• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Platinum Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Unhappy DTS pass-through

Hi all,

I recently bought an 46" 9705, and I discovered that pass-through of DD/DTS received from HDMI to the SPDIF output is malfunctioning. It works only for Dolby Digital, but not for DTS. Has anyone tested it?

Without passing through DTS, you cannot connect an amplifier to get the correct time delay when watching movies (the vast majority of which have DTS sound nowadays).
    The 9705 replaced an older 9731 which was passing both DD & DTS received from HDMI to SPDIF, and now my setup is broken. Do you think that this is a software or a hardware problem?

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear customer,

This is a hardware issue. The digital input in your earlier TV-set (9731) entered the TV via a separate 'digital audio in' connector (not via HDMI), and passed it through via the 'digital audio out' without any digital processing.

In the new TV-sets (like the 46PFL9705) the only supported digital audio via HDMI is Dolby Digital (DD) because there is no processing available in the TV for DTS (so this is not send out via S/PDIF).
    We only support AC3 (= DD) and LPCM over HDMI and therefore also for HDMI-ARC (Audio Return Channel). Looping through DTS without S/PDIF input is no longer supported.

The rule followed is that HDMI audio and video always must give the best possible quality. Since our new TV products do not have DTS support, it is not possible to allow DTS over HDMI to the TV since we will not get any sound on the TV speakers then.
    In our current products, the customer always hears sound, even if he/she selected DTS audio. The source (DVD or Bluray) will convert it to LPCM and then transfers it via HDMI. The best way, in this case, is to select AC3 instead of DTS. The S/PDIF out and HDMI-ARC will then still output a multichannel sound, which it does not in case of LPCM.

So the best way to handle this is:
    - to use an amplifier to delay the audio.
    - another possibility is to put the TV-set in game mode, which makes the picture delay as small as possible.
    - a third option is to use the ARC feature of the HDMI-1 connector, but then your Home Cinema Receiver must also support this HDMI-4.1 feature (see also explanation above). More on this topic can be found here and here.
    Last edited by Philips; 09-28-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Forum Mod

Platinum Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I am not sure that your details were exact regarding the 9731 model.

The 9731 didn't support DTS as well, but it is able to receive DTS from HDMI, and send it to SPDIF with the correct delay.
    The speakers of course make no sound.

Platinum Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Also, how can DD be selected when watching a movie, since most movies have DTS nowadays?
    Is there a bluray player that supports such a function?

If I want to add a delay to my amplifier, what is the delay I must set? I usually watch movies using the cinema profile. Is its delay known?
    My amplifier has a delay from 0 to 20 ms.

But it is still surprising that the engineers chose to remove such a useful feature that an older model had. Owners of previous 9000 models find that features are silently disappearing. This is sad for the owners, and if the buyers are disappointed Philips should be more concerned when removing features...

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petasis View Post
    Also, how can DD be selected when watching a movie, since most movies have DTS nowadays?
    Is there a bluray player that supports such a function?

If I want to add a delay to my amplifier, what is the delay I must set? I usually watch movies using the cinema profile. Is its delay known? My amplifier has a delay from 0 to 20 ms.

But it is still surprising that the engineers chose to remove such a useful feature that an older model had. Owners of previous 9000 models find that features are silently disappearing. This is sad for the owners, and if the buyers are disappointed Philips should be more concerned when removing features...
    Hi Petasis,

It is true that most BluRay discs have DTS, but almost all will have Dolby Digital (AC3). If you look to the DVDís which are on the market then 99.9% have AC3.
    Dolby Digital is the most dispersed format on Bluray and DVD discs and enjoys the most possible support on HTSís (Home Theatre System) including the older legacy ones.
    That's why it has been choosen NOT to support DTS on our TV's.

It is indeed possible to connect the DVD/Bluray source directly to the HTS and use the TV as a monitor. This can be done automatically through HDMI-CEC and the "Easylink" settings on the TV. However if the HTS, used in this setup, does not support HDMI-CEC then the internal speakers can be muted via the TV speaker settings.

The rule of tumb for setting the delay in an external audio receiver or HTS is depending on the Natural Motion compensation settings in the TV:
    1. If Natural Motion is set to "off" => then the external delay is like in the games mode and is about 55 ms.
    2. If Natural Motion is set to "on" => then the video latency is about 100 ms for xxPFLxxx5 sets (with the exception for 200Hz display sets type xxPFLxxx5 where it is 200 ms) and 200 ms for a xxPFLxxx4 or 3 sets.
    Forum Mod

Platinum Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I have tested 4-5 blurays from the video club. None of them had Dolby Digital sound...
    The receiver remained silent (connected at the TV's SPDIF output), the TV also.
    I couldn't find how to enable Dolby Digital sound from these bluray disks...

Tags for this Topic