• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

NP3900/12 won't play Radio/Online Services at all

Hello There

I received delivery of my NP3900/12 last night & tried in vain for more than 3 hours to get it to play! I can stream music fine from my PC but have no access to any online Services or Internet radio.

When I press Internet Radio I get a message saying 'Empty List' & when I press Online Services nothing really happens! I thought I would be able to log in for both napster & Spotify!

My device successfully connects to the wireless internet & acquires IP address automatically & is able to stream music from my PC but will not display any online services and/or Internet Radio stations to play.

I have set & reset it many times & made sure my location/language settings are for UK. As I say, I can connect to Internet fine but just dont have any radio stations or Online services.

It has been rather frustrating as there's nothing to suggest what I should do in the User Manual under Trouble shooting either. I am totally flabbergasted why its playing no radio or any online services. Essentially, as it stands, I am considering returning it unless someone can advise what I may be doing wrong.

I also checked for software updates but the message comes up on the device that I have the latest version. I also registered on phillips.co.uk but my device says I am unregistered when I could actually see it registered on the website!

I am totally dumbstruck by it!

Can someone please advise what I may be doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Silver Member
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    It seems that your NP3900 can't reach the Internet. The solution needs to be sought in the configuration of your router. What's your network topology and what modem/router model(s) are you using?

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Sorry what do you mean by network topology? I have a talk talk wireless router & have no problems connecting to my PC. I thought about the Internet connection too since its not picking up the time but then wondered why does it say 'successfully connected to Internet' when i set it up?

Also, would it not need to be connected to internet to stream from my pc - whichits doing fine? Rtaher confused!

I spoke to Phillips support this morning & they said it may be because I am not registered properly. I tried to register last night & after several failed attempts, it so happened that I registered it twice. When trying to unregister, the screen refreshes but it does not actually unregister! I tried it again this morning to unregister & it let me unregister one of them. NOt sure if i need to wait another day to unregister the 2nd one before trying to re-register but these things should surely be instant. It almost seems like the registration URL is being refreshed overnight as opposed to being live. Besides, I am not convinced registration has anything to do with me not being able to get any sefrvices on it?

What do you think I need to do on my router? When connecting, it asked for my wireless network password which i duly updated, it then automatically acquired the IP address & connected succeffully - although with no time or any services

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    "The Internet" is a term used to refer to the worldwide network on the other side of your router. "LAN" is the term used to refer to the network on "this" side of the router.

the Internet ---[ROUTER]--- your LAN, including your PC, your NP3900, etc.

The NP3900 may say "Successfully connected to the Internet" but it probably only means that it's connected to the LAN: it has obtained an IP address from the router and so on.

The NP3900 does not have to be connected to the Internet in order to stream from your PC; it only has to be connected to your LAN.

It does have to be connected to the Internet in order to be able to get the time of day from an NTP server on the Internet.

Now, about your problem.

First you should ensure your NP3900 has a good connection to the Internet. Then you should straighten out the device registration. One of the Philips employees active in this forum may be able to help you to eliminate duplicate registrations.

To get a good connection to the Internet I'd advise you to set up the NP3900 very close to the wireless router. Even better, connect it to the router with an Ethernet cable instead of using Wi-Fi.

If that doesn't fix the problem then you need to examine your router configuration. Perhaps you need to open ports in a firewall. Try temporarily disabling the firewall. If this means nothing to you then I'd advise you to get help from a geek friend.
    --
    Thomas
    Last edited by jdthood; 01-11-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Fix typo

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks Thomas. Know about firewalls but no idea how I can open them up on my router or configure it!

Is the point of this not that it should be wireless without having to connect via an Ethernet cable? Or is this only required for the intial set up?

I spoke to Phillips support this morning who basically said to return it as I should be seeing the Internet Radio stations...the fact that its not even allowing me to set the clock in the 'clock settings' made them feel maybe there was some mal function in the software. Surely we dont need to be IT Geeks to use any product.

I will keep you informed how I get on with the replacement product but any guidance on router config/opening firewalls is appreciated. On my Windows laptop, it askls for permission when allowing anything through the firewall but not sure how I can do that on the router itself.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Try connecting via Ethernet cable. If the misbehavior goes away then we can conclude that the problem is with Wi-Fi. Others have reported poor Wi-Fi reception, resulting in flaky NP3900 behavior. I also had bad Wi-Fi connectivity and I solved the problem by connecting the NP3900 to the LAN via Ethernet.

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi Rohit,

I have send you a personal message.

Regards
    Forum Mod

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdthood View Post
    Try connecting via Ethernet cable. If the misbehavior goes away then we can conclude that the problem is with Wi-Fi. Others have reported poor Wi-Fi reception, resulting in flaky NP3900 behavior. I also had bad Wi-Fi connectivity and I solved the problem by connecting the NP3900 to the LAN via Ethernet.
    Hi Thomas

Tried connecting via Ethernet. Also checked the config on my router & disabled firewall - same message. It says youa re successfuy connected but cant get the time and says Empty list when click on Internet radio. No onine services either. So thats me tried to connect through Ethernet & reconfigured my router to disable firewall...stil no luck. I think my device is fauty & I am having to return it.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Whats more..even can see the MAC address of np3900 in the LAN devices in my router config whjich I am assuming means its connected?

Silver Member
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi

It looks like your wireless network & inetrnet connection to router are all fine. You have one of the two problems

a) your MAC ID is not recognised at Philips server. You need to provide it to Philips.

b) Your device has a firmware problem which can only be corrected by replacing your device. No other way.

I suggest you inform philips about the MAC address first. I have seen accidents like you face in this forum earlier. Philips corrected those at their server & then things were fine.