• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

WiFi Media Connect Starts and Drops

I cannot get WFMC to hold a connection to my TV. Sometimes projection starts and then the connection drops after about 10 seconds. Other times the WFMC software clearly sees the TV but then says it can't get a response. Setup particulars:

• My TV is a 40PFL4706/F7, software version PHL-0AB_313_0 (I've checked and there aren't any updates available). I'm in the Eastern USA, so I assume it's a US version (I've see things on the web about US vs. European TV and WFMC versions)
    • PC is running Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, WFMC v1.6.42. Firewall is off. PC has a wired connection to the router.
    • Network is through a Linksys E1200 wireless router (WiFI-N). Similar results were obtained with a WRT54GL (WiFi-G)
    • There are only a few other WiFi devices operating on the network.

Unfortunately I'm not really able to try a wired connection to see if the results differ. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, as I'd really like to use this feature of the TV.

DaveL

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassNew Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Try to see if it is a networking issue or a compatibility issue with your streaming software.

Do you have a fixed ip address in your tv? Or does it obtain an ip automatically?

Try assigning a fixed ip (both in tv and router). Or check the DHCP lease time in your router when using dynamic IP.

You might also try running a continuous ping command from the commandline to see if your network connection is loosing packets.

Finally, you can also try to change your streaming software. Serviio, or PS3 mediaserver might be good freeware alternatives.
    Last edited by Northguy; 01-29-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: additional comments

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Both TV and PC are receiving addresses via DHCP, and the DHCP lease time is 24 hours. If I view the DHCP table in the router, the shortest time until expiration is 6 hours,and that's for a device that's been off most of the night. However, fixed IPs sounds like a worthwhile test.

I'll have to look into Serviio or PS3 media server, I'm not familiar with either. I wasn't aware that there were any other media serving options that would be compatible with my TV.

DaveL

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hello,

I have a 9606/12 TV and have installed media connect on my PC. I have been able to project streaming programs on my TV, but as mentioned by DAVEL60 it is not stable. I have watched golfTV during hours, but sometimes just after a few minutes the connection is broken and the message is PC might be overloaded, which is curious, because I have nothing else running on a recent powerfull PC. So the first thing is what is the real reason for the connection failure and second what is the procedure to restart the connection. I fiddle a little bit arround , shut TV, try to connect to PC on the TV etc. But mostly the message is ´busy searching for TV` I did ask Philips support by phone, but had no real help. It might be there is wireless interfering.
    So who can tell:
    1. why does it stop even when all have been working correctly
    2. what is the best procedure to restart.

atekl

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    @atekl: see my previous post to Dave.If possible try connecting with a fixed utp cable.

You might alo check log files on your streaming software to see if anything strange happens. It might even be your network access point or router. I experienced troubles with a fixed line myself and it turned out to be my router that was causing troubles. I added a simple switch between pc and tv and all troubles were gone.

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

mediaconnect

Quote Originally Posted by Northguy View Post
    @atekl: see my previous post to Dave.If possible try connecting with a fixed utp cable.

You might alo check log files on your streaming software to see if anything strange happens. It might even be your network access point or router. I experienced troubles with a fixed line myself and it turned out to be my router that was causing troubles. I added a simple switch between pc and tv and all troubles were gone.
    Hallo Jan,

You go to fast. I amazed about all the suggestions that you give. I would assume that mediaconnect is suited for the Philips TV and if that TV does not work with a fixed IP , then the program shoulsd be able to handle that. I have a Fritzbox router with maximum provider capacity ( xs4all) that can apparently function correctly. So what change in conditions makes the connection to go down.
    I am not used to look into the logfiles, so what could be the name of the file, that I have to look for ? And what could it telle me ?

You placed a switch between your PC and TV, but where did you place it . I have no line PC TV ?
    I have tried with a line between the TV and the PC and a line Router TV, but it did not help.

Apparently, when there is no streaming the connection with the TV seems to stay active ( icoon stays dark) So that would eliminate the suggestion that the connection is broken, because of other wifi interference.
    Suggestions will be appreciated.

groet, atekl

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Atekl,

The problem with these things is indeed that there are many variables that might interfere with your connection. It is impossible to judge your setup from this side. It is also impossible to expect that software (in general) can anticipate every single combination of routers, access point, streaming software and television hardware. Maybe it is not the answer you would like to hear, but you must try to eliminate options yourself, based on suggestions made earlier.

Start by eliminating as much variables as possible. Direct connection with crosslink cable would be the best. See if streaming software and tv are compatible. Then add the tv to your network. See if your router is not causing trouble. If everything works on a wired network, switch to the wireless network.

Sorry that i cannot be of more help.