• Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Exclamation All about Philips’ software...

Dear Philips’ developers!

I bought a new 46PFL9706K TV for 2300 € last week. And what can I say after testing one of philips' best TV-products yet?

The picture is amazing! The sound (for this very flat TV) is very good! Ambilight is one of the best innovations philips ever made!

!!!!!BUT!!!!! the software is rediculous! It's a piece of sh*t - not more! NetTV has so much bugs and is so slow - I'll not even think about to use it. The USB connection is just crap -> here an example:

I tried to watch some movies from my USB Harddrive, but it’s not possible!? With a f***ing 2300 € TV!?
    More than the half of my movies can't be read because of a missing DTS audio codec. Missing codec which is so common - in a 2300€ TV? You have this codec in your 100€ BluRay Players. Why it is not possible to put this codec in this hyper-expensive TV?

Ok. No codec - I'll try to watch an other movie - with an AC3 codec:

1. movie works fine, the quality is good - I was really happy

2. After 40min I had to make a 2min break and pressed the "Pause ||" button

3. But after I pressed the Play Button the movie started from the beginning again ;-(

4. Than I tried to fast-forward the movie, but after 3min I had a frozen picture on the screen and couldn't do anything!!!

So tell me: why should your customers pay more than 2000 Euros for a TV which they cannot use because of the worst software on earth?

I’m glad that Germany has a "you can give a product back within 14 days" law. Cause I will use it and get my 2300 Euros back. And then I'll buy a 46D8090 Samsung TV (1600 €) which has (maybe) a less good hardware - but it'll be possible to use it!

Oh, and I hope that TPV has better SW-developers and will fix your messed up-software after buying Philips’ TV business branch in march ’12.
    Last edited by Fitness-Boy; 02-03-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Understandable - maybe Philips should bundle every TV over 2000€ with a free BDP/HMP.
    Ask your dealer, maybe he gives you one for keeping the TV and let us know the outcome

If you take the Samsung instead, please let us know what you think of it in direct comparison.
    I think there are not soo many users who did a 1:1 comparison and tests regarding "under-the-hood" features and bugs.

(And, if we're lucky, some developer at TPV leaks toolchain/keys/sources/... to finally allow us to give our favourite TVs the software it deserves - or at least give shell access like AVM with Fritzbox )

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitness-Boy View Post
    [U]...The picture is amazing! The sound (for this very flat TV) is very good! Ambilight is one of the best innovations philips ever made!

!!!!!BUT!!!!! the software is rediculous! and get my 2300 Euros back.....

And then I'll buy a 46D8090 Samsung TV (1600 €) which has (maybe) a less good hardware - but it'll be possible to use it!.....
    Okay, so then you will buy a TV with (maybe) good software, but worse picture and sound quality and without Ambilight! That would not be my choice.... Software can be improved during the lifespan, hardware not!

Silver Member
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    softwear on philips tvs will never improve becuse they fix one thing and break some thing alse look at 9705 the only thing it had going for it was the pictuer quailty now thats missed up how can philips change the pictuer quilty of such high tv for worse i dont no.this is my last time im buying any thing made by philips

Silver Member
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matisse2010 View Post
    Okay, so then you will buy a TV with (maybe) good software, but worse picture and sound quality and without Ambilight! That would not be my choice.... Software can be improved during the lifespan, hardware not!
    I buy a TV that is made of HW and SW now.
    I want to use it now, I do not know what to do witha promise: buy and we will fix...

The money are good, so the sf must be good as well.

I'm a sw developer and I know that a early release of sw without bugs dosn't exist but in this case we have a lot of bugs with a small portion of sw!

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meme80 View Post
    I buy a TV that is made of HW and SW now.
    I want to use it now, I do not know what to do witha promise: buy and we will fix...

The money are good, so the sf must be good as well.

I'm a sw developer and I know that a early release of sw without bugs dosn't exist but in this case we have a lot of bugs with a small portion of sw!

Yes, that's the thing. I don't need a TV with super good HW and a "we'll fix the SW"-promise, "so you will be able to use your HW, one day"!

Quote Originally Posted by Matisse2010 View Post
    Software can be improved during the lifespan
    Are you serious? Look at the SW-Updates of the last 2 years and tell me: Do you really think they'll ever fix this piece of ***(SW)?

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Some good news, PROBLEM FIXED

Maybe it helps some of you but I had a few issues with my 40PFL8606H/12 TV. When using usb connected devices (external hard disks) or when I streamed data via LAN or WLAN (NAS, laptop, internet, online video services) the TV frequently spontaneously rebooted itself. Last week a mechanic came by and preventively replaced the motherboard but this did not solve the problem.
    Strangely enough after it turned out this did not help I got the comment that probably 1 of my external devices was causing these disturbances. I proofed this was not the case and again a mechanic came by yesterday, also he stated he did not have the impression the problem was caused by the TV, nevertheless he installed the new (not yet released in NL) firmware v0.14.95.0 .. and guess what, my TV does not spontaneously reboot anymore!

On this forum I read more about spontaneous reboots and other issues, the only thing I do not understand why the helpdesk does not confirm they are aware of such problems and that PHILIPS are working on fixing these in a future firmware release .. I would feel much more relieved knowing I'm not the only one .. and next to this there would not have been a need to send over a mechanic twice and no need to replace my motherboard.

I really like the TV but I hope that future firmware releases are tested more thoroughly before they are being released.
    Last edited by ivo0123; 02-03-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I tried to watch some movies from my USB Harddrive, but it’s not possible!? With a f***ing 2300 € TV!?
    More than the half of my movies can't be read because of a missing DTS audio codec. Missing codec which is so common - in a 2300€ TV? You have this codec in your 100€ BluRay Players. Why it is not possible to put this codec in this hyper-expensive TV?

I for myself don't know any TV which supports DTS through USB. Even the 3.500 € Technisat TV from my father-in-law does not support this feature. Don't ask my why, it's the fact. Guess why tools like "mkv2ac3" are so popular?

2. After 40min I had to make a 2min break and pressed the "Pause ||" button

3. But after I pressed the Play Button the movie started from the beginning again ;-(

4. Than I tried to fast-forward the movie, but after 3min I had a frozen picture on the screen and couldn't do anything!!!

So tell me: why should your customers pay more than 2000 Euros for a TV which they cannot use because of the worst software on earth?

Most of the media features of all LC TVs I know are a bad compromise only. Due to this situaton, I decided to buy a powerful mediaplayer (IconBit XDS1003D) for my 55PFL7606 TV. This mediaplayer uses the new Realtek 1186 chipset, supports all known formats and codecs, even BluRay ISO container with HD 3D framepacking content. Now let us do a short calculation: 1600 Euro for the 55PFL7606 TV, 200 Euro for the IconBit MP and 130 Euro for a 2 Terrabyte HDD, makes a total of 1930 Euro for a combination, you would be happy with.
    Last edited by centpede; 02-03-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: mistake

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    the software is rediculous! It's a piece of sh*t - not more! NetTV has so much bugs and is so slow - I'll not even think about to use it.

This.

I'm also frustrated. In fact, Philips software are useless crap. Philips need to hire professional software developers and fire all ignorant students they currently have.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    - Obviously unpossible to fix an issue within 3 ! months ! which is that serious like this :

Still a

- "Control /Hbb-TV - Issue":

The RC control led on the TV is blinking, but the TV reacts only to the Volume and On/Off-Buttons
    - without on-screen information;
    ( TV Connections: HDMI Philips bdp7600, MCD909 as external amplifier and DVD-Player via HDMI and Head-Phone-Out/Aux in, Ci+ Unitymedia TV-card and module/ Same situation with an other RC: Prestigo)

After restarting the TV everything works fine again for minutes up to hours -

but this happens several times a day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIgyz...ature=youtu.be

So I still have to restart the TV several times a day -

Problem is present with my third 9956 and I didn't have this problem with three 9955 before in combination with the same ext. devices (all from Philips: see above)
    !!!

When I (only) deactivate "HbbTV" the problem doesn't appear!!!

- Using a Ci-Module the "encrypted channel" -problem is also still unchanged !!!

- Flashing Ambilight in certain areas from time to time in wrong colours !

Please fix these issues -
    it becomes to be an impertinence,
    since (I have to complain about the "control-issue" since october : Hotline and here / even with videos)
    concerning these issues we are not talking about maybe debatable complains about "pictuce quality opinions"

!!!
    Last edited by mk81; 03-02-2012 at 04:47 AM.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    A quick remark for the new help file released to update the internal help option of tv(s)
    Well tried to install the .upg file from the support philips page then put the unpacked file to a usb stick as usual and pluged it onboard the tv. The tv refuses to see the file and returns a message that the usb stick is empty.
    Tried it several times but every time have had the same result.
    Did anybody try to update the internal help file to inform us with his or her experience on the subject?
    Thank you
    Nick

PS My tv is the 58PFL9956H with the new .95 firmware installed

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 706
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

the help file is installed differently: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/4...12_min_eng.pdf

(the instructions are from a 2010 TV, but it's the same procedure)

Toengel@Alex

Silver Member
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    I bought the new x104 xpand universal glasses, and I can not sync with my tv 58pfl9956 (model 2011). I tested with a 9955 TV (model 2010) from a friend and synchronized without any problems. Any user of the 2011 models have these glasses have had this problem?. I have read in other forums that people with Philips model 2011 is having this same problem.

Best Regards

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toengel View Post
    Hi,

the help file is installed differently: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/4...12_min_eng.pdf

(the instructions are from a 2010 TV, but it's the same procedure)

Toengel@Alex
    Thank you, it turned out that I had the file installed. A technician put the 0.93 before it was released online and another file which now I assume it was the help file.
    Tried to downolad the help file for the 58PFL9955H but it seems it is corrupted. I am refering to the help file from the greek support page.
    Nick
    Last edited by limpitakis; 02-04-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kookaburra View Post
    I bought the new x104 xpand universal glasses, and I can not sync with my tv 58pfl9956 (model 2011). I tested with a 9955 TV (model 2010) from a friend and synchronized without any problems. Any user of the 2011 models have these glasses have had this problem?. I have read in other forums that people with Philips model 2011 is having this same problem.

Best Regards
    Do not be alarned I am experiencing tha same problem. I have both the 58PFL9955H and 58PFL9956H and the Xpand X104 glasses.
    So I have contacted the Xpand support and I am quoting their reply
    Nick

Thank you for choosing our product with regards to your question this might have something to do with the firmware compatibility of the glasses and the TV since 2010 model Philips Cinema Platinum 58PFL9955H works with X104. The firmware upgrade might be one of the factor to resolve the issue with the compatibility and synchronization of both the glasses and the Philips Cinema 2011 Model 9956H and with regards to the release of the XPAND X104 Software Download for iphone and android we expect it to be live mid February of this year. Should you need further assistance don’t hesitate to give as a call at 1-888-906-1190 or email us again.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast