Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Benedickte View Post
    Hi Davideo0

I'm sorry you find this missleading, but please also see the *, where you can see further down it's stated:
    * USB recording is only possible for digital channels covered by the TV IP bases Electronic Programme Guide (country and channel restrictions may apply); recordings may be limited by broadcast copy protection (CI+). An Internet connection is required.

As you live in the UK, you are not using a CI+ module but a digital set-top box. This also mean that you are not able to do the recording , only pause live TV.

Best Regards
    Benedickte
    You are telling me something I know NOW after having purchased the set and additions.
    The point I am making is that it is not at all clear that it applies to UK.
    Philips seem to be assuming that the customer is going to carry our searches to find whether it applies to his particular location.

Philips could have given a list of countries to which that paragraph does not apply in the advert.
    In which case the customer could make an easy decision. In my case a negative one!

I had to come to this forum before it was made clear. That is FAR TOO LATE!
    The public I maintain are misled by that advertisement in a big way.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Not impressed with Philips reaction at all, and like others I will not buy their kit again - not least because of their feeble reaction when it is pointed out that they do not make the spec of the kit clear. In the user manual it simply says "Note: In some countries, recording is not
    supported." I don't think that is adequate at all, when there are repeated mentions of the ability to record to usb. Sorry Philips, you disappointed me by not clearly stating what works and what doesn't, and then your response on this forum is really pretty insulting. Unhappy customers don't tend to return, and don't make positive recommendations I am afraid.

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Let me tell you a story.

When I first set up my 7666 it defaulted to a Finland setup with Finnish web apps and a Finnish EPG. Still don't know why, but it turned out to be serendipitous. I switched the apps to UK to find iPlayer, no problem. However with the Finnish channel search this has enabled the network EPG which is mostly correct and therefore can be used to make recordings. Although it's a Finnish setting the data which have been supplied are English, so there's no problem there.

This is not a perfect solution, however, as there are some drawbacks: Times are all over the place, but if you trust the EPG, don't use your telly as a clock and don't mind subtracting 2 that doesn't really matter. The major problem is that it disables the red button functionality so you can forget digital teletext, although the BBC alternate streams can easily be accessed by changing to the appropriate channel. They're not well covered by the EPG, however, although they are present.

It is the channel search which sets all this up, so you don't have to do a complete reset. I've had a play and tried a few different countries, but have found that Finland works best. Ireland didn't work well at all. This does not affect iPlayer as web apps have a separate nationality setting.

None of this faffing about should be necessary, however.

I agree that Philips and associated vendors should not leave it up to potential buyers psychic abilities. If something is advertised on the .uk website it is a reasonable assumption that the information therein should apply specifically to the UK and if it's a UK vendor there should be absolutely no deviation.

PS. It's also worth having a play with the web apps for other countries if only to see just how short-changed UK buyers of this TV are. Philips really should put some work in there.
    Last edited by guilbo; 08-08-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Update: The Advertising Standards Authority have issued a draft recommendation that Philips were in breach of Code (Edition 12) rules 3,1 and 3.3 (misleading advertising), 3.9 (qualification) and 3.11 (exaggeration) and must withdraw these claims from the advert. In addition, Philips suggested resolution of an asterisk which lead the reader to a footnote saying "not in the UK" was also unacceptable as the main target of the advert was likely to be UK readers.

So pathetically crippled firmware and illegal advertising. Thanks Philips.

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Well, Philips really has a problem with misleading information. In 2010 I bought my 9705, whose EPG (both DVB-T & IP-EPG) never worked for Greece. They had this asterisk that it many not work on all countries, but of course no list was available on which countries it does work, and whether it worked for Greece or not.

And if due to lack of information, somebody follows comon sense ("all brands have this feature, philips will also have it"), you end up spending your money on a feature lacking product.

And after two years of waiting for support, and the "life period" of the product ended, nothing was actually fixed. The product remains with sound drops and no EPG, despite the fact that at least EPG is a small firmware fix, and they know the fix, because 2011 models have DVB-T EPG.

But I will know better in afew months that I will replace the 9705 with a model that can do EPG and play movies from HDMI without sound-drops...

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Well the Advertising Standards Authority have now ruled on this issue.

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudi...DJ_199641.aspx

Accordingly:

The ad breached Code (Edition 12) rules 3.1 and 3.3 (Misleading advertising), 3.9 (Qualification) and 3.11 (Exaggeration).

The ad must not appear again in its current form. We told Philips not to claim that the product's "record" function was generally available as a feature when it could not be used with UK settings.

It's a sad state of affairs when a company's customers need to do this. Philips, if you wish to talk about what you have done the floor is yours.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    I've just bought one from Richer Sounds - so they are selling them as well - I also have issues mainly that the only on demand system that works is the BBC iPLayer - would have expected them all the others (4oD, etc.) to work via the internet App but alas not!

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi all. Just wanted to thank you for diagnosing the problem and reporting it to the ASA. Based on that I was able to get a refund from Richer Sounds for my 47PFL4007T with no hassles. They said no one across the company was aware of the issue, and they have changed the in-store display AND the feature list on their website.

As the recording didn't work, the normal EPG was slow and terrible AND the TV was very unresponsive I decided to take the whole thing back and replace it with a Sony. The difference is astounding (but it really shouldn't be).

Thanks again for doing the legwork. Just wish I'd seen this thread before I bought the TV!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12