• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Silver Member
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Level
    Thanks

52PFL9606 screen inhomogeneity

I want to confirm the issue with 9000 LEDpro model's screens reported by @ericscheepers for his 46PFL9706 in this forum. I have 52PFL9606 with panel code 301.
    Problem is that one can see vertical shadow stripes when big areas of the picture is colored with single, light shade of color(white, blue) and the TV is panning(moving picture horizontally). This is noticeable for me mainly when watching Alpine skiing or football games.
    It looks like the screen itself has vertical shadow stripes - like dirt or LEDs not having homogenous intensity. This is NOT color banding. This is totally different issue.
    I went to see same TV set in a retailer shop - issue is present there as well. So it is not just my display having this fault.
    I would like to see some official Philips reply on this.
    Happy holidays to everyone!

PS.This problem with Philips TV screens is now widely known as Dirty Screen Effect - DSE.
    Last edited by zlatko; 02-16-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Adding comment

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Also, the Cinema 21:9 the new generation models indicate this error. It looks like banding, in the middle of the picture, it begins with a hard vertical stripes and to the right is the picture in a dark vertical movement! For this error there is in Hififorum a confirmation of several owners. Here, this error shows in a startling uniformity on multiple devices!
    Google Translator

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    This is a known problem also for the 2010 models of Philips TVs. See http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...s-on-58PFL9955

However, I doubt you will get any official admission of this problem from Philips. The last time I was complaining about this to Philips support I was told that “vertical inhomogene lines” should not be any problem with my 46pfl9705 TV and was asked to send the TV to Philips support for repair. When it returned, allegedly with a new panel, it still had the same problem.

I’m looking at “tour de ski” from Oberstdorf and the 9705 picture quality is tragic.

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    @bmandersen
    Thank you for acknowledging it. From what I have read so far to get rid of this issue one has to swap TV sets until he finds out one without that issue. Which might not be possible. I can't see myself transporting my 52" screen every week back and forth Philips service centre until I spot a perfect panel. If I know that Philips will let me choose from 10-20 TV sets at once then I can do this - that makes sense.
    In my TV the issue is not very noticeable so I can live with it.
    I hope Philips will acknowledge the problem and issue some warranty statement, but as I see how company is behaving so far that's hard to believe. None of the Philips representative here even bothered to say "We will check it"...

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I also believe that the only way to get ride of this problem is to swap the TV or change the LCD panel. What upset me is that even when Philips encouraged me to return my TV because of problems with unhomogeneous horizontal lines, they still were not able to change the panel to a panel of reasonable quality regarding these problem. Previous I have had my TV on service for repair five or six times (I’ve lost count) for various reasons and have given up the idea of sending it back to them again. After all I bought it for me to watch TV, not to loan it to Philips service partner

I guess this is not the TV to buy if one likes to watch football or winter sports.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmandersen View Post
    I’m looking at “tour de ski” from Oberstdorf and the 9705 picture quality is tragic.
    While I have seen these Backlight Banding problems in the 46PFL9706 (and therefore probably also in the 52PFL9606), I haven't seen it much in the previous 9705 generation.

Your describing it as "tragic" makes me wonder, as I was watching another ski event today (ski jumping in Garmisch-Partenkirchen) and it did show some banding, but... this was in the signal itself (i.e. MPEG Banding): are you sure the banding you're experiencing isn't in the signal either?...

By the way: Happy New Year everyone!
    Last edited by Freddy; 01-01-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    While I have seen these Backlight Banding problems in the 46PFL9706 (and therefore probably also in the 52PFL9606), I haven't seen it much in the previous 9705 generation.

Your describing it as "tragic" makes me wonder, as I was watching another ski event today (ski jumping in Garmisch-Partenkirchen) and it did show some banding, but... this was in the signal itself (i.e. MPEG Banding): are you sure the banding you're experiencing isn't in the signal either?...

By the way: Happy New Year everyone!
    All together I have had several panels installed in my, up till now, two 46pfl9705 sets. I know the problem vary between panels. My two last panels have been really bad. I can also see the horizontal lines in other occasions. It’s like having dirty statically vertical stripes on the LCD surface.

Happy new year to you too!! :-)

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    @Freddy
    It is not MPEG related issue, the vertical shadow stripes are there no matter the event you watch. They are always on the same places like the screen itself(physically) has these stripes incorporated in the protective layer or the back lighting is slightly of different intensity. Believe me - I work at field for years now(DTH operator), dealing with professional grade MPEG encoding system and I know the limitations and artefacts of MPEG(be it 2 or 4)
    I watched both ski-jumping and ski run today(Eurosport HD) - there was nothing wrong with the signal(I have 9603 in the other room, so I make direct comparison).
    Anyway it is bad for Philips as company not to react to such an clear issue. From the other side I understand them - what they can do? Replace all these 2000+ euro TV sets? With what? I assume there is no spotless screen in that aspect, so what can I get - end up with a slightly less noticeable(may be!) shadow stripes? And that after all that mess of a several exchanges?! But a simple official acknowledgement of the issue, promise to get it sorted for next year(and may be offer to get discount on next year model for 9-series owners) will have been great.

Happy New Year! ;-)

Silver Member
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    It's very sad that so many people are experiencing these problems, especially with the 2011 range (9706/9606). I hadn't seen it in the 2010 range (9705), but apparently (some of) the bigger sizes (40/46") have it too. Luckily I have the 32PFL9705 version, which does not have THIS problem... Others of course, but not this one...
    Last edited by Freddy; 01-02-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    @Freddy
    Thanks Freddy!
    Yes, it is interesting that even the obligatory "Bring your TV set to authorised service partner blah-blah-blah" was not posted by an official Philips rep here...

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Zlatko

I have exactly the same problem as you very describe - the "dirty" effect is on the same parts of the screen as a single bright/light colour moves over the screen. I have also noticed horizontal stripes (much less frequent) when a picture pans up/down. I note that the "dirty" stripes are not straight.

What have you decided to do with your tv? Do we know if anyone with a 2011 9000 series tv (46" or higher) does NOT experience this issue? If that is the case then it would appear that there is a chance of swapping and getting a panel that does not have this issue.

Even if this issue is present in all panels then I still do not now whether to replace with a different brand (e.g. Sony HX923) as, except for the dirty issue, I am blown away by the picture quality and the issue only shows up in a minority of situations. I also know that other brands (such as the Sony HX923) have their own problems.

Rephlex

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    @Rephlex
    Yes, the stripes are not rectangles, but just more or less vertical bands.
    I have seen this issue on one more 52" in display in retail shop, so I can't say if all screen suffer from it.
    As you said, picture is otherwise brilliant and I fear the mess of going to repair etc. My suggestion is we get Philips attention on this in some way and if they issue a warranty case(which I doubt) then it would be easier to get swap or some benefit from it.
    But so far no Philips official answer on this.
    Last edited by zlatko; 01-10-2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: typos

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    BUMP
    Anyone from Philips will care take a look at our complain? That is NOT the way a respectable company will behave...and that is NOT the way an individual who have some self esteem shall behave when being a company face on the web!

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    As Philips officials here are silently ignoring the multiple complains about DSE I want to suggest to all users that experience this issue to sign an e-mail letter with our TV sets serial numbers and send it directly to Philips support in general and our local representatives as well.
    Anybody in?
    Last edited by zlatko; 03-07-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Nice, in Philips we now call it DSE, the sony guys call it the "crest effect", and the samsung guys don't have a name yet...

And we don't even know the cause of this. Is it the panel, or the way the panel is driven? (i.e. overdrive artifact? )

I hope somebody from Philips will make a comment on it...

Has anyone managed to capture it on a screenshot?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to petasis For This Useful Post:

reubels (03-09-2013)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Topic