• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

TV doesn't recognize ExFat formatted USB memory stick!

Hi,

Maybe this is a well-known issue for you, but still I would like to highlight the situation I'm facing with.

I own a Philips 7000 series TV (47PFL7696H/12) with the latest firmware and I would like to play large movie files (>4GB) on my TV using a high-speed USB memory stick (e.g.: 32GB Transcend JetFlash 600). As most of you know, all memory sticks are formatted using FAT32 file-format. This format is universal and be 'viewed' by most of the OSs out there.

In order to copy large files on my memory stick, I had to change the file-format from FAT32 into ExFat, the reason being is that I have an Apple Macbook Pro and that is the only file-format which both Windows and Macs can read & write + it allows copying large files (>4GB). After I successfully overcame this obstacle, I had high hopes that my TV will definitely recognize and play the files I copied on the memory stick, but got this error message on the TV screen: 'Unsupported file: not able to execute'.

Is there any solution to my problem? How can I solve it?
    First, I had to overcome 4GB files size restriction and the usability of a universal file format so that my Mac and TV could read it, guess I was wrong since ExFat formatted disks are not recognized by the TV.
    Do you know if and when Philips will release a new firmware that could solve this matter or provide support for this file-format in the near future?

It's such a pain to have a brand new TV and so many restrictions.
    What's the point in having USB ports on your TV if you cannot use them to their full potential? (e.g.: play large files using non-FAT32 file-formatted HDD or memory sticks)
    As long as there are plenty of options to view data and information on all OSs out there, why can't it be on TVs as well?

Well, I hope somebody from Philips is taking this into their account and come up soon with a viable solution.

Regards,
    Eduard

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

there are different version of NTFS out there (version 5.1 and 6.0 for example). Maybe you can format your HDD with 5.1 and try again... even if NTFS is "not supported"...

Toengel@Alex

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    exFAT was introduced with Windows Embedded CE 6.0 as a proprietary filesystem by Microsoft. It is supported e.g. by Windows Vista SP1 and later as filesystem optimized for flash storage media.

The Philips firmware seems to be based on Linux (open source, royalty free). You will find Linux based firmware in many internet connected Linux appliances as media players, blue-ray players or TVs.

Microsoft filesystems as NTFS and exFAT were reverse engeneered by Linux programmers. The NTFS drivers are thoroughly tested and part of Linux distributions since years. exFAT is comparatively new and i don't expect Philips wants to pay additional royalties to Microsoft.

Linux filesystems with support for files > 4 Gigabyte are existing since decades, but Microsoft does'nt support them out of the box (e.g. Ext2-support can be achieved via driver). But Philips will have to decide which Microsoft filesystem it will support for long multi media files.

For "most Linux compatible NTFS formatting" an USB-Stick i would use a Linux live distribution such as Parted Magic. Download, burn a CD, boot from CD ...
    But no warranty for being 47PFL7696H/12 compatible.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    @Toengel
    So, NTFS file-format is not supported by Philips?
    That's just great, I'll try to reformat the memory stick into NTFS and see if the TV will recognize it.

@Perpetual Beta
    I see, but what about this article?
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...19funaipr.mspx
    if it's true, than we should have it by now or maybe Philips is preparing a firmware to fix this issue.
    Like I said, too many restrictions, you buy a brand new TV and you expect things to go smoothly, but soon you realize that it's not that simple.

Till I find a solution, I guess the only way to bypass this issue is to use a HDMI cable and play the movies from my laptop.
    Last edited by Hollister888; 12-17-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    @Toengel
    Well, you were right!
    After converting the memory stick from ExFat into NTFS (Windows NT Filesystem - compressed), my TV recognized it and it could play the movies.

Now, can it play 3D movies from USB memory stick? I guess not, I believe there was a post on the forum stating that. Do you know if Philips will fix this issue?
    Anyway, if I want to play 3D movies I'll use the HDMI cable.