Topic: Mci 298/05

• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Mci 298/05

I have had my MCi 298 Wi-Fi- Micro System for a year now and its out of warranty.

We had originally bought the previous model but had issues with that as well – Screen far too small – Fan noise shocking to the point you need to have volume way up to hear anything and terrible internet buffering.

I bought the MCi 298 device because it has a CD player, Internet Radio, touch screen and remote control

After a few months the Wi-Fi buffering is so slow that made listening to the internet impossible, We have 25MB now and its still terrible - this defeated one reason for buying the device.

Then the CD player spins with a clicking whirring noise, It skips tracks and very often gets stuck and does what I would call a Max Headroom on a particular track and often goes back to previous tracks and misses some altogether

This defeated a second reason for buying the device

The device has a mind of its own and when in standby mode allows it’s self to go to the home scree. It re-boots on regular occasions.

I paid extra for this model and it’s appalling, and as a result I have not purchased any other Phillips products since.
    I appreciate that you possibly cannot do anything for me now, but my delay in writing this was the arrival of my son.

Sincerely and disappointed

Gary Lawless

Philips - Gary
    Hi Gary,

I'm very sorry to hear of your experience with the MCi298 and would like to take a moment to assure you that this is certainly not representative of the overall quality of the model, we have many very satisfied customers and I am sorry to hear that you are not one of them.

One of the more common causes of poor Internet radio playback is the presence of wireless interference. Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if this has any affect on the playback?

The CD drive should not be jumping in the way you have described. As it is out of warranty I would advise using a lens cleaning disc in case this is being caused by a dirty lens.
    If this doesn't help then I would strongly recommend contacting your local Philips support, although you are out of our warranty period we may still be able to provide some help so you should discuss the options available to you with a local Consumer Care representative.
    You can find local support numbers here:

http://www.support.philips.com/suppo...g_selector.jsp

Once again I would like to apologise for the poor experience you have had and assure you that we take reports such as this very seriously, our aim is to provide an excellent experience to all of our consumers.

Kind regards,

Gary

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Two in a row

Gary,

On Saturday I bought a MCi298 and it worked after going through some cycles. It updated the software and after that I did not like the random behaviour of the Streamium that much. It switched on and off, internet radio is buffering, restarting, channels are changing. I like the looks though and the sound is not bad at all.

So I thought it must be one of these Chinese software bugs and exchanged it for another sample. It works but it does not allow me to update the software and is stuck at 3 %. All laptops in the area have excellent reception and download speeds exceed 60 Mbps. Software glithces between samples is very interesting and is quite new to me.

The software has it funny sides. It asks were to update the software from: USB or Internet. Clicking on Internet it still starts looking at the USB stick which is not there. The HMI (Human Machine Interface) is not consistent and the remote control in combination with the HMI works also inconsistent. Not important but if you're looking for a proper software designer send me an e-mail.

I still like the look and the sound. Could you please give me an idea if you have working models in Scotland on display?

P.S. I used the word samples as this best describes the current development stage of this prototype (if you think it is a product why does Philips brings a version 0.7 to the market?).

Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Gary View Post
    Hi Gary,

I'm very sorry to hear of your experience with the MCi298 and would like to take a moment to assure you that this is certainly not representative of the overall quality of the model, we have many very satisfied customers and I am sorry to hear that you are not one of them.

One of the more common causes of poor Internet radio playback is the presence of wireless interference. Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if this has any affect on the playback?

The CD drive should not be jumping in the way you have described. As it is out of warranty I would advise using a lens cleaning disc in case this is being caused by a dirty lens.
    If this doesn't help then I would strongly recommend contacting your local Philips support, although you are out of our warranty period we may still be able to provide some help so you should discuss the options available to you with a local Consumer Care representative.
    You can find local support numbers here:

http://www.support.philips.com/suppo...g_selector.jsp

Once again I would like to apologise for the poor experience you have had and assure you that we take reports such as this very seriously, our aim is to provide an excellent experience to all of our consumers.

Kind regards,

Gary