Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

40PFL8606 .avi NOT working on DLNA but working on USB

Hi,

I've got a 40PFL8606 TV

I can play a 1.3 GiB .avi file (see description below) using a USB stick connected directly to the TV.
    I'm unable to play the same file through DLNA. I can get smaller video files working (<~1 GiB). I can listen to music (mp3).

I tried xbmc and serviio as DNLA server but there's no way to get this file working through my network. Of course downscaling (if available ) has been disabled.
    This file is just a example and I'm having the same problem with other >1GiB files.

TV is up to date with the last firmware and the connection is ethernet with a gigabit switch (no wifi).

Any idea ?

Thanks

Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile : OpenDML
    File size : 1.31 GiB
    Overall bit rate : 1 456 Kbps
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD
    Duration : 2h X mn
    Bit rate : 1 131 Kbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Codec ID : 2000
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 320 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Same with me. I also tried it with external hard disk and it also works, but still not with DNLA server. What seems to be the problem?

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience Points1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Overdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by youplaboom View Post
    Hi,

I've got a 40PFL8606 TV

I can play a 1.3 GiB .avi file (see description below) using a USB stick connected directly to the TV.
    I'm unable to play the same file through DLNA. I can get smaller video files working (<~1 GiB). I can listen to music (mp3).

I tried xbmc and serviio as DNLA server but there's no way to get this file working through my network. Of course downscaling (if available ) has been disabled.
    This file is just a example and I'm having the same problem with other >1GiB files.

TV is up to date with the last firmware and the connection is ethernet with a gigabit switch (no wifi).

Any idea ?

Thanks

Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile : OpenDML
    File size : 1.31 GiB
    Overall bit rate : 1 456 Kbps
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD
    Duration : 2h X mn
    Bit rate : 1 131 Kbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Codec ID : 2000
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 320 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels

Hi Youplaboom

I would advice you to update to latest software that came out yesterday. you will find this on the support page for you TV.

What is the exact Message you get when the files isn't playing?
    Have you tried to play this file from Windows media Player 11, if you are using windows, or Twonky Media if you're using mac.

As I can see you are saying this file is working over USB and smaller files works over DLNA, your TV is fine.
    This seems to be an issue with network limitations. It can be the cable you are using not supporting a lagers amount of transfer or you are using to much of the network connected to other devices so it;'s not enough for playing this file.

Best regards
    Benedickte
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Benedickte View Post
    Hi Youplaboom
    I would advice you to update to latest software that came out yesterday. you will find this on the support page for you TV.
    I'll test that

Have you tried to play this file from Windows media Player 11, if you are using windows, or Twonky Media if you're using mac.
    1. I don't remember it anymore. I'll take a picture the next time I get it
    2. No, I did not use Windows media Player 11, I made my tests with xbmc and serviio (as my post sais), my aim is to use a NAS as DLNA server . But I'll test it for you with that ( Windows media Player 11 ) software.

As I can see you are saying this file is working over USB and smaller files works over DLNA, your TV is fine.
    This seems to be an issue with network limitations. It can be the cable you are using not supporting a lagers amount of transfer or you are using to much of the network connected to other devices so it;'s not enough for playing this file.
    1. Cable is Cat 6 so it's gigabit ready
    2. The switch is a gigabit switch (as I already said)
    3. My router refers 5 connected device on the newtork. 2 PC, 1 TV, 1 access point, 1 cell phone. So no bottleneck

But I know one bottleneck in my network, it's the router, which is a 100mb router. I'll change it to check if it improves the network. But there's no reason to route data through it on the same subnet. If the TV does, perhaps its network implementation is incorrect and then it's up to you to fix it.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi again,

The bold parts are the themes on which I except an answer from you.

Good news, after the firmware update, streaming of those files is now possible over the network.
    Bad news, it takes between 50 seconds and 3 minutes to load the files.
    Subtitles work with the USB stick, but no way to get them working with a dlna server.
    I got a successful stream with
    • xbmc
    • serviio (transcoding disabled)
    • all share, guess what, that's the embedded app from samsung on my galaxy SII mobile phone. That little thing streams with no transcoding through my 54mb wifi to my philips TV, flawlessly.

Hi Youplaboom
    Done finally, so it's Q5551-0.14.99.0

There's no message when the file is not playing. Just a black screen
    I have tried with windows media player, the codec ( MPEG-4 Visual) is not recognized so there is no way to test it further.

About network limitation, what is the bandwidth the TV needs. I think the network is not an issue, as once the stream has started the task manager says it uses 1% of the 100mb available. That matches with the "Overall bit rate : 1 456 Kbps" given in the .nfo file, even if the windows task manager should indicate 1.5% of network use.

Thanks for your support

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Hey

Black screen and no error means, that the TV is waiting for the Server to start, so its lets call it "prebuffering". But thats a Matter of the Server as the TV is only showning whats been delivered by the Server.
    About SUbtitles, indeed we don't support that via DLNA because our TV's cant handle 2 Streams the same Time, a Subtitle is a Second Stream.
    Only way to get this Solved is to hardcode the Subtitle to the Video.

Thomas

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Thomas View Post
    Hey
    Black screen and no error means, that the TV is waiting for the Server to start, so its lets call it "prebuffering". But thats a Matter of the Server as the TV is only showning whats been delivered by the Server.
    3 Different servers on two different devices having the same slow "prebuffering". I do not agree, the problem is on the TV. You tried to blame every component on the network except the TV. It was the network cable, the bandwidth, the number of devices or whatever...
    There's no prebuffering necessary for a < 1GiB file, why should there be one for a bigger one. There must be a mis-implementation in your firmware.

About SUbtitles, indeed we don't support that via DLNA because our TV's cant handle 2 Streams the same Time, a Subtitle is a Second Stream.
    Are you kidding or what, wake up all your competitor do support subtitle and You even do support it with USB. I checked xbmc and serviio documentation and they support subtitles.
    I found here that (http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/minidlna) that the 40FLH7605H isn't able to stream subtitle and that's a one generation older TV. The list also says that other brands do have the ability.

Harcoding implies transcoding the video to merge it with the subtitle text. This is just nonsense as the TV has a great video decoder, providing a great picture.

This is getting ridiculous. You've got a 90% implementation of every feature, just give yourself some motivation and you'll reach that 98% where everything interconnects fine.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    But thats a Matter of the Server as the TV is only showning whats been delivered by the Server.
    I borrowed an intel i7 with a gigabit ethernet adapter at the office. I installed ubuntu and the minidlna service.
    The problem is still the same 1 minute and 10 seconds so that the film starts playing.

It's definitively not a "matter of the server". That's the third piece of hardware and the fourth software that I test with the same result. Draw the necessary conclusions from it.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hey

Thomas
    Had to ask a question here Thomas :-)

How are subtitles through DLNA a second stream, and subtitles from USB and CAM/DVB-T not a second stream? What is the type of "stream" we are talking about?

Hardcoding? But please :-) 1-2 hours of recoding just to be able to see subtitles through DLNA? You can't beat that logic :-)

I believe this is completely just a matter of firmware, and not a matter of the TV itself. And again, it is plain non-sense for a TV with a media player. In Craig Ferguson's words...sometimes only a curse word will do.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi, I've a 40PFL8606H working with DLNA without problems. Below I post my confiuration in order to help:

- FW 14.99, but older worked also ok
    - Network cable CAT 5E
    - Network speed 100 Mbps
    - DLNA server Mezzmo, device set to Philips TV 8000 Series 2011
    - Transcoding: NO (TV decode). Also tested YES and it works Ok.
    - DLNA lists: NO (server sends directly the directory structure)
    - DLNA filter by content: YES, if direrctory is music only then it filters the extension, if video do the same and so on.
    - Containers: mpg, avi, mkv. Most of them larger than 2 GB, specially HD contents.

