Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hello @Toengel

I bought 42PFL406K/02 few month ago witch has very good tech, but the quality of software is quite poor (Current Firmware 000.014.093.000).

I am experienced software developer and honestly this firmware looks like Beta or sometimes alpha software rather than final version - so many thins are not implemented, many things seems incomplete and the final user experience is quite poor. I agree with other users that team should focus on basic features to make them work - I believe goal should be to make it simple, fast and truly usable. If you check @turanga petition is previous post you'll set that it have over 100 people (witch would be quite large number it we consider that only small fraction of users actually posts about software disadvantages and problems)

So now to the details:

I. Build in video player usability is very poor
    1a. First of all the case when user stops watching movie and want to watch it latter isn't support at all.
    Now I have to rewind video. The problem with rewind is at first I have to do it, at second it's only 2x, so it's take very long time to rewind ex. 1h of video.
    Just think about this - Can you imagine DVD or Bluray player without ability to select scene or at least start playing from custom (user entered) playback time?
    There are few solutions to address this issue, but implementing all would feel like complete working solution
    solution a: Just play the video from the moment where user finished video playback
    solution b: Generate thumbnails list base on video file scenes and just allow user to select video scene from the thumbnails
    solution c: Allow simply to rewind faster 2x, 4x, 8x (right rewind arrow on the remote increases rewind, left arrow on the remote decreases rewind speed)
    solution d: Add ability to enter custom time

1b. Not all videos can be opened. Honestly only about 50-60% of mkv videos works at all, and some that works have visible 'slowdown moments'.

1c. Add ability to select audio channel

1d. Add subtitles support

II. DLNA browsing menu disaster
    2a. First of all it's very slow, user experience is very poor through the lag of UI and there are time you can exactly see that animations are freezing because of poor implementation. I would say it's quite opposite of Apple interfaces.

2b. Selecting movie is a disaster
    Lets say you have 40 videos in single folder. What you have to to do to go to video 35? You have to click 34 times down arrow - Guys, really? - It's disaster from usability point of view.

There are few solutions to do it right and fix this feature:
    solution a: Add ability to hold down arrow for scrolling more than one item
    solution b: Add looping in file lists (when you are on first item go to last, when you are on last item go to first)
    solution c: Add ability to go to certain letter on the list ex. When you press 5 (5 JKL) on the remove once it will jump to first file name on the list starting with J, but it you press it twice it will go to first file name on the list starting with K

2c. Missing ability to rewind pushed videos (from windows media player interface)

III. Connected devises list
    3a. Add some kind of icon showing that the port on the list is connected to the device

3b. Improve selecting connected devices - while sources list is open pressing source button should go to next connected port

IV. autoupdate
    Fix autoupdate to show newest available frimware

I'll be glad to discuss it in more details and I truly want to know that Phillis is taking user feedback seriously (actually doing something about it).
    Last edited by panel; 01-14-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Hello!

I have a 32PFL6626T/12 since a couple of months. This is my second software upgrade. Both is done by USB as the Internet upgrade doesn't work. BAD!

Sometimes the sound drops while watching digital channels (DVB-C). The only way to get the sound back is to reselect the channel. BAD! This occured in the previous release as well but it's more often after upgrade. On my 19PFL3606H/12 this is not a problem.

Now and then the TV stop responding to the remote. The only way to to get it back to work is the "Home" button on the remote (the only working button) and chose "Watch TV". This problem is the same when i use the Java app on the web so the problem seems to be in the TV.

---/T

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    If not wrong, when using Vivid mode for Smart Picture, will facing TV reboot problem.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I totally agree with panel and others...Fix the video player (usability + codecs), make DLNA browsing interface usable

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,

I am a novice to this whole Net TV thing. When we purchased the TV everything worked great. However, for two weeks now we have not been able to access Net TV. I have checked everything I know possible (layman of course)... Checked the firewall to make sure that the ports are okay. The internet connection between router and TV is working. However, I still cannot access Net TV and its driving me bananas. I am using KPN Experia box router... Can anyone give me a heads up of what I might be overlooking? My TV model number is 37PFL7675H/12.

Thanks in advance.

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

(if you stated the right TV model) you have a 2010 TV and need to update to the latest firmware (140.46) via USB.

Toengel@Alex

Silver Member
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambinimama View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am a novice to this whole Net TV thing. When we purchased the TV everything worked great. However, for two weeks now we have not been able to access Net TV. I have checked everything I know possible (layman of course)... Checked the firewall to make sure that the ports are okay. The internet connection between router and TV is working. However, I still cannot access Net TV and its driving me bananas. I am using KPN Experia box router... Can anyone give me a heads up of what I might be overlooking? My TV model number is 37PFL7675H/12.

Thanks in advance.
    Hello,

Can you tell us what firmware version you are running?
    And can you describe what happens when you try to access Net TV?

Kind regards,
    Niels

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matthias View Post
    It would be interesting to get a feedback from Philips on this, but as they are indeed trying to fix bugs, I would say most definitely "yes" ;-)
    But my feeling is it depends a lot on the speed of pressing buttons. Many bugs occur only if I have less than 3-4 seconds between each key press. When I do it slowly enough and leave enough time, it works more often / most of the time.
    In the 2011 TVs, it's easy to control the TV through javascript/JSON. Maybe with a recorded set of key presses replayed at the same speed using a webbrowser, could this help the developers in reproducing the bugs? what do you think?
    I also would appreciate a feedback from Philips on this.

Thanks for the hint to press the buttons more slowly (I would like to say "relaxed"). I also have the impression that now the reboots are occurring less often.

The JSON feature is nice, but to use it for reproducing bugs I would need a statement from Philips if this really makes sense: Pressing on the remote or via http/json may not be comparable at all, who knows?

Silver Member
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by panel View Post
    I. Build in video player usability is very poor
    1a. First of all the case when user stops watching movie and want to watch it latter isn't support at all.
    solution a: Just play the video from the moment where user finished video playback
    solution b: Generate thumbnails list base on video file scenes and just allow user to select video scene from the thumbnails
    solution c: Allow simply to rewind faster 2x, 4x, 8x (right rewind arrow on the remote increases rewind, left arrow on the remote decreases rewind speed)
    solution d: Add ability to enter custom time
    sol. a+b+d: agreed, would be nice to have. b is a nice idea
    sol. c: this actually works for me already for both USB and DNLA by pressing forward/backward multiple times.

1b. Not all videos can be opened. Honestly only about 50-60% of mkv videos works at all, and some that works have visible 'slowdown moments'.
    This can occur if they have DTS-only audio. You could use a transcoding media server or e.g. use Popcorn Audio Converter beforehand

[QUOTE=panel;23217]
    1c. Add ability to select audio channel
    [\QUOTE]
    very much wished. Philips (Thomas?) acknowledged this and said he will take it to the engineers to consider it, but cannot promise anything.

[QUOTE=panel;23217]
    1d. Add subtitles support
    [\QUOTE]
    Partially works: .srt files on USB is supported. srt muxed into mkv is not. For DNLA, you probably need a transcoding media server.

[QUOTE=panel;23217]
    II. DLNA browsing menu disaster
    2a. First of all it's very slow, user experience is very poor through the lag of UI and there are time you can exactly see that animations are freezing because of poor implementation. I would say it's quite opposite of Apple interfaces.
    [\QUOTE]
    Interesting. For me, this actually works pretty well (no difference to browsing USB). Are you using wireless? If so, can you check your connection quality?

2b. Selecting movie is a disaster
    Lets say you have 40 videos in single folder. What you have to to do to go to video 35? You have to click 34 times down arrow - Guys, really? - It's disaster from usability point of view.
    I like solution c (press letter), but requires that Philips first implements sorting, if using USB.
    Try left/right on the "outer" ring. This jumps page-wise through the files.

2c. Missing ability to rewind pushed videos (from windows media player interface)
    Does work for me on TVersity. But I had to set the Media Player to "Sony Playstation". This feature must be supported by the Media Server.

III. Connected devises list
    3a. Add some kind of icon showing that the port on the list is connected to the device
    3b. Improve selecting connected devices - while sources list is open pressing source button should go to next connected port
    3a. maybe an icon, or just the text that is also shown in the home menu
    3b. yes, why not. this would make it consistent with the other buttons.

IV. autoupdate
    Fix autoupdate to show newest available frimware
    There were problems with autoupdate from a running system - only booting in a special mode and update from USB was working reliable.
    I'd rather do it manually. I also don't want my Toshiba notebook to do a BIOS update automatically.

But I agree: just an information box when a new Firmware version is available and a hint to go to the website would be really helpful.

I'll be glad to discuss it in more details and I truly want to know that Phillis is taking user feedback seriously (actually doing something about it).
    They do, but it seems, they are low on manpower, so they start with the critical bugs first (sound drops and reboots).
    Hopefully, they are given enough time by management for usability bugs, too.
    Last edited by matthias; 01-16-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I have a problem on my TV 40pfl6606k:
    - When browsing a usb device (e.g. camera) TV suddenly reboots.
    - While using Net TV- TV reboots.
    - When I switch sat channels - TV reboots
    - When I switch TV channels - TV turns off
    FW v0.14.93.0 not stable!
    Last edited by Volly; 01-16-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    I worry - why I don't see at least someone from Philips Team here in this topic? Where is Thomas or any one else? Though somebody from a Philips team reads our messages?

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I think that a Philips team to spit on problems of consumers...

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    55PL7606K/02, FW 14.93

My Experience after almost 4 weeks testing and trying:

My two main problems are gone:
    - analogue TV Stations loosing their Favorite Flag - solved
    - Sound broken or lost after switching between HDMI Inputs and external and internal sound - solved

After successfull updating and reboot of the TV - i pulled the power plug and waited about 10 minutes.
    After that, i put back Power Plug, and switched TV on normally.

I am not using
    - the internal media player, tried it once - but it is too uncomfortable
    - NET TV, my internet speed seems to slow (2K)

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

14.93 update rolled out via internet

I was a bit reluctant to upgrade to 14.93 via download and USB stick, but yesterday evening, when I returned home, my wife surprised me when she said the TV asked her to update and she obliged. Looking at the version, the TV was in fact upgraded to 14.93. So it seems the rollout via internet has started yesterday. (42PDL7906K)

Silver Member
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Philips,

I suggest to pay attention to this post.

Right now 45 people agree with the content of the post, it means that the requests is wide shared between customers.

To all the people in this thread, if you agree (or disagree) with my request then continue to vote this poll to show to Philips your voice.

Any valuable Company take into account the feedback from the Client.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast