• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Philips 42PF9946/12 blu-ray throug VGA problems

Hi!

I have some problems with my old Philips plasma TV 42PF9946/12.
    The TV does not have HDMI input and I can not get a good/clear picture from my blu-ray player using the composite input.

I purchased one of those HDMI to VGA converters hoping to solve the problem and it worked but not perfectly...

The TV has fixed resolutions and the blu-ray player has it's own fixed output resolutions so at the end only the 1080p worked for me even if the TV actually does not support 1080p naturally. All other output resolutions from the blu-ray player result in "Resolution not supported" message on the TV...

So far so good... The picture at 1080p is quite good and rapidly better than the composite signal but the problem is that the TV can not synchronize it correctly - the whole picture is shifted to the left side of the screen and the available settings in the TV menu does not allow me to center the picture correctly. As a final result I am loosing the left part of the picture...

Can you help with some ideas/tech info how to resolve the situation - I tried the service menu (062596 i+) but could not find any geometry settings inside to allow better horizontal synch...

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Just for information here below are the top three rows of the service menu:

18961 LC42EP1 2.08/S42GV1 2.10
    ERR 0 0 0 0 0
    OP 152 148 014 017 236 031 003

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Your TV should be HDMI ready so you could use HDMI cable and be able to take advantage of it. Otherwise, you can't do anything about it.

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, suntattood!
    Unfortunately I have no way to add HDMI port or make the TV in any way HDMI ready - the only choice to get clear enough picture from the TV is to convert the HDMI signal to VGA and to hope the TV accepts the resolution after the conversion.
    I performed a resolution test connecting the TV to my desktop computer and found out that it actually accepts much more resolutions than those stated in the manual. What I also found is that at every different accepted resolution the picture is positioned differently and higher resolutions move the picture more and more to the left side of the TV screen. Unfortunately, of all PC resolutions that work with the TV only the 1080p resolution is supported by the modern blu-ray players and I get the problem I am looking a solution for...
    Reading around the other forums it looks like not all the non HDMI TVs has this problem and may be there is a solution (except buying a new TV) but for now I have not found it...

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 858
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Hey raphil,

sorry to say but what you want will simply not work for serveral reasons.

1. on vga the TV expects informations like horizontal or vertical orientation
    the TV does get those informations from the converter but not the right ones as the converter can not get the correct informations from the HDMI Signal
    2. Highest supported Resolution on the VGA port is 1024x768
    3. and important one. While watching Blu Rays, HDCP will be active and will stop the TV from showing a picture. Bypass HDCP is not something you should ask here!

So what can you do?, If you Player got this, use a YPbPr connection to VGA, both are analog Signals and should work better than with a Analog>Digital Converter. So you can at least enjoy everything which is not HDCP Protected.

But i will and can not asure that this will work. SOrry to say but this TV is not build to work on HD Mode, it is not HD Ready or something.

In the End, to enjoy HD at its best, you should really think about a new TV with native HDMI Ports.

Regards
    Thomas