• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Encoded digital audio sound through HDMI with Philips DVD/Blu-ray

I have Philips TV model 42PFL3704D (FW 1.6) bought new in 2009 in USA. Recently I discovered the digital coaxial connector on the rear which, with my receiver, allows dolby digital surround sound from antenna HD broadcasts

I then set other peripherals to send dolby digital sound through HDMI out of my TV digital coaxial connector. What's really cool is that I no longer have to fiddle with my receiver remote to select the device and lip-sync is great (was really bad with Comcast DVR optical audio output).

1. Comcast DVR into HDMI1. No user menu, but used a trick to set encoded audio digital passthrough. Power off, press menu then navigate the hidden menu => Dolby digital out of the TV digital coaxial connector

2. AppleTV into HDMI2, if I set Dolby Digital to ON (instead of Auto) then dolby digital out of the TV digital coaxial connector. I also had to set Netflix quality to highest on their website to get dolby digital from Netflix.

Where I have got stuck is the DVD/Blu-ray player into HDMI3. I tried two Philips models but I can set neither to send dolby digital into HDMI1,HDMI2 or HDMI3
    - Philips DVDR3600 (bought in Singapore)
    - Philips BDP3306/F7 (bought in USA)

I also tried connecting my MacBook Air to the HDMI and discovered something interesting. Mac OS shows the number of audio channels and whether "encoded digital audio" is supported. Toshiba TV and Denon receiver and several soundbars all show "encoded digital audio" is supported into HDMI. However Mac OS shows "encoded digital audio" for Philips 42PFL3704D HDMI is not supported. Strange because this works with AppleTV and Comcast DVR, just not with the Philips DVD/Blu-ray players Perhaps a software/firmware bug? Naturally I would love an official Philips TV firmware update that would let encoded digital audio work through HDMI for Philips DVD/Blu-ray players Thanks!
    Last edited by chuckles; 04-10-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: polish!

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks - same end result. Are you able to check your TV HDMI input audio support (e.g.: my test with MacBook), is "encoded digital audio" supported?

I also tried a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 blu-ray player: after trying the various hdmi audio settings I could not get it to pass through dolby digital audio into the Philips HDMI input. It will do this with a Toshiba TV.

This makes me think in effect that the Philips 42PFL3704D (FW 1.6) TV HDMI input is telling peripherals: "do not give me encoded digital audio" rather than any bug on the dvd/blu-ray firmware. Seeing as it works fine with non-default settings on the AppleTV and Comcast DVR, I wish it did not do this
    Last edited by chuckles; 04-11-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: polish!