• Bookmark and Share
    Gold Member
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second ClassNew Achievement!5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

PHILIPS PLEASE HELP: HTS8562/12 crashing Philips Cinema Gold TV (50PFL7956H/12)

Hi all, this issue is driving me mad for so far. I made a video to explain the problems I'm facing. This is my setup:
    - Philips Cinema Gold TV (50PFL7956H/12) - latest firmware 14.95
    - Philips Home Theatre system HTS8562/12 - latest firmware 1.27

This is the way I'd like to use them:
    - Turn HTS on when I'm turning on the TV by using Easylink
    - Play the sound from the TV set through the HTS speakers by using the HDMI-ARC sound connection
    - Turn the HTS off when I turn off the TV, again by Easylink.

These are the problems I'm facing:
    - Even when all Easylink settings are set as they should the HTS doesn't start automatically when I start the TV.
    - If I'm watching TV and I start the HTS then the tv crashes, reboots and all personal settings are lost (the picture format goes to the top most option "Auto-fill", the smart picture goes to "standard" instead of personal, PNM is on although TV says it's off - you can see ghosting on fast moving images, Easylink connection to the HTS is lost). The HTS disappears from the TV menu.
    - If I try to scan the HDMI source from the HTS after the TV-crash the HTS says it cannot find any HDMI devices connected.

I made a video to illustrate this, here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJb_pp1xBDg

To solve all this I do a cold reset, unplug both TV and HTS form power and turn them on again. But as soon as I turn the HTS back on, the TV crashes again and it starts all over again.

This issue is driving me to despair, I was having a lot of resets after the 14.84 firmware update with the TV when connected to a video source and a Philips Support Remote employee swiped a part of the memory he believed to have been written by data that should not have been there. After that the resets ceased, now there's only a reset when I start my HTS.

I talked to Philips Customer Support and they said they are going to send a technician from an affiliate repair company to take a look at the set and the settings. This appointment took place yesterday, the technician checked all settings and said they are all fine and he told me he had never seen this problem before. He said they could try to change the SSB board of the TV, but he didn't know exactly what software bundles should be loaded on the board so they are investigating on that. Now I'm waiting for them to make a new appointment but I'm not sure if the problem is with the software of with the hardware. I'm not eager to let the affiliate service technician to open my TV and change parts they are to even sure they have the right software on...

I don't know what to do anymore, what action should I take, Philips please advise, the TV is fantastic but this is not as it should be. I purchased the TV back in August, right after release and I've been experiencing nothing but problems
    Last edited by bluevoice; 02-16-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: TV software updated to 14.95, still no improvement

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi Bluevoice,

Please read the PM I've just send you.

Regards,
    JuAn
    Forum Mod

Gold Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi JuAn, thanks for your PM, I sent you a PM back.

Gold Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi JuAn,

I'd like to give you an update here:

A technician from E-care (Duiven, the Netherlands) changed the SSB board of the TV believing it to be defective. He checked the error logs and found software and hardware related error logs. Anyway changing the mainboard of the tv did not solve the issue, the problems are persisting.

After trying different things:
    - unplugged the USB hard drive that I use for USB recordings
    - changed HDMI cables (tried 4 different ones)
    - I used a different AC outlet for the TV
    - used other HDMI connection than HDMI - ARC

I now believe this issue is related to Easylink.

If I disable the Easylink Standby function on the HTS the tv doesn't crash on HTS startup anymore. Still If I disable only this function and keep other Easylink functions like Easylink Auto-on on, the TV keeps crashing when I change the source on the HTS to i.e. Radio (this is fully reproducible, I can post a video here if needed).

If I disable all Easylink functions on the HTS, than the reset problems are solved. But I actually want to use this functions! This is why I purchased this set, the HTS 8562 was / is the recommended HTS for the Philips Cinema Gold tv and I thought being both Philips products, these should be 100% compatible with each other. I think I was wrong.

I have now also contacted the seller (Philips Online Shop) again and they are going to send a technician back to solve the problem. This would be the 3rd time a technician comes along to check on this problem, the first time, the technician did not have a clue, told me he'd never seen this problem, the second technician replaced the SSB board and I have little confidence the 3rd one will solve this (Easylink) problem.

Anyway if this is the way Philips wants to play it than I must comply as I spent a lot of money in this set and I want it fully functional as advertised (TV + HTS).

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

please also check with firmware 14.93... (for your TV).

Toengel@Alex

Gold Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    I am now on fw 1.93. I installed it the day it came out on the 21/12/2011.

The problems are there from the beginning, I believe the TV was on version 14.79 when I purchased the HTS and I started noticing the resets, now on 14.93, resets still happening.

Gold Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    @Philips - JuAn: did you get my PM's? I did not get any reply from you on my findings and I'm starting to ask myself if I should keep giving you feedback.

Anyway after investigating a lot of options myself, I am now certain the reboots with the HTS are related to the Easylink connection. When I turn Easylink off on the HTS the resets are gone. I unfortunately have no means to test if this is a software or a hardware problem.

Now my HTS was taken away by a technician from E-care (Duiven, the Netherlands) and is now under investigation.

Having used only my tv for the last couple of days I still see 2-3 resets/reboots every day as I already posted in the 1.93 FW topic. So, the software event counter keeps increasing.

Anyway these resets are somewhat different from the HTS resets where I would see the Philips logo on screen. I now only see a black screen and the image gets back on quickly, so they are barely noticeable. This is how the event log looks like (see attached picture).

Attachment 777

I believe #4 and #5 are related to a service message saying: "There is a channel update available, update will be installed when you put tv in standby".
    I can't turn off channel update on the tv as it is enabled by default (grayed out). I use a UPC CI+ module and it seems that channel update is mandatory for UPC certification?

#2 was a test so this one can be disregarded, the rest are unknown for me.

I'm very, very disappointed with the feedback I / we're getting in this forum about our problems, I want to help Philips make things better, but it looks like Philips is only interested in quick wins. If you (PHILIPS) care about this, please evaluate how much feedback is given on our problems in the last 3 month. Why start a support forum if you do nothing with it? Or do you expect that only the members would help each other? Do you even take us serious?

I understand that when you get a new product on the market you can't get it 100% right away and that there are still things to be polished afterwards but leaving consumers this long with an unacceptable software is totally unacceptable. I've seen 5 different software updates in the past 2 month for my tv and still not all problems are solved.

On top of that, recently the support telephone number for TV started charging €0,10 for contacting support on tv problems. This is also totally unacceptable, now Philips is charging consumers money so that they can solve Philips problems?

I was a huge Philips fan in the past, I still own 11 different products from Philips at this moment, but I'll think twice in the future when buying a new Philips product and I'm not sure I'd still recommend Philips products to my family and friends.

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Same problem here with HTS8562 and 46pfl9706k2, both on newest firmware.
    I also found out that it must have to do with the easy link connection.
    Also HTS and my XBox are sometimes not shown in the TV-menu?!
    I also tryed different hdmi cables (ver.1.4) but it didn`t change anything.
    It often took me over 15 minutes to get the TV set working with sound etc.
    When sound switched to the HTS the first try started the HTS the second connected sometimes or crashed the TV software.
    There where moments where I was close to throw the remote into the screen and all together out of the window.
    I don`t know why but it works at the moment without having changed any setting???
    I also noticed that the IP-EPG doesn`t show the right TV shows when I go to the next page.
    Maybe the next firware will make everything better. ;-)

Gold Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem, I was starting to get paranoid about this issue.

So now we now for sure the problem is within the HTS giving the 'wrong' signals to the tv, causing the tv to crash. My HTS is still at the repair centre, I'll give you an update on this issue as soon as I get more information about the findings of the technicians of the repair centre.

I do wonder how does Philips test those producs to see if they work together, how could such a bug slip through their vingers? I'm asking this question because Philips itself reccomends the HTS8562/12 for the 50PFL7956H/12 TV. They are supposed to seamlessly complement each other and work together perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by toymanx View Post
    Same problem here with HTS8562 and 46pfl9706k2, both on newest firmware.
    I also found out that it must have to do with the easy link connection.
    Also HTS and my XBox are sometimes not shown in the TV-menu?!
    I also tryed different hdmi cables (ver.1.4) but it didn`t change anything.
    It often took me over 15 minutes to get the TV set working with sound etc.
    When sound switched to the HTS the first try started the HTS the second connected sometimes or crashed the TV software.
    There where moments where I was close to throw the remote into the screen and all together out of the window.
    I don`t know why but it works at the moment without having changed any setting???
    I also noticed that the IP-EPG doesn`t show the right TV shows when I go to the next page.
    Maybe the next firware will make everything better. ;-)
    Last edited by bluevoice; 02-16-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Corrected typo

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I guess it`s really just a software problem (at least I hope so) and that a upcoming update will fix
    the connection troubles.
    It looks like most 2011 Tvs have the same firmware? so are we really the only ones to use the HDMI-ARC feature? Come on PHILIPS i know you can do better!!!!
    With my previous cheaper Philips devices I never had so much trouble like with this 2400€ TV!

[ QUOTE=bluevoice;23503]I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem, I was starting to get paranoid about this issue.

So now we now for sure the problem is within the HTS giving the 'wrong' signals to the tv, causing the tv to crash. My HTS is still at the repair centre, I'll give you an update on this issue as soon as I get more information about the findings of the technicians of the repair centre.

I do wonder how does Philips test those producs to see if they work togethe, how could such a bug slip through their vingers? I'm asking this question because Philips itself reccomends the HTS8562/12 for the 50PFL7956H/12 TV. They are supposed to seamlessly complement each other and work together perfectly.[/QUOTE]

Gold Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    It also works here suddenly sometimes, but never longer than 1 day and then problems start again.

Yes they were migrating from tvtv to the new provider Gracenote but that did not work and now they put tvtv back but not all my channels are displayed anymore. There is a separate thread on this matter, see:

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...-does-not-work

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I know now what NOT to do so that the HTS doesn´t crash my TV.
    If I leave my fingers from the TVs remote during the startup everything works as it should, but if I press the volume buttons when the tv is starting the hts via the easy link connection the screen goes black and the ambilight is shining in all different colors. when I try to restart the tv with the remote the easy link connection stays broken. Only unpluging both devices from power supply reenables this function. Hello PHILIPS can you impliment a fix for this behaviour in the next firmware?!

Gold Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    I have an update. Yesterday I received my HTS back from the service repair centre. I was informed that they replaced the digiboard of the HTS. I tested it at home but the problems still persist I plugged a USB stick into the HTS and pressed play. The TV said BOOM and restarted showing the Philips logo. The settings of the TV changed to "Standard" instead of "Personal". I don't know what to do anymore to solve this problem...

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    As i mentioned before I guess our problems are all related to the firmware of one or both devices.
    Sill hoping that Philips will release new versions soon.
    But it would be nice if someone from Philips would place a comment here in this tread to show that they care about our problems with our highend (high priced) devices.

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi All,

We have noted your issue & are currently looking into it.
    We will update you as soon as we have more concrete information.

Kind regards,
    Forum Mod

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast