• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Volume/Software Problems

I have a 42PFL6704D/F7 Television that suddenly won't allow me to adjust volume. It is stuck on 0 on the screen and will not go up, will not let me engage mute, or anything. When I tried it on the side of the TV it cycled through the different inputs (AV, SIde AV, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc.) When i pressed channel on the side of the TV, it turned the set off. Talked to Philips and they suggested a software upgrade via a flash drive. I did that as well but my only problem is is that I learned when i lost the volume that my Philips remote didn't work. When the prompt came up on the screen to update the software, I couldn't "arrow up" to yes or click "ok". I have never used my remote in the past, always used Directv remote. Called Phillips back and they said buy a new remote from our parts supplier after having me point it at a cell phone. I am sort of nervous about paying for a new remote for a repair that I am not sure will even work. Could I do this by purchasing an inexpensive universal remote just to get the software installed? Has anyone done this software upgrade and had success? I am really frustrated at my $800 paperweight in my TV cabinet that is less than three years old. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am not proficient in this so please be gentle......

Silver Member
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Yes, you can use a cheap remote. You just have to make sure the "Ok" und "Cursor" buttons are available.

But if your remote is defective (sounds like), a firmware update may not solve it. Maybe the volume-down button is stuck? Can you open the remote control and clean the connection pads?

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    It is not stuck. I did try a universal remote that had the "OK" and cursor buttons. Went through every potential Philips code to try & get that remote to work with no luck. I am really frustrated. I am wondering if maybe the spot on the TV that receives remote commands is faulty. The Directv remote will turn off the satellite receiver & change channels, but will not work the volume or turn the set on & off like it always has. Still can't get either the Philips or Universal remote to do anything. Like I said, i'm just leery buying a $50 Philips remote that may not even work. Asked Philips if it didn't work could i get my money back for the new remote. They, of course, said no. Any further suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,