Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

DS9800 becomes unavailable for airplay time after time

I have a problem with DS9800 airplay speakers.
    The speakers randomly become unavailable for airplay streaming, although it remains on and available in airplay menu of iPad. If I try to send the streaming signal to the speakers the playback just stops.
    All other functions continue to operate: device is visible on the wi-fi network, I can play music through aux connection, indicator shows that the unit is on.

Usually this happens after a few hours of being idle, but there's no rule. Sometimes it happens overnight, sometimes it does not.

The wifi network is fine, my B&W zeppelin air doesn't have such problem.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Same problem

I just want to say that I have the exact same problem. Everything works fine except for the AirPlay streaming from iTunes or iOS.

Using a third party utility built for AirPlay (AirFoil) which provides an actual error message instead of Apple iTunes' odd error-numbers I managed to see that the AirPlay streaming server (which lives inside of the speaker) simply crashed and returned a 500 Internal Server Error.

I have two sets of speakers, and they both have the same problem. The one which is also connected through a mini-jack wire to my TV does it more often than the one which stands single - but they both have the problem if they are allowed to stand idle for about 24-48 hours.

I am waiting for a firmware fix from Philips. Without any access to logs on the unit it is impossible to diagnose this further.

Philips, feel free to contact me for details. I tried contacting you through the customer chat but was dismissed.

Model: DS9800W/10 (two sets, both have same problem)
    Firmware: 3.8.79.1001

Both are connected to a Apple Airport Extreme Base station (I have tried to connect to my other wireless router supplied by my ISP and the problem persists)
    Last edited by rby; 03-03-2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Updated with firmware etc.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I wanted to update this thread as yesterday Philips released a new firmware (3.8.88.3700) for DS9800W.

The firmware does indeed address the problem of this thread. It seems that the firmware operates as some sort of patch. If the internal software that lives inside of the speaker is made aware that the AirPlay server has crashed it is restarted in a few seconds.

Therefore, when trying to establish contact through for instance iTunes it will still produce an error - but if one retries immediately afterwards it works as intended.

All in all a good temporary fix. Hoping though that the next version of the firmware will address the acutal problem so that retrying will not be needed.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Hi there - I've got the same problem. Firmware is 3.8.79.1001, which according to the Philips UK site is the latest version. I found changing the IP address from the standard 192.168.1.1 has improved things somewhat but I can still crash the speakers if I skip through too many songs in a row.
    Where do I get firmware 3.8.88.3700 from? Its not available on the UK site. Thanks, Dave

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Check out here:
    http://www.usa.philips.com/c/audio-s.../en/?t=support

I just updated the software, will post the result in a few days.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Ahh...this looks promising. I wonder why it's not the same across all the Philips sites.

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    @davepricerobert: you do not need to reset the speakers manually, the process is accomplished by itself. Push "ok" you will hear a white noise from the speakers and after 5-10 seconds the bonjour page will reload and allow you to upload the file.

Just fyi: I did the update from a Macbook.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    @zoyss: thanks for your help but I'm afraid even after repeating the process 10 times in row it still won't work.

@Philips Support: what can I do to fix this situation? I'm stuck with this version of the firmware, which is not acceptable. No matter what I do the process fails. I click on ok on the firmware update page, it comes up and tells me the device is preparing to update the firmware. After about 10 seconds the page trys to refresh and then times out. The speakers have a flashing red light and no longer is discoverable.

I do work in IT so I feel fairly competent in my approach to this problem. I've tried applying firmware using both windows 7 pc and also using bonjour via an iMac. I've tried doing it connected via the home router and also doing it using the Philips air play network. Nothing works! What else can I try?

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    ******PROBLEM FIXED*******

You need to ensure that before you do the firmware upgrade that the light on the back of the speaker is a solid green. If it's flashing green, then hold the off button on the back of the speaker for 5 seconds before running through the set-up process again. Once the light is a solid green, go to the 192.168.1.1 webpage and run the firmware update again.

I have tried so many different things before discovering this! Sounds simple and it is but if you're not looking for it then I guess it's not that obvious. I hope it helps others who might be suffering similar issues.

Thanks,
    Dave

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Okay - so I managed to get the firmware update to apply but like everyone else the update has not fixed the root cause problem of AirPlay dropping out.

Come on Philips there must be a way to get this fixed!

