furthers this effect I will be stuck with half a cover.

Thank you for your time.

Felix

Philips - Gary
    Hi felix19,

I can confirm that the NP3900 does have search buttons on its remote control, these are shown on page 9 of the user manual (item 8 on the image).

Here is a link to the user manual (English):
    http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/n/np3900_12/np3900_12_dfu_eng.pdf

Both the NP2900 & NP3900 come with a 3.5" display however the functional button you are referring to on the NP3900 are not constantly present, rather they appear on command.

If you wish to display the functional button you need only tap the screen when in the play screen.

Kind regards,

Gary

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hello Gary,

thank you for your reply.

This sounds good, especially regarding the display. But I am still not so sure about the rewind and fast forward, because the buttons that are listed under number 8 are the same buttons I have on my NP2900 remote and they are just used to skip to the next or previous track. However it does say "Search buttons on the play screen" below the skip buttons in the manual. I don't really understand this, does it mean that there is a fast forward and rewind button on the touchscreen? It also says "In LIBRARY mode: Press to skip to the previous/next chapter/track."

I guess library mode is what I am using, I use the NP2900 to play my music that is stored on a NAS via twonky if that matters. Maybe fast forwarding works by holding down the skip buttons (already tried that on my NP2900, does not work on that one)?

Kind regards

Felix

Edit: I read the next few sites of the manual and judging from the pictures I think that there are FF and RW buttons on the display.

But it would be better still, if it were possible to do that with the remote. The left and right navigation buttons (Nr. 7 in the manual) have no function in library mode, maybe in a future firmware update they could be programmed to fast forward and rewind?

And I have another question, on the NP2900 when I pause and then push play again, maybe 1 or 2 seconds of the audio is lost, if you can follow me. Like when listening to an audiobook to a random sentence such as "Hello my name is Richard Richardson" and I hit pause after "hello" and then push play again, it skips "my name is Richard" and continues with "Richardson" (not sure about the timing just an estimate). It also skips either the last or first second/seconds of every audio track, which is noticable when listening to audiobooks. Has this been resolved on the NP3900?

And I would like to know whether the built-in speakers are the same ones that are used in the NP2900, and therefore the sound quality is identical. I apologize for asking so many questions, I just want to make sure that the system is right for me, and then I shall buy it and pass the NP2900 on to a family member. :)
    Last edited by felix19; 11-17-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I will check the fast-forward functionality on my NP3900 tonight and report back here.

The NP3900 has good sound for a player of its size.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thank you jdthod, I look forward to your report.

The NP2900 has good sound too, I was actually very positively surprised when I first heard it.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    You cannot fast-forward through a track on the NP3900. You can skip to the next track. Likewise to the previous track. Holding down the button marked with two right arrow heads and a vertical bar does not do anything different.

(Edited to remote the word 'cue' which I had used incorrectly.)
    Last edited by jdthood; 11-21-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Don't want to confuse people.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Indeed there is no fast rewind (review) and fast forward available (cue) in the NP3900 (likewise in the NP2900). Could be a good present for Christmas ...

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    (Ah, yes, you are right, Blechtrottel: 'cue' means the same as 'fast foward'. Apologies for the confusion. Ref: http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/review)

I wouldn't get my hopes up that this feature will be added. Cue and review are difficult to implement on a machine that streams its data from a remote source.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thank you for clearing this up. Well, it's unfortunate and I too hope they will implement this in the feature but I am not optimistic. After all they had years to program such a feature for the NP3900 since the release of the NP2900. The Logitech Squeezebox Boom, a competitor of the NP2900 with similar features had this feature but I chose the NP2900 because I did not think I would ever need cue and rewind back then. So it does not seem impossible to implement this in a network player.

But Philips is a bit awkward with firmware releases (if you have the NP2900 and installed the newest firmware you now what I am speaking of).

Maybe Gary could find out whether there are plans to add cue and rewind to the device, as he seems to be associated with Philips. It is strange however that the manual shows the device to have such buttons on the touchbar in one picture, while other product pictures show them to actually be skip buttons (the skip buttons in the picture of the manual have no vertical bars, which makes them in fact cue and rewind buttons).

And does one of you know what "search buttons" are? Sounds to me like cue and rewind. It says in the manual, "search buttons on the touchscreen". Maybe they really plan to add this and already put it in the manual before putting it in the firmware. But it does not seem likely in my opinion because they would have to replace the skip buttons and they are important as well.
    Last edited by felix19; 11-20-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    The "search buttons on the play screen" mentioned on page 10 of the manual are actually skip-forward and skip-backward buttons.

BUT. Supposedly using the Media Browser application on a PC you can "fast search forward or backward" through a track that is being played remotely on the NP3900.

Philips - Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by jdthood View Post
    The "search buttons on the play screen" mentioned on page 10 of the manual are actually skip-forward and skip-backward buttons.
    We are currently looking into this for you, could you confirm whether you are streaming music files from your PC when attempting to search through tracks or whether the music is coming from a different source, such as a NAS drive, Internet radio station, etc.?

If it is coming from a different source could you please specify where the music is coming from? This will help us to find a solution.

Kind regards,

Gary

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Gary View Post
    Could you confirm whether you are streaming music files from your PC when attempting to search through tracks or whether the music is coming from a different source, such as a NAS drive, Internet radio station, etc.?
    In my case it's coming from a Synology Diskstation DS111 NAS.

Pressing the double-right-arrowhead on the player's built-in screen causes the player to skip to the next track or, if it is the last track in the list, to the beginning of the current track.

While testing this I found a new bug in the firmware. Holding down the double-left-arrowhead on the player's built-in screen caused an infinite number of skip-backs to be done. The player behaved as if I was holding down the skip-back key even though I was no longer touching the screen. I took video of this: http://youtu.be/AiysqrwSY0E
    --
    Thomas Hood

Philips - Gary
    Hi Thomas & felix19,

Upon investigation into the search issue you have reported we have identified this as an error in the user manual. The |<< & >>| buttons are only for skipping tracks not searching within them.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused and will be updating the manual accordingly.

I would also like to thank you for your valued feedback regarding the ability to search within tracks, we will be looking into the possibility of adding this functionality to future models but cannot confirm at this stage whether this will be adopted.

@Thomas: Thank you for the video of the skip issue you have described, we will also be looking into this issue for you. To prevent this thread from getting too long I have created a new thread for this skip issue, I will post the results of our investigation here:

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...7710#post17710

Kind regards,

Gary

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thank you for the feedback Gary.

I dont want to add any more confusion BUT if you watch the video that was posted by Thomas you can clearly see that the on-screen buttons are indeed search ( << & >> ) buttons, not skip buttons ( |<< & >>| ). So it is not merely an error in the manual.

You spoke of the possibility of adding this functionality to future models, I suppose this means there is no chance we will be seeing it in a future firmware for this model?

Kind regards

Felix

Philips - Gary
    Hi felix19,

Thank you for your comments, I will make sure this is pointed out to our development team.

Unfortunately this model was not designed to search within tracks, only to skip from one to another, therefore I cannot confirm if there will be a firmware update to introduce this functionality.

Kind regards,

Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast