• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

wac700/05 taking days to boot up

hi all my first post my wac700/05 yes i know its an old un but have been working fine up till now the last few weeks the unit has been saying please wait booting up been on for about 3 days and nothing knocked it off wait plugged back in booting up still nothing ,been reading previous posts in cafe now moved to here ,well i got it booked in with service engineer seems a common problem with these units wonder if anyone else have gone down this road before can it be fixed ,how much or anything else i need to worry about guess what i put all my music on it didnt do a back up sold my cds probably lost the lot now gutted done a harddrive test by pressing ok and vol up button when switching on results showing all zeros fail anything else i can do thanks in advance ff

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear of your troubles.
    Not always cheap to get fixed hence the reason quite a few people do it themselves. But...This route is only any good if you are confident dismantling electronic equipment and using a soldering iron.
    Many reasons for these units failing are:
    (1) Hard drive failure
    (2) Power supply failure
    (3) CPU board failure.

Even if your hard drive has failed then it is possible to get your music back. Believe me I have pulled music off WAC700 drives when the drive itself has been in a very poor state indeed.

If you are not going to get the service company to repair your WAC700 I would at least pay them to take out the hard drive from the unit. The drive itself is a standard PC type IDE 40gb drive. Not sure how many CDs you've got on it so you'd need to balance the cost of buying replacements against the price of the service company removing the drive.

If you do remove the hard drive then I can advise further on this forum on how to connect to your PC and attempt retrieval.

Cheers

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    thanks flimflam not that confident huge library on it be shame to lose but depends on what cost do you know if other streamium units are compatible with the stations might be cheaper to pick up another unit ,how does service work told engineer will contact me will he take it away give me price if i say no will he give it back all at no charge

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thefishesfriendian View Post
    thanks flimflam not that confident huge library on it be shame to lose but depends on what cost do you know if other streamium units are compatible with the stations might be cheaper to pick up another unit ,how does service work told engineer will contact me will he take it away give me price if i say no will he give it back all at no charge
    Quite a few Streamiums are compatible with your stations(I assume they are WAS700). WAC700, WAC7000, WAC7500 and Mci500 are just a few that will work.
    You can always find WAC700 and/or WAC7000 on a certain auction site for around about the £100 mark (sometimes cheaper, depending on time of year)
    Not sure on the procedure with the service engineer as I've never used the services of one for fixing Streamiums.
    If you decide not to get it fixed then I would put your faulty WAC700 up for sale on the certain auction site(or other method). Will help to offset the cost of a replacement. If you don't want the hassle of auctioning and/or fees then PM me. I might be able to do you a private deal.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    thanks flimflam will see what engineer says and go from there will have a look in the big river and fleabay ill post the results ff

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    little update silly prices for repair even before they tell me whats wrong with it £83 for repair thats without parts p&p £18 each way so thats £120 ish before they put new part in new one can be got for £160 ish so mate in work said he can take a look at it as he repairs xbox and playstations so ill go down that route first or is it second, so leave till after xmas for now,thanks ff