Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input 'sternecaugek',

Sorry to be dim but what is Philips sw? However, it was really for the music streaming from my pc that I bought this equipment.

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by sternecaugek View Post
    No, the internet radio works fine, so it's more than an expensive ornament, but I am really looking forward to getting the Philips sw fix to allow me to use the media server function again.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

NP 3900 back to normal

Hi Martyn,

Looks like NP 3900 has a new FW now. Did you test with the new FW?

Silver Member
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Just tested the new FW, seems working fine. I did not test it with Android control Point though.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fromsomewhere View Post
    Hi Martyn,

Looks like NP 3900 has a new FW now. Did you test with the new FW?

Hi 'fromsomewhere',

I have only just taken delivery of my NP3900 and as I mentioned in my previous postings I will be using the time between Xmas and new year to set it up with a new broadband hub. It was reading some of the comments on this thread that had me worried in advance of trying anything!

Reading your response and that from 'k1200rs' does it now mean that if I do check for software updates during installation next week I won't make the software worse than how it is originally? Let's face it, that is the problem of others who wish they hadn't updated. Has Philips confirmed that they have corrected the software/firmware if so I can't see where they have posted that on this forum. Has anyone any thoughts?

By the way I agree with a previous correspondent - I find the people on here genuine and helpful. Over the last couple of days I feel as though I made some friends!

Martyn

Silver Member
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
    [...]If I do check for software updates during installation next week I won't make the software worse than how it is originally?
    New firmware with version number "V G5.59S" was released today. I installed it and the NP3900 now detects my Synology DS111 NAS and can play music from it.

So I would say that there is no longer a reason for you to avoid updating the firmware when you set up your NP3900 next week.

Thanks to the Philips firmware programmers for getting this fix out before the holidays!
    --
    Thomas

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdthood View Post
    New firmware with version number "V G5.59S" was released today. I installed it and the NP3900 now detects my Synology DS111 NAS and can play music from it.

So I would say that there is no longer a reason for you to avoid updating the firmware when you set up your NP3900 next week.

Thanks to the Philips firmware programmers for getting this fix out before the holidays!
    --
    Thomas
    Thanks for confirmation 'jdthood'. I can now look forward to a trouble-free installation after Xmas! I'll let you know how it goes (that's if you can stand any more missives from me!)

Thank you to the Philips programmers and have a great Xmas everybody!

Martyn

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I agree Thomas, the problem seems to have been fixed with the new software/firmware. (Keep my fingers crossed that some fool doesn't unwittingly reinsert the code that caused the malfunctioning...) For me, this issue is closed, thank you Philips.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
    Thanks for confirmation 'jdthood'. I can now look forward to a trouble-free installation after Xmas! I'll let you know how it goes (that's if you can stand any more missives from me!)

Thank you to the Philips programmers and have a great Xmas everybody!

Martyn
    OK I've spent 4 hours and I have the internet radio working! I have updated the software when requested but I cannot load the the supplied software on the tiny CD! Is this part and parcel of the problem that contributors on this forum have been mentioning which I was told had been resolved? Unless I'm being stupid I have found thid whole experience disgraceful. The download manual doesn't agree with what actually happens or in the sequence in which it should happen. I tried various ways round and got the internet radio working in the end which sounds very good but why oh WHY is the link through the wi-fi to the media stored on my PC so damn difficult? I've done everything in accordance with the manual but even the Twonky (very aptly named if your slang English is good enough!) won't load even after answering surveys, giving the registration of the unit which Philips don't recognise and on and on and on...........

Not that I expect any help from Philips as they already have my money but is there any other helpful souls out thre such as jdthood?

Martyn

Silver Member
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Martyn,

The Twonky application is a server / manager that let you stream music from your PC to your NP3900 (or any other DLNA certified player).
    You can either load a Philips customized version (you can activate with the Philips key) of Twonky server from the CD or from the Philips site.

Have you seen this:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...scy=gb&slg=eng

It is for the NP2900 but it is the same for the NP3900.

As an alternative or to get a full and newest version of Twonky manager, you can try and then purchase it from here: http://www.twonky.com/fbtrial/default.aspx

Twonky manager includes Twonky server and allows more features (push of music, etc.).

I did the latter, never used the ('free') Philips provided version.

Francis
    Last edited by k1200rs; 12-27-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by k1200rs View Post
    Martyn,

The Twonky application is a server / manager that let you stream music from your PC to your NP3900 (or any other DLNA certified player).
    You can either load a Philips customized version (you can activate with the Philips key) of Twonky server from the CD or from the Philips site.

Have you seen this:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...scy=gb&slg=eng

It is for the NP2900 but it is the same for the NP3900.

As an alternative or to get a full and newest version of Twonky manager, you can try and then purchase it from here: http://www.twonky.com/fbtrial/default.aspx

Twonky manager includes Twonky server and allows more features (push of music, etc.).

I did the latter, never used the ('free') Philips provided version.

Francis

Thanks Francis,

I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know what happens. If I carry on tonight I'm in great danger of throwing everything into the garden and suing Philips!

I'm just so disgusted with Philips that they can produce something of this type with such poor documentation (almost none regarding the loading of the Twonky software) and support. I just cannot understand why their supplied software doesn't work. Why not? I have Windows 7, an Intel i5 processor etc? No suggestion from Philips or Amazon that you have to BUY EXTRA software to make it all work in line with their hype!

Martyn

Silver Member
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi.

You can use WIN-7 and its WMP12 mediaplayer and stream to the Philips device. Just use the right click mouse menu (e.g. in Windows Explorer) and indicate "PLAY TO". In some Windows installations the "uPnP/DLNA" sharing / detection is turned off by default (so might take you few clicks to get it working).

In general the Windows Mediaplayer is rather buggy / unstable. I've tried it few times and then gave up. With the Philips bypacked Twonky I never had issues so far.

I do agree with anyone that the installer of Philips is rather "silly". You can't follow the normal logic of clicking "next", "next", ... In that FLASH player thing you've to specifically push on the button "INSTALL TWONKY" !

Good luck ...

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blechtrottel View Post
    Hi.

You can use WIN-7 and its WMP12 mediaplayer and stream to the Philips device. Just use the right click mouse menu (e.g. in Windows Explorer) and indicate "PLAY TO". In some Windows installations the "uPnP/DLNA" sharing / detection is turned off by default (so might take you few clicks to get it working).

In general the Windows Mediaplayer is rather buggy / unstable. I've tried it few times and then gave up. With the Philips bypacked Twonky I never had issues so far.

I do agree with anyone that the installer of Philips is rather "silly". You can't follow the normal logic of clicking "next", "next", ... In that FLASH player thing you've to specifically push on the button "INSTALL TWONKY" !

Good luck ...

My NP3900/12 didn't ended up in my garden thanks to a very helpful chap at Philips Customer Support. The problem is that when you insert the Philips 'mini' Twonky DVD autoplay takes you straight to the Philips registration site and, try what you might, not into Twonky installation. This has to be done via Windows Explorer (file manager) and using the installation 'fscommand' folder. This is obviously an error in the creation of the DVD - pity its got the Philip's logo all over it!

So now it all seems to be functioning and all I have to is work out how to get the Twonky player to play all the tracks I've dragged to the Create Playlist! Still here we go again - wouldn't it be nice to have a decent manual/!

Martyn

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Smile Still flakey connectivity to MediaServer ...

After the "V G5.59S" FW release a week ago, my NP3900 at last found the Twonky MediaServer, & I enjoyed streaming music from my PC … for 2 or 3 days, since when, in spite of multiple hard boots of both PC & NP3900, the MediaServer is again invisible. The weak links in my setup are a) I need a powered-up PC (WinXP, SP-3), b) my PC is connected to the network via an 802.11n PCI card. However, the NP3900 is Ethernet-cable connected. After reviewing all the posts, I am reluctant to invest 200€ + in a NAS server, and but am unsure of best strategy to attack the problem. Lastly, when the main PC is switched off, why does the NP3900 not “see” the Twonky MediaServer I also installed in parallel on an Ethernet-connected Netbook at the other end of the house? Thanks in advance for any educated advice 

Silver Member
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi

Not sure what you mean by when the main PC is switched off, NP 3900 does not see the twonky? Pls note that the PC must be running to have access to the twonky server & the content on the PC. You cannot switch off the PC.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi "fromsomewhere"
    Yes I do understand the PC must be running, my problem is connectivity & visibility.
    The "Philips Twonky" is installed on both my main PC and also on a netbook PC, but the NP3900 only sporadically sees the one on the main PC. One day it does, the next day it doesn't. It does see the one on the netbook PC when they are both in Wifi mode and close enough to pair with the Netbook PC. The internet radio works fine every/anywhere.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast