• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Programm Guide - switching channels

We bought an Philips 6606K TV and now I have some questions about the TV.
    Every newer digital TV has an build in EPG. This philips too. BUT ... why the only thing you see if you swicht channels is the name of the channel.... nearly every modern TV (even my TV USB Card) shows the current movie and the next one. Also some informations like start time and end time and so on .... so if you like to see that you MUST switch to the EPG in the home menu ... this is very slow and it would be great if you could show this kind of information (current show, next movie, running time, and current part of the movie (for exaple like this 20:15 ______,____ 22:15)) ...

or am I a bit to luxury ?

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,394
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

see clarification 7: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...mware-(TV550R1)

Toengel@Alex

Silver Member
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi mike,

I think that the choice to display only the channel name is due to leave the widest space possible to the images and my personal opinion is that I agree with them. Other vendors show EPG banners that most of the time are too big...
    However, I like that Philips is evaluating to implement it in the near future (maybe with channel resolution information, format, frequency, etc.). What I hope, is that they will leave to the customers the choice to enable or not this feature.

Regards,
    Adamo

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    @Mikee Mike: I bought the same model and was astounded by how primitive the EPG is. My cheap-and-cheerful DVB-T box in the bedroom gives me much more information and much quicker.

@Anyone: If the TV is set to use the station EPG I can scroll through the list of pages individually with the black 'down' button, or page-by-page with the grey 'right' button (Philips logic!?). However, if I use the online EPG with the pretty adverts, I can only scroll through one-by-one, and after a couple of pages it skips back to the beginning, i.e. the first stored channel, even though I have around 800 stations from two satellites. This means I cannot scroll in pages nor can I ever call up the EPG for the higher numbered channels. Bug or feature? Any ideas?

DerShortyy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeye View Post
    I can only scroll through one-by-one, and after a couple of pages it skips back to the beginning, i.e. the first stored channel, even though I have around 800 stations from two satellites. This means I cannot scroll in pages nor can I ever call up the EPG for the higher numbered channels. Bug or feature? Any ideas?
    Maybe you can try this work around. Before you open the IP-EPG choose the channel first you want the information from and the open the IP-EPG. e.g. you choose channel "656" than open IP-EPG, the EPG should now jump to this page where channel "656" is placed

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Cool Programme guide limitations

Thanks for the tip Shorty. Yes, that works as you suggest. However, I have, for example, all my German stations grouped from channel 1-99, British stations from 100-199, etc. If I open up the EPG it starts at channel 1 or the higher channel I've just been watching, which is OK. If I have no idea what to watch and want to browse and find out what's on, I have to scroll down the list to the bottom, wait for it to refresh, scroll all the way down again ... and again .... . Sometimes, it springs back to channel 1 before I even get to the third or fourth page and that makes me scream! Why can't I scroll page-by-page with one button?

Note: this is only with the IP-EPG - the simple station EPG can be page-scrolled with the right grey arrow key (which, dear Philips developers, doesn't make any sense at all. As you went to all the trouble of putting a grey and a black ring of buttons on your remote control, why not assign them sensibly: the inner ones for single item movement, the outer ones for page-wise movement, the top ones to go up, the bottom ones to go down - seems logical to me).

And while I'm in moaning mode: Mikee Mike is absolutely right - there's a lot more information being transmitted than we are able to see. Where is the detail? Philips were looking at this in August 2011 - what progress? If the competitor's products are all offering this information right now, what part of the law and certificates have they understood differently? How about putting a couple of dynamic summary lines at the bottom of the screen that show the detail of the item that we've highlighted?

Blackeye