• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

NP2500 & myRemote - yes, perhaps, no, and why not?

I am curious why Philips' remote app currently would not suppport the older Streamium models and if support is planned and if not what is holding it back?

Silver Member
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    As what I understand from the threads about this they only support some of the newer models ( read some)and not the " older range"....

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    yes, that's what I understood and, tbh this sxxx big time. After all it's UPnP we're talking here which the old units support fine, so there is no reason at all not to do it. Still, coming from my experience with Philips I'd consider it their typical stupid move - abandoning existing products rather than supporting and developing them and and trying to make their customers buy the new stuff instead. Well, wrong thought, the only sale they will be creaitng with me is my 2500 on ebay - and I won't be back, I'll look for long term value and consistency otherwise.
    Last edited by quadrophoeniX; 03-07-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Gold Member
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Hi !

The MyRemote application for Android/iOS is not about UPnP, except for the pushing/pulling of tracks.
    The Remote interface in MyRemote that mimics the screen of the NP3x00 and MCi8080/900 devices is about a completely different and non-standard ( = not UPnP, nor DLNA) implementation that as far as I understand, requires more HW juice than the older NP2x00 devices can provide.

Cheers !
    /T

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Tias,

thanks for your input, but I beg to differ here:
    The newer devices are solely UPnP compatible clients much like the old ones. (They just state basic UPnP and not DLNA compliance in their specifications) And they still even bundle Twonky as a UPnP server to stream music.
    Any information passed on to those renderers must come from the machine running this very server, all database processing power is on this end.
    The new NPs, TVs can - as the NP2xxx and older WAK devices - be completely remote controlled by any generic UPnP CP app.

The "juice" needed tu run an app and render the GUI should exclusively provided by the host device that runs it (unless they messed up programming and stream the screen content which would be a retarded approach).

Ergo, the lack of support must logically be only restricted due to marketing strategic reasons.

But, hey nevermind, I was just curious about an official statement on this, after all there was some rumours about an app from the very start on Streamium Cafe, as you probably recall. But no answer is some kind of answer, too, as they say...
    And when I said I put my dough elsewhere I was completely serious. I am on Raumfeld for a while now and more than happy (oh, and btw. they have a great Android and iOS app that could perfectly control my NP2500 )

Gold Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi !

As far as I have seen, the MyRemote app requires a webserver running in the target device.
    Thus, more juice is needed in the renderer, even if it's UPnP ControlPoint compatible since UPnP is not about a built-in webserver at all.

(Due to the lack of MyRemote support for the NOP2900, I am usually using Skifta as UPnP CP for my NP2900 and it works quite well, except when my WLAN has a hickup )

Cheers !
    /T

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Tias,

so you say the remote app relies on multiple webservers in your network (given you own multiple Philips devices)? That sounds weird to me. Also, if they run dedicated webservers in their machines I wonder why they even need and bundle a dedicated UPnP mediaserver in the form of Twonky then...
    Anyway, I own multiple CPs in th meantime and previously I was preferring PlugPlayer but with my Raumfeld app I can now even stream TuneIn, Napster, Simfy and Last.fm on top of my local media.
    After all i was just looking wheter myRemote could add something making it worth to keep my NP2500 for some special feature. Not that it 's a bad client/renderer in any concern - it's just that it won't do sync multiroom with my other gear, so it will have to go...

Gold Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by quadrophoeniX View Post
    Hi Tias,

so you say the remote app relies on multiple webservers in your network (given you own multiple Philips devices)? That sounds weird to me.
    Why weird ? Sounds quite smart to me; the device itself determines how the GUI will look like in the MyRemote app and no new version of MyRemote is needed for each and every new device supporting the app is released by Philips. I would have chosen the same design myself
    Also, if they run dedicated webservers in their machines I wonder why they even need and bundle a dedicated UPnP mediaserver in the form of Twonky then...
    You are talking about two different things here, MyRemote and UPnP Control Points.
    MyRemote has nothing to do with UPnP. Well, lately, it has AllShare bundled in it, but I am talking about the "Control" part of MyRemote.
    Twonky is a UPnP Control Point and Server.
    Twonky is needed for those who wants to control their devices from a PC. It also offers a much better UPnP server for their PC-stored media files.

Anyway, I own multiple CPs in th meantime and previously I was preferring PlugPlayer but with my Raumfeld app I can now even stream TuneIn, Napster, Simfy and Last.fm on top of my local media.
    After all i was just looking wheter myRemote could add something making it worth to keep my NP2500 for some special feature. Not that it 's a bad client/renderer in any concern - it's just that it won't do sync multiroom with my other gear, so it will have to go...
    I agree.
    But I found a good use of my NP2900; I put in my sons' room so he won't be a part of the MultiRoom devices. Good when using that feature late at night

Cheers !
    /T