Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    DerShortyy
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Just asking again:

are there any owners of a 32" PFL9705 who can actually see any difference between "Super Resolution" On and Off!?...
    So far response has been minimal and only from people with larger sizes, who can see a difference. But not from 32" owners yet, so... come on guys: have a look!
    NO - there are no owners of 32pfl9705 anymore, because the TV crashed too often and thats why they all brought back their "32" to the retailers. i had one and it was horrible... sorry for my offtopic comment

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hello. I have a 32PFL9705 and I don't see any difference either. So maybe it's a bug or the effect is imperceptible.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanks Jorge for letting us know!

By the way, I saw that you have one of the last 32PFL9705 ever made. That makes it interesting to know if there are any differences with the older ones (like mine and most other's here). Have you visited my thread regarding the Subtitle Dimming Problem yet?... Could you maybe post your findings over there as well?...
    http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...r-on-32PFL9705
    Thanks in advance!

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 482
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassNew Achievement!Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dellamag View Post
    I try again: is the "Super Resolution" feature supposed to be included in 7000 series (2010 models) ? Im my TV it seems to be not included: I don't find it in any part of the menu, while the product specification sheet on the philips site says that it is an included feature (see http://download.p4c.philips.com/file...08_pss_aen.pdf, last page @ Picture Display | Picture enhancement section)
    Please clarify as soon as possible !
    Attachment 793
    Hello Dellamag,

I don't think so, the datasheet is referring to the 2012 TV 7000 families. I was not aware that the 2010 700 TV models were equipped with the "Super Resolution" feture.

regards

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Hello again everyone,

as there was an interesting discussion about this in another thread, I'm quoting those parts here:

Quote Originally Posted by christophexxx View Post
    To be precise the real problem is super resolution auto control:

- on TV tuner with HD signal ==> sharpness is in the standard because super resolution is in fact inactive
    - on TV tuner with SD signal ==> the sharpness is lower than without super resolution in order to soften SD picture

- on HDMI with HD signal ==> sharpness is too high, not in the standard because super resolution is always active. ==>picture is ok for HD with super resolution off.

- on HDMI with SD signal ==> sharpness is lower (in the standard) with super resolution on and too high with super resolution off. ==> picture is OK for SD with super resolution on

software solution to resolve this problem : Even in the on position, super resolution should be inactive on HD signal and active on SD to soften the picture ==> exactly as the TV tuner

This problem was present for me from the beginning (140.37)

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Thanks for that detailed description of the problem and the way Super Resolution is supposed to work.

Especially the way SR should work is interesting because, as I've mentioned a few times in another thread, on the 32" PFL9705 there is NO difference between setting SR to On or Off. I've tried it many times, with analog signals, digital signals through SCART, internal SD tuner, DVD (SD) and Blu-ray (HD) through HDMI and even files on USB: turning Super Resolution on or off makes no difference whatsoever!

The only thing I'm wondering now is, as the setting seems to do nothing on the 32PFL9705, is Super Resolution in fact always on or always off!?... Could you give me an example how I could figure that out?... Maybe with a test picture of which you know how some details should look like with Super Resolution On and Off?...

Thanks again in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by ali54 View Post
    @freddy the only time i have seen sr working is on freeview hd or sky hd never seen it work on bluray and with new firmwear it dosent work as well as old firmwears

Quote Originally Posted by christophexxx View Post
    @Freddy, if you don't see a difference SR is always off. To be ok, the picture must be analysed with a 1920*1080 patern and the white verticals bands should have same brightness on all bandwidth. Anyway if the picture is good for you, don't worry. SR on is like sharpness at level 7

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanks for your answers guys!

Especially the part where you (christophexxx) say "SR on is like sharpness at level 7", convinced me that Super Resolution is always Off on a 32PFL9705!... That's because I really don't like Edge Enhancements and therefore I only use Sharpness at 0 (for HD) or 1 (for SD). Sharpness at 7 would definitely be terrible in my eyes and I have never seen that!

But considering your first answer, I'm assuming this goes for HD only; am I right?...
    For SD, Super Resolution would be softening the picture; how can I tell if that's happening?...

I ask, because I noticed something like that on a few very mediocre, low-bitrate DVB-C channels (BBC 2/3/4 for example), using the internal tuner. When I'm watching tennis at Wimbledon, I can often see the details in the grass disappearing when there's not much happening at the time. As soon as the picture moves again, the details are back, until the camera stays still for about 2 seconds and then the details are gone again.
    It looks exactly like MPEG Artefact Reduction, except that disabling that option has no effect on this problem, nor does disabling Super Resolution change anything. I really dislike any visible, active changes in the picture, especially when they're for the worse. When I'm watching the same channel on the Cable Set-top Box, connected through SCART, this does not happen and the picture stays as sharp as it can be, considering the bad signal of course. This made me return the CI+ module, and I'm using the Set-top Box again, as it's simply better than the internal tuner, which is a shame, I think.

Is this what you mean when saying "on TV tuner with SD signal ==> the sharpness is lower than without super resolution in order to soften SD picture"?...

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Freddy,

For your problem with the BBC channels, The internal tuner has some secrets tweaks (mosquitos effect reduction, block noise reduction...) we can't settle. These artefacts réductions are done in order to improve (or not) the DVB-C signal before the perfect pixel processing.

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanks again for your answer!

I was afraid of that... Amazing that the top tv's tuner can't compete with much cheaper, yet dedicated, external ones. Disappointing, but... not completely unexpected.

So that was not what you meant with the softening effect of Super Resolution. Then how would you describe that effect:

- Super Resolution on HD ~ Sharpness @ 7
    - Super Resolution on SD ~ ???

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    being understood that the sharpness is at level 5, super resolution on SD ~ sharpness @ 3

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Ok!... Thanks for clearing that up.

So to conclude:

- Super Res. on HD looks like increasing Sharpness by 2;
    - Super Res. on SD looks like decreasing Sharpness by 2.

Well... both effects can NEVER be observed on a 32PFL9705!
    But now that I know how it would look like, I don't think I care about it at all.
    Still... officially it should be possible to use this and yet... it isn't. Strange!...

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    So far, mine is still working pretty well and it is already 2 years old. I guess that depends where you bought it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12