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Some additional information for people experiencing problems with the firmware upgrade:
    I tried in vain for may hours to update the firmware of my DS9800 speakers and even entering the IP address mentioned in the “Firmware Upgrade DS9800W” page did not help. The speakers kept on blinking in red and entering the IP address led to a time out because the IP address could not be found.
    Finally I found the solution for the update by comparing the IP adress of the Fidelio speaker with the one shown on my WIFI router listing. The IP adress which was shown on the Fidelio update page did not correspond to the one of the router listing. After entering the IP Address shown in the router listing I could finish the firmware update process without any problems. The new firmware 3.8.88.1000 now allows a quicker connect to the WIFI router when powering up the speakers. Before it used to take up to 2 minutes and now the connection is established almost immediately after the quickly blinking LED switches to the slower blinking.
    I hope this will help other users who had problems updating the firmware. I also should mention here that the German Philips support I contacted over the phone did not have a clue as to the solution of this problem.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Good point. I'm just happy that something has been done on this issue. As long as there's a progress, I'm pretty happy with it.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I've had no Airplay dropout issues with continuous play for several hours. They're only a week old so maybe the latest firmware has resolved some of the issues. I must say I was a trifle concerned after reading all the above hassles but I can't fault them and the sound quality is superlative

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear users,

We understand the frustration this issue is generating. To improve the quality of our product, we will appreciated a lot if you can provide us with more information for our investigation:

1. Under what conditions did you detect the problem of blinking red? Was it during playback of music via airplay, or via the MP3 link?

2. How long did you use the unit before the problem happened? Any special user pattern?

3. Did you find the failure when you were working on a FW upgrade?

4. Any other thing that you may tell?

5. Would you be able to give the serial number also?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Kind regards,
    Philips Moderation Team
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Excellent that this is being dealt with. I have so far had three seperate pairs of DS9800W - all of which has died. One (the first one) turned itself off and refused to turn back on. No lights, no nothing - just as dead as if no power was connected. The two other ones died with the red flash as the others' in this thread.

With regard to the questions I will focus only on the latter two, as I suspect the former one was a switch-issue rather than this one with the red flash:

1.)
    Both units were connected to my Samsung TV set through the headphone jack. At the same time I regularly used an iPhone 3GS, an iPad 1 and iTunes on my Mac to send music to the device through AirPlay. The units were both updated with the latest firmware 3.8.88.1000. There was no issues with connectivity or reception prior to the incident. I was not there, and the speakers must have been completely idle when it happened.

One of the speakers broke down like this: I returned from work where the speakers had been on standby. When entering the room I heard a weird "whuuuush"-ing noise from the speakers. It sounded just the same as the sound that comes right in the middle of a firmware update - but they had already been firmware updated a long time ago and I or any other had not initiated a firmware update (I live alone and the wireless network is secured). After trying to reach the speakers setup-page to see what was going on (but it was unreachable) and waiting for about an hour I pulled the power from the speakers, waited and put it back. By then they showed began to quickly flash green and then flash red slowly - with no option of reset.

The other speaker broke down while I was not there. It had begun flashing red by itself (I was not in the room when it happened, so I do not know if the "whuuush"-ing sound had been there prior to my arrival. Pulling power and reinserting produced the same quick green flash followed by the slow red flash.

My theory is this: The units somehow put themselves into a firmware upgrade mode OR some kind of safe-mode from which they cannot themselves recover. I have no idea what causes this, as I was not in the room when the incident began. I can only say that no "humans" interacted with the devices when they broke. It might have been a NAS-server on the network calling out some broadcast message - but I doubt it. The best fix for now must be to isolate the situations in which the speakers turn into this "safe" mode - and then make additional checks to make sure it does not happen when its not supposed to! But then again, if any components are broken inside the unit - the issue might be a different one than can be fixed by firmware.

2) About 4-8 months for all of them. See above for usage pattern.

3) No. Incidents happened many weeks after updating to latest FW. But please note that in one occation the speakers sounded like they were in some kind of update or safe mode.

4) The speakers were working brilliantly up until the point I left them idle and went back to find them broken.

5) I will be happy to give serial numbers for all the above mentioned units. But not in this thread as I already had trouble with the Danish philips department giving me mixed messages about the SN of one of the units. Please send a PM to me - whomever needs the numbers.

Best RBY

Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Remko View Post
    Dear users,

We understand the frustration this issue is generating. To improve the quality of our product, we will appreciated a lot if you can provide us with more information for our investigation:

1. Under what conditions did you detect the problem of blinking red? Was it during playback of music via airplay, or via the MP3 link?

2. How long did you use the unit before the problem happened? Any special user pattern?

3. Did you find the failure when you were working on a FW upgrade?

4. Any other thing that you may tell?

5. Would you be able to give the serial number also?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Kind regards,
    Philips Moderation Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast