View Poll Results: [POLL] Did the upgrade to FW v14.95 solve the "Flashing Ambilight" issue for you?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: FW v14.95 solved the issue for me.

0 0%
  • No: v14.95 did NOT solve the issue for me.

6 100.00%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    morma
    Hi Guys

I'm glad that i'm not the only one out there with this problem.
    I bought my 42pf7606h/12 last week 23.12.2011 and like most people tested the 3d funktion. (My first 3D TV)
    No probs while watching 3D blu-ray movies, but now with the 3D games its another thing.
    I'm using a PS3 to play the movies and games XD.

While i had no problems with the "Sonic Generations"-game in 3D, the ambilight started flashing by playing "Gran Turismo 5" and "Uncharted 3" in 3d. In 2D no flashing weird :/

Tonight i updated the TV to firmware 000.014.093.000 still no change. If this issue isn't solved within the next 3 weeks, then i have to bring it back to the retailer. Ambilight is a "nice to have" but if it isn't running properly i'd rather buy a tv without this gadget.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, the ambilight flashes even when disabled (as most of you already mentioned), cool white trick well flickering ><

Best regards

Edit 2: Today i called the support-center and explained the problem with the tv. They ensured me that an technician would call me back to make a date to check up my tv.
    Probably we know more next week
    Last edited by morma; 12-28-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Hi Morma

Edit 2: Today i called the support-center and explained the problem with the tv. They ensured me that an technician would call me back to make a date to check up my tv.
    Probably we know more next week[/QUOTE]

Hi Morma. Sorry to hear you have the issue too.

I contacted my local UK Philips support-center many, many times and they offered me what I think they may have offered you.

They have offered me this .....

A local authorised Philips repair centre to pick up my brand new unmarked £900 TV, take it away, open it up and "fix" it. I refused. I refused because, even if they were able to "fix" my TV it would not be a brand new TV any more, It would be what I consider a reconditioned TV.

I am still waiting for Philips to get back to me with a suitable solution. I have been dealing with this for over a month and I consider my case still open.

If you have been offered something different please let us know. If you take Philips up on their solution - please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards.

morma
    Hi MrEdd

They offered me that an authorised Philips-center would send an technician, to see the problem with my TV. And then we're going to discuss the next steps.
    As i mentioned the technician will call me the next days to arrange a date probably for next week.

I let you know when i've got some news.

Kind regards

morma
    Hi guys

Maybe i found the problem myself, so i want you to try this:

You have to go in the PS3 to Settings, then Sound Settings, Audio Output, Optical Digital and mark Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch. + DTS 5.1 Ch. + AAC then save this settings . After that you have to enable the Audio Multi-Output so that you can use the sound also on TV.

It was an coincidence that i found out this i branched my PS3 to my Surround system with an optical-cable and made these settings so i could use Tv or Surround sound as i like.

As i played Gran Turismo 5 in 3D the ambilight weren't flashing, i thought i wasn't seeing right so i undid these settings resetet the game in 3D and the ambilights started flashing immediately.
    Redid the settings flashing gone.

I will test it further, but at the moment i have no probs with the ambilights.

Edit: After 1 hour of gaming still no flashing Ambilights, i tried several games in 3D like GT5, Uncharted 3. Even when the AL are disabled they don't think of flashing.
    Even though i don't understand why of al things, the sound settings caused this behavior.

Please let me know if this solved your problem too.

Kind regards
    Last edited by morma; 12-29-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Thanks Morma - Will give it a try

Hi Morma,

Thanks for your investigations and sharing your experiences so far.

I am going to try your settings, play uncharted 3 in 3D and post my findings in this thread tomorrow. Hopefully other people will do the same.

Thanks again Morma.

Kind regards

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by morma View Post
    Hi guys

Maybe i found the problem myself, so i want you to try this:

You have to go in the PS3 to Settings, then Sound Settings, Audio Output, Optical Digital and mark Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch. + DTS 5.1 Ch. + AAC then save this settings . After that you have to enable the Audio Multi-Output so that you can use the sound also on TV.

It was an coincidence that i found out this i branched my PS3 to my Surround system with an optical-cable and made these settings so i could use Tv or Surround sound as i like.

As i played Gran Turismo 5 in 3D the ambilight weren't flashing, i thought i wasn't seeing right so i undid these settings resetet the game in 3D and the ambilights started flashing immediately.
    Redid the settings flashing gone.

I will test it further, but at the moment i have no probs with the ambilights.

Edit: After 1 hour of gaming still no flashing Ambilights, i tried several games in 3D like GT5, Uncharted 3. Even when the AL are disabled they don't think of flashing.
    Even though i don't understand why of al things, the sound settings caused this behavior.

Please let me know if this solved your problem too.

Kind regards
    Wow, problem solved i made the exact settings, and tried GT5 in dual gaming mode.

And no longer flashing ambilight Tried 2 races and the TV showed no tendency of flashing or showing different color flashing or whatsoever Thanks for sharing ur experience now its an easy match for philips guys to release a new firmware to solve this issue once and for al i hope!

morma
    Hi

I'm glad to hear that, i've just received a call from an technician from an authorised philips-center and he told me that it can't be helped, the ambilight system is incompatible with the PS3 and can't handle the 3D signal coming from it.

When i told him that i solved the problem with some little configuration in the sound settings of the PS3 system, he seemed to be surprised. But he didn't showed real interest, i think the important thing for him was to pour oil on troubled waters. It was like: Ah if it works now, then i can close the case.

Well i don't know if they're going to change something in the firmware, but i think it would be wise because most people use the PS3 for gaming and watching movies.

And saying it can't be helped they're incompatible seems for me quite dull.
    Unhappy customers usually change sides, to be honest i was just about two steps away from changing the TV against one of another manufacturer.

Well the issue is solved now and i'm happy with my TV.

I whish you a happy new year and the best of luck (especially with your TV's).

Kind regards
    Last edited by morma; 12-30-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

So far so good

Hi all,

Tried Mormas settings last night with Uncharted 3 on the PS3 and It worked fine - no flashing ambilight !!! yippee.

Still not 100% sure so will continue testing and posting results.

Thanks Morma for your efforts.

Happy New year to all.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=morma;21608]Hi

I'm glad to hear that, i've just received a call from an technician from an authorised philips-center and he told me that it can't be helped, the ambilight system is incompatible with the PS3 and can't handle the 3D signal coming from it.

When i told him that i solved the problem with some little configuration in the sound settings of the PS3 system, he seemed to be surprised. But he didn't showed real interest, i think the important thing for him was to pour oil on troubled waters. It was like: Ah if it works now, then i can close the case.

My experience of the Philips Call centre from a technical help point of view has been very poor. They don't seem technical at all.

Kind regards.

morma
    Hi MrEdd

I'm glad to hear that your ambilight stopped flashing. I tested it yesterday from 5:00pm - 11:00pm and now playing since 5:00pm and still no problems.

I would say it will work now (hopefully)

Kind regards

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Morma's setting work - Thanks Morma.

Hi all,

I was playing MotorStorm Apocalypse for a good 4 hours yesterday with the ambilights on and it worked like a dream - not 1 flash !!!

I cannot thank Morma enough.

Thanks also to everyone who joined this thread.

morma
    Hi i'm glad that i could help,

for me it seems that the DTS and Dolby signal coming from the PS3 were troubling the ambilights. Now with these settings, you put them on the optical cable and leaving the digital stereo on the HDMI-cable. So even if you switch the sound output from your games to DTS... its only affecting the sound-format for the sourrund system and the TV still gets stereo.(The TV has only 2 speakers so you've always stereo so it doesn't matter)

Now i'm hoping that Philips will fix this in theyr next firmware update.

So long.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Nice to hear this easy solution. Thanks for telling us Morma.
    I think Phillips should refund people for finding problems and it's depandancys.
    Now the know exactly what's problem.

You should get some free 3D glasses :-) Or a sound bar or something like this from philips.
    Cheers

morma
    Quote Originally Posted by doener View Post
    You should get some free 3D glasses :-) Or a sound bar or something like this from philips.
    Cheers
    Yeah would be nice XD
    Last edited by morma; 01-03-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    First of all: @morma: Nice detective work there. You've been a big help to many people here.

Nontheless, this issue also exists with different hardware: PC HDMI connection and XBox360 were mentioned as well. I hope that Philips doesn't think that your nice trick around the problem means that they don't have to care about it anymore. Honestly, the people who are discussing in this thread now at least have a "homebrew" workaround for the issue regarding the ps3. Yet, there are a lot more people outside there, who also suffer from the same issue, without knowing about this or simply don't have the required background knowledge. A TV is a device for the masses, not for experts on the subject. At the same time it's difficult to belief, that such a workaround is required for the most sold blu ray player on this planet. If the 3D TVs should work perfectly with one machine, it's the PS3 and of course second the xbox. There is a high percentage of users out there who own a ps3 and only buy one these TVs to be able to use it with 3D games in a comfortable way. This is the actual market for these tells. For anything else but 3D movies and 3D gaming, a 3D tv is not required....

best regards,
    D
    Last edited by Dyna; 01-12-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast