Gold Member
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second ClassOverdriveNew Achievement!5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Exclamation SmartTV UI is "over engineered"

Hi,

for me the UI of SmartTV home is a sort of "over engineered" because of to much different UI-elements.
    The Apps are on horizontal pages, the recommendations are on vertical pages.
    The App-pages are indicated by rectangles, the recommendations -pages are indicated by circles.
    The focus at App and "Now on TV" is a white Frame around the icon, at the recommendations its a highlighted background.

So for me it looks like, that the software engineer for the App-Display at SmartTV home was a different guy than the engineer for the recommendations and obviously thy did not talk to each other.

From my point of view this has to be improved.

Enjoy your TV, it's fun.
    bta

PS: The large light triangle on left upper corner of Now on TV and recommendations - it will indicate that there is a light source - philips advertises it's tv's having low disturbing light reflections due to the special glas of the screen but the SmartTV-guys insert such a disturbing reflection by software ?!?.

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bta View Post
    The large light triangle on left upper corner of Now on TV and recommendations - it will indicate that there is a light source - philips advertises it's tv's having low disturbing light reflections due to the special glas of the screen but the SmartTV-guys insert such a disturbing reflection by software ?!?.
    Hi bta,

sure, this indicates a light source. The SmartTV surface makes use of such high glossy reflection effects. But I don't think they are disturbing. I think they make the UI look beautiful.

And for sure Philips tries to remove reflections, which might disturb the user while watching TV. This was one reason for buying a Philips TV. But those are not real reflections which reduces your picture quality. You can still see everything fine.
    Why not put some light effects in a UI at the right corners to make a UI nice?

Gold Member
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second ClassOverdriveNew Achievement!5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smart View Post
    Hi bta,

sure, this indicates a light source. The SmartTV surface makes use of such high glossy reflection effects. But I don't think they are disturbing. I think they make the UI look beautiful.

And for sure Philips tries to remove reflections, which might disturb the user while watching TV. This was one reason for buying a Philips TV. But those are not real reflections which reduces your picture quality. You can still see everything fine.
    Why not put some light effects in a UI at the right corners to make a UI nice?
    Hi smart,

well I do agree that the UI of SmartTV in total is a advancement and I write my posts in order to support further improvement - I assume the same motivation at your side.

Although the main complain in my initial post is about the many different UI elements I also write about the light effects. In principal there is nothing against such kind of effects, but my opinion is that more is not always better and indeed I'm extremely sensitive against such reflections.

So maybe a suggestion that fits for all the different demands: Why is the light effect such a hard triangle. Let the light effect fade out at the diagonal line. Be more realistic like at the AppGallery-Icon and less artificial like the triangle is right now.

I'll appreciate your thoughts about my suggestion on the light effect - and also on the initial topic about the UI-elements.

Enjoy your TV, it's fun!
    bta

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi bta,

yes, I think the motivation is the same for us on both sides. I know, that your main complaint was about the different UI elements. I just picked the light effects from your post, since I like them and I think they are quite beautiful.

I did not comment on the other points, since I would generally agree, since it is a main principle in ui design to keep things simple and consistent. So having the same horizontal dots for the recommendations would be a simplification. But I did not mind about it, the function was intuitive for both and it did not look bad to me. So I would say, it is also allowed and ok. This principle is just a guideline and there are violations allowed, if they work.
    I did not find that point important, so I did not comment.