I expect than some of my configuration can give you a clue in order to solve the problem.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    My DLNA has been working without problems using any DLNA server I tried - Windows Media Server on Win7, Tversity, Serviio etc. Have my TV connected through ethernet to a Linksys router with Tomato firmware, both laptops (one with WD MyBook) connected through 54Mbps wifi on the same router. Never had any problems with streaming video, except MKVs with non supported (DTS) audio stream.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi everybody,
    Thanks for your support. Looks like it is homework time. Here are my results.

To make the tests I simplified my network. I borrowed a Zyxel NBG-417N router.
    So on my test network there is just the TV + one computer connected to the router.
    Two cat 6 cable are used for the test lan.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl View Post
    Hi, I've a 40PFL8606H working with DLNA without problems. Below I post my confiuration in order to help:
    I tried to copy the settings of "jgl"
    1. FW 14.99// I'm up to date
    2. Network cable CAT 5E// I took directly cat 6 cable
    3. Network speed 100 Mbps// Ok on that point too. router 100mbps, computer 1000 mbps
    4. DLNA server Mezzmo, device set to Philips TV 8000 Series 2011// Did that too
    5. Transcoding: NO (TV decode). Also tested YES and it works Ok// Did that too
    6. DLNA lists: NO // I didn't find that parameter
    7. DLNA filter by content: YES // I think it's on

The movies still take 50 seconds to start.
    By the way, Mezzmo is a very rich featured DLNA server. Absolutely not what I'm seeking.

On the same "simple test network" I performed a test with the ubuntu computer and the minidlna server. It also takes 50 seconds to start.

Quote Originally Posted by starterz
    Never had any problems with streaming video
    The streaming itself works fine. How long do you have to wait for a file to be loaded?

Again, thanks for your help

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Aha, ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. I am waiting for just a few seconds before the video/movie starts playing. Mostly avi/xvid. What configuration is the computer running the DLNA server? Is there a difference with different video types? I am using TVersity on two laptops, first one a older pentium dual core, second one with newer (but not very strong) AMD dual core.

I don't see that the network is to be blamed here, it works fine through WiFi at my side (TV with ethernet cable, two laptops on WiFi).

I am guessing that the time is due to some buffering by the DLNA server. It should be interesting to get to the bottom of the problem.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starterz View Post
    Had to ask a question here Thomas :-)

How are subtitles through DLNA a second stream, and subtitles from USB and CAM/DVB-T not a second stream? What is the type of "stream" we are talking about?

Hardcoding? But please :-) 1-2 hours of recoding just to be able to see subtitles through DLNA? You can't beat that logic :-)

I believe this is completely just a matter of firmware, and not a matter of the TV itself. And again, it is plain non-sense for a TV with a media player. In Craig Ferguson's words...sometimes only a curse word will do.
    Any comments from Philips? What type of streams are we talking about?

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Is there a difference with different video types?
    It's downloaded xvid, with sizes around 1.5Gb. I don't think I download anything special. I tested and repeated the problem with several files.

I am using TVersity on two laptops, first one a older pentium dual core, second one with newer (but not very strong) AMD dual core.
    I made the windows XP serviio and xbmc tests on an amd athlon dual 2 gigaHz cpu.
    I made the ubuntu tests on an intel i7 computer. That one is powerfull.
    After my test I definitively think the computer power is not an issue. DLNA should work with (even) a little NAS powered by some Atom CPU.
    Network monitoring during the stream indicates that it uses around 1 mbit/s. That's not a challenge, even for a weaker CPU.

I don't see that the network is to be blamed here, it works fine through WiFi at my side (TV with ethernet cable, two laptops on WiFi).
    Got that, that's why I borrowed another router.
    Everything here is now borrowed and new, except the TV (which is new but not borrowed )

I am guessing that the time is due to some buffering by the DLNA server. It should be interesting to get to the bottom of the problem.
    I'm a bit short of idea actually. If anyone has a clue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast