• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Flac error after update firmware

Hello,
    I bought this mp3 player model SA3MXX04K/02 4Gb http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...n=SA3MXX04K/02 last year specifically to play FLAC.
    It worked very well even after I did the firmware update from version 1.10 to 1.12 with the original software kit provided by the player.
    Last week I did update to version 1.13 with the correct kit taken from the official site at Philips and not from the player that I lost by formatting the memory.
    I found the error "File Format Not Supported" by adding new tracks to FLAC format in the memory of the player.
    The thing is that the existing FLAC songs could be played. But when I moved existing songs from the player FLAC to HDD and back I got the same error "File Format Not Supported".
    After several attempts to use repair and update to version 1.13 which resulted successfully in terms of software update.
    However the problem persists with the error "File Format Not Supported".
    On closer analysis I found that the software update which has taken another model (id = 'sa3mxx02k/93') from the same family.
    If you give me the original software kit from the player.
    I mention that the other formats as MP3 WMA and APE work according to specification.
    Please, I just love this product. I can't afford to buy a new one.
    PS: Sorry for my English.

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear kmeleon22,

Could you advise if you are using Device manager for SA3MXX04K/02 for an upgrade and repair? Or you have used the Device manager of SA3MXX02K/93?

As far as I understand the whole range share the same upgrade software, so there shouldn't be a problem.

So our generic troubleshooting steps go like this:
    1) Reset by inserting a pen tip to the reset button on the back of the device;
    2) Factory reset by Settings > factory settings
    3) Upgrade software using Device manager (which I think you already did)
    4) Repair using Device manager

If all these do not help, we have to suggest you to go to service for your device.

With thanks & regards,
    Philips Moderation Team
    Forum Mod

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I used the SA3MXX04K/02 kit. I redid today all 4 steps and now is wierd. My model became gogear mix/93 with firmware version 1.13. yesterday was gogear mix/02 1.13. after last step when i have to choose the language is an asian one (below turkce) not english after repair or update. Still no fix about flac format not suported. I did mention that the player plays fine the other formats (mp3 wma ape).
    The original kit could save all the trouble or the firmware.img version 1.10 for model sa3mxx04k/02. I asked the local store from were i bought if is possibile to copy from another player of same model the kit but they said is not legal to do that.
    With respect, kmeleon22.

Model and Serial Number SA3MXX04K/02 JF1F1145012146 original firmware 1.10 when i bought it in 22 nov. 2011.

New text here : 27.08.2012

I'm back to announce that the problem itself solved for now. Maybe I'm lucky since today I was going to send it to Service on Local Store and copied again the flac files.
    I don't know what I did but now it works. It can play Flac files that didn't worked.
    I will test this week a lot of flac files.
    From what I remember I did play around in settings with fullsound and equalizer with APE files.
    Next from boredom I started The Radio and Auto-Tuned and Manual-tuned for stations that are missing.

Extra: I Found one interesting trick.
    1.Play at first start a flac or ape file (do not play a mp3 file before playing ape or flac or it will freeze in 99.99% cases).
    2.Go and select FULL sound ON.
    3.Next go to equalizer to Rock (or other preset it doesn't mather and note here it will freeze if you did play a mp3 before ape or flac) but don't select it with play just get back with back button.
    And voila you get sound more powerfull. So powerfull that in one song i had to select 27 or less to avoid clips and sound stops.
    I know the sound can damage your ears if listen to max 27. my optimum sound level is 12-5.

My Final Thoughts:
    My observations are that file indexing were messed up inside the player. Once I copied over 300 mp3 files filling all 4 GB leaving 10 mb free space. Some mp3 played others not. The most concerning thing was that the Updating... took more than 15 mins. In windows files are okay.

About player:
    The sound is superb with good quality headphones like SHE2550 or better SHE3582/10. The stock headphone are good for surround only, with no bass and weak treble.
    The player is buggy as long you update to last version provided on site (1.13). the factory firmware is good enough (1.10).
    Plays with flac all compressions, ape with fast and normal only, mp3 wma wav exactly as advertised and specified in manual.
    The fullsound function is like a bassboster with extra 3d effects with extra fat sound. it is good with dolby stereo surround music only.
    Last edited by kmeleon22; 08-27-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: no double posting.