• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Silver Member
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

audio problem in netbook connection

Hallo,
    I already tried to contact Philips assistance here in Italy, but they did not manage to explain the cause of my problem.

I connected my notebook to my 37PFL7605H/12 via:
    1) VGA cable and
    2) audio cable from notebook "audio out" to TV "VGA/DVI audio in"
    Adding a Computer to the Home menu connected via VGA, it works!

Then I connected the same notebook to the same TV via:
    1) DVI cable from notebook "DVI" to TV "HDMI 1" (but I also tried HDMI 3) through a DVI-HDMI adapter and
    2) the same audio cable from the same notebook connector (Audio out) to the same TV connector (VGA/DVI audio in)
    Adding a Computer to the Home menu connected via HDMI (1 or 3), it does not work, because I hear no audio! The only way to hear the audio in this second scenario is to connect the notebook "audio out" to my HI-FI stereo, via the same audio cable.

Can you help me, please?

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I do the same with my mediacenter DVI -> HDMI convertor to HDMI2 input and L/R audio out to 3.5mm audio in. Audio works. Although I encoutered initially some problems but suddenly it worked.

I assume there is an algorithm in the TV to assign the 3.5mm audio in to a HDMI input (or other input) Question is how this works.

So in your first use case the TV assigns 3.5mm audio in to the VGA input. When you changed the video input to HDMI the TV has to reassign. The TV has to be triggered that now HDMI and audo in belong together. but how?

I assume when you select VGA input you will hear the PC audio (maybe it will be muted as there will be no video but I'm not sure)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    The audio detection mechanism for the PFL7605H and related sets works like this:
    When the TV sets detects digital audio on one of the HDMI inputs, it assumes that there is an HDMI device connected and the TV will switch to digital audio via HDMI. When there is no digital audio detected on HDMI, the set assumes that a DVI device is connected and will switch to analog audio via the 3.5mm plug automatically.
    You can't (and don't need to) set anything in the TV menu for this.

So when it doesn't work, maybe you can try another DVI to HDMI adapter?

With kind regards,

The Philips NetTV forum moderator.
    Forum Mod

Silver Member
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vgerwen View Post
    So in your first use case the TV assigns 3.5mm audio in to the VGA input. When you changed the video input to HDMI the TV has to reassign. The TV has to be triggered that now HDMI and audo in belong together. but how?
    Thanks for your feedback, vgerwen. I think you are right, the problem is how to tell TV to assign the audio in to that HDMI. Maybe I did not try to delete the Computer connection via VGA from the Home, do you think it would help?
    I will make this attempt: I will delete both Computer connections (VGA and HDMI) from the Home, then I will re-add the HDMI one only.
    But I don't think it will work: it is like the TV "believes" that a HDMI connection brings its own audio, so it does not need to enable the audio input on audio in connection.

Quote Originally Posted by vgerwen View Post
    I assume there is an algorithm in the TV to assign the 3.5mm audio in to a HDMI input (or other input) Question is how this works.
    Well, I wrote this post here because I expect that Philips support knows how this works...

Quote Originally Posted by Philips View Post
    The audio detection mechanism for the PFL7605H and related sets works like this:...
    Sorry, I did not see your post before sending mine.
    Thank you very much for your explanation!

Quote Originally Posted by Philips View Post
    So when it doesn't work, maybe you can try another DVI to HDMI adapter?
    So do you think it is possible that with my DVI to HDMI adapter the TV detects a fake digital audio signal and does not switch to analog input? How is it possible? I don't want to spend money to buy another adapter just to discover it won't work anyway.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
    Last edited by pistoiaa; 09-29-2010 at 03:16 PM.