Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Is the epg a joke?

Hi,
    I just bought a 42pfl7406t and i am trying to figure out the ip-epg. I must be doing something wrong, because no major tv company would put out an epg this bad.
    Why can't I record using just the broadcast epg?
    Why does the ip-epg reload every time I turn on the tv from standby?
    Why is it so slow? I have a fast connection!
    Why can't I set a reminder when using the ip-epg?
    Why doesn't it recognize all my channels?m

I'm doing something wrong right, because this is just silly. I need a quick response, because if this is how it's supposed to be, I can still return the set and get a Samsung or lg.

Naeem

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 960
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

what you see, is what you get - nothing more... ;-)

Toengel@Alex

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

but is it how its supposed to be?

getting what you see is ok, but is this how its supposed to be or am i doing something wrong. my experince so far is so bad, that i think i must be doing something wrong, because what i am getting is silly.

1) everytime i turn the telly on, the epg has to sign in and reload, and it takes so long, is it a setting issue, do i need to change the settings? will it remember what it downloaded just a little while ago?

2) Why so slow? my ADSL connection is fast, i stream stutter free HD videos. again, a setting issue?

3) why cant i just use the broadcasted epg, its so much better, why cant it allow recording?

4) why doesnt the ip-epg allow setting reminders like the broadcasted epg?

5) and one more thing, how do i get a box on the screen showing the program running when i zap. that would be just great!

i really hope that tweaking with the settings is going to resolve some of these issues, if it doesnt i need to know pretty soon, because recording and epg is essential to me, and it if this is the way philips wants it to be than i need to know so i can return my set and get another brand instead. my dealer allows me to return within 4 weeks from purchase.

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    1) After turning the TV on, it will need appr. 2 mins until everything is loaded. Then it works with acceptable speed on my 2010 TV. Then I do not see the box to sign in.

2) What is slow? Do you mean the epg? Do have updated to newest firmware?

3) I do not know.

4) What setting should be reminded? Maybe I did not understand the point.

5) I think you are meaning a box with the title of the current broadcast? The channel name is shown on my TV. The box with the title of the current broadcast was called Now/Next feature in former discussions. I think there are patent licensing issues with it and that is the reason, why you don't have that feature on Philips TVs.

I hope I could help you with some points. Maybe you can create a video what you are doing when experiencing the very slow IP-EPG. Then I could tell you if it is the same speed on my side or if you experience an issue.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

this is not good enough

1) why does it take 2 min, the broadcasted epg is there the second you turn on the tv. why should we have to use the ip-epg?

2) browsing the epg is slow, when i click my way downwards to the nest list of channels, the channel names and logos change, but the programs are listed as if the epg was still showing the channles from the first screen.

3) What i am trying to say is that i want to record programs from the listing in the broadcasted epg, not the ip.epg.

4) if i find an interesting program that runs in say one our, i wish i could set the tv to remind me about it. using the broadcasted epg it is possible, but not if i use the ip.epg. why not? why is philips so attached to tvtv?

5) all satelite receivers have this. why doesnt philips? why doesnt philips just pay what it cost to include it in the tv, it cant be that much, since even low-end budget receivers have this feature.

Platinum Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    1) The TV set needs some time to boot, like you may know it from a PC. TVs were getting more and more complex over the last years, so the have a real operating system. This is getting more similar to a PC operating system. But I heard rumors, that Philips is working on improving startup time in future models.

2) The IP-EPG has to be loaded like a webpage. There is some kind of lag when scrolling. But most times it is ok for me. May there was an increased load after christmas? Maybe it is slower on your side than on my side? If you can show a video, this would make it easier to answer.

3) Sure, I understood, what you have written. But I do not know the answer. I just know, that you need IP-EPG for recording, because I have read here in the forum.

4) Sounds interesting, I did not know the remeber feature. But I also do not know, why it is only possible when using IP-EPG. But I think IP-EPG is a little better than broadcast one on my 2010 TV. More details, looks more beautiful...

5) I do not know, why they do not have it. I never had a receiver with that feature, so I was not missing that feature. But I'm a little curious about it. Maybe I will like it. There were many people compaining about this here.

Hope, this helps you a little ...

Platinum Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Today, I saw that IP-EPG was really slow and unusable. I saw the broadcaster staying the same and channels changing. This happened at 20:20 today. Maybe there was Zoo much load due to new TVs. But it was definitly faster some time ago.

Platinum Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Now, 23:20, it works much more fluent. Seems there was too much load before...

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Seriously, is it a joke?

This TV has the absolute worst usability of pretty much any electronic device I have ever used. DVB set top boxes have had working EPGs for years. How can you make such a mess of existing solutions. Traditional non-IP EPGs work perfectly fine. This attempt to fix a non-existent problem has backfired quite massively. The IP EPG is basically unusable. It takes me anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute to change a damn channel. Sometimes it just locks up and I have to back up to the Home menu. Please, Philips, give me a choice to use a traditional EPG.

EDIT: My internet connection works fine, by the way. Found the way to switch to broadcaster provided EPG. Will not be looking back.
    Last edited by boxhell; 01-10-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    It's really a joke and it's also something that Philips will regret cause it will create so much Philips haters..

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    i wonder wether people at philips read this and think about how their systems work or if they just keep on going with what they have. because the philips nettv is really really poor, and the epg IS A JOKE! why? philips knows better. ofcourse they do, philips have been making tv's for as long as i can remember. they know what people want. then why do they wish to use this system? why do they wish to stay connected to tvtv? what is philips connection to tvtv? what about getting rid of the nettv as it is and starting over.

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I've just purchased a Philips PFL376606T/12 TV, and it's got a great picture, low input lag for gaming and in many ways is great for PC use.

Even though the user interface is slow-ish and the graphics take me back 10 years, everything works. I can live with that.

BUT! The IP-EPG! It.Is.Horrible. It can take up to 2 minutes to load once I turn on the tv the first time. Or it might not load at all and I need to restart the TV. Also my modem always needs to establish its connection first and then I turn on the TV otherwise nothing happens.

Again as with the general style these Philips TVs have, the design of the IP-EPG takes me back 10 years. I mean I could not believe my eyes after first using my parents Sony ex524, and then this. It's unbelievable.

After the IP-EPG manages to make a connection, it is sloooooow. Navigating in it is a pain, and clicking a program for additional info brings up some more loading and waiting. Like someone above already mentioned, it lags behind when scrolling down to show a new page of channels and shows the program info of the channels on the first page.

There is NOTHING GOOD about the IP-EPG.

I sincerely hope Philips is already in works for a new EPG. And please don't make it require an internet connection. Please. Any change is good.

Not to mention the ads...

EDIT: This also blows my mind: If you want to save tv programs on USB, you need internet. This requires an USB slot. You also need to plug in a memory stick into a USB. So we need 2 USB for this. The TV only has one.

Yes, I know I could use ethernet cable, but thats just more wires.
    Last edited by Hattu; 01-17-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Thumbs down EPG and Recordings!

I can confirm all the issues, which were reported in previous posts about the extremely slow EPG (especially during rush hours).

What is additionally most annoying is that previous recordings are only accessible from the harddisk when you can access the EPG page which is not possible at rush hours. So you cannot start to play a recorded film around 20:00, you have to wait till around 8:45 to access the recordings page again.

And i have cable bound high speed internet access on my TV set, so it is definitely a Philips server bottleneck problem.

I would not buy this TV again according to these EPG issues!

Platinum Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I would agree, that working on IP-EPG speed will be a significant improvment in user experience!

It is not always the same speed, sometimes it is very slow, sometimes it is acceptable. But having that variation gives the user the feeling, that this is not reliable. This is also the feedback, I got at home. Compared to the old videotext, this is really bad. The videotext is much faster, reliable and stable. But it looks ugly.

When the user looks at the first page, the next ones should be loaded in background to increase switching speed.

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I've just returned my 37PFL6606T and got a full refund. Feels good. Specs of the TV were great: sharp motion handling, no blur, great blacks, low input lag for gaming and so on. Great picture overall. It had some great aesthetics aswell with the brushed metal look.

BUT for me this was all ruined by poor usability. The user interface and remote were slow and had dated feel to them graphics and colors wise. The unimaginably bad IP-EPG was the nail in the coffin.

Great piece of hardware ruined by software.

I'm getting a Sony now, and I hope in 5 years when I think I'll need to update my TV again Philips will have some great software running in its TVs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast