• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

BDP3280 HDMI Ethernet Channel

I have just purchased a BDP3280/12 3D BluRay Player to work with my 42PFL7666K/02 TV.

As I found references to Philips products implementing the HDMI Ethernet Channel in 3D products, I obtained a suitable cable so that my Blu Ray player can access the network via the HDMI cable. This would save me having to invest in an additional splitter and cable and looks tidier.

Although I am using a cable certified for the Ethernet channel function, the Blu Ray player is not seeing the internet connection and instead asks me to connect the cable.

The TV is connected to the internet via a standard Ethernet cable, so it should be able to pass on the connection to the player. Should I be connecting the Internet cable to the Player and that is then passed on to the TV via HDMI, instead?

As both devices are current Philips products, and Philips announces this capabilitiy on their website, is this a bug, a feature that is yet to be implemented in an upcoming firmware, or am I missing something?

FW on the player is 2.21. I have not found any firmware download pages for this device on the Philips website.

Please help.

Regards

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Walker; 11-29-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Peter,

the FAQ you refer to it just underlines the differences between the HDMI protocol 1.3 and 1.4 but it doesn't say a word about the implementation of this technology in your player... There it is also the explanation of the HDMI-ARC, but this is a feature for TV, Home Theatres and A/V ampli only, it would never apply to a Player...
    As far as as know at the moment there are no Philips devices that support HDMI ethernet channel...
    So you should use the "common" Ethernet RJ45 cable to connect the BDP to your router

A.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    The FAQ in questions relates directly to my TV (the type number is in the URL) and that FAQ states: "The new specification defines several transmission formats for 3D content from source devices with 3D capability, such as a 3D Blu-ray players, a game console or a 3D Set-top box."

I can understand this not applying to non-3D players, but here Philips specifically mentions 3D-Players. Why would Philips make such claims and then not implement it?

It would be great to hear from a Philips engineer on this and if this is a feature due to be added in a firmware upgrade to come.

Regards

Peter

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    As I can see the FAQ just overlaps the titles "3D support" with the "HDMI Ethernet Channel". In facts the description of the 3D support follows the HDMI Ethernet channel one... Indeed it is a typo, but at least to me it doesn't look as a description of technical features of the device.
    But if you really look for an official answer from Philips I guess a forum Mod can give it to you...

Regards

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    It just looks like it is a logical feature for current 2011 models of Philips TVs and players to support, particually when both devices are specifically 3D devices, HDMI cable improvements were made to support new 3D features, and Philips has this FAQ telling us how wonderful such a feature is.

I have confidence that the Philips engineers are pretty clever and that this is maybe just a feature that has simply not been implemented into the Firmware, yet. That is what firmware updates are for, to fix little issues like this, surely.

I would like to know if this feature is already supported in my TV and can work with other devices?

I would also like to know if my Player can use the HDMI port for network connections and simply needs new firmware to activate this, or if this feature has not been implemented at all and cannot be added by firmware.

Regards

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Walker; 11-29-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

network via HDMI is not supported - and I don't think it will be implemented in 2011 devices...

Toengel@Alex