View Poll Results: If my Smart TV would know me it would, it would most importantly...

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
    The results in this poll are hidden.
  • Log me on to Skype, Facebook, Twitter, E-mail, etc.

The results are hidden 0%
  • Show me recommendations based on what I like

• Show only apps that I added

• It would automatically adapt all picture settings to my preferences

• Switch off parental control; of course switching on when my children use the TV

• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Philips - Usertest

If your Smart TV would know you...

What do you think should happen if your Smart TV would know that you are using it, in stead of your partner, child, parent, etcetera. Please let us know by filling out the poll!

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

the idea is nice, but it's hard if more that one person are in front of the TV (in case you want to identify people by facial recognition)... Questions are:

- Who has priority? Maybe one should be able to make a priority list in the TV setup.

- Can I circumvent e.g. parental control by showing a picture of the parents to gain access? Liveness detection can be a solution or some challenge-response system.

From my daily (biometric) work point-of-view, I have many ideas floating around... :-)

Toengel@Alex

Philips - Usertest
    Hi Toengel@Alex,

These are definitely issues that need to be considered thoroughly. Thank you for adding them to the discussion.

Hester

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Hester, all,

since the recognition is always a threshold based decision, a good training of the users' template is needed. If the system does not recognise you - especially in bad environmental situations - the acceptance of such a system decreases dramatically. In case of facial recognition, sunlight is an extreme factor. Also in the evening/night people often are watching in dark rooms (yeah - we have ambilight and need to additional lighting ). To cope with such situations, one can of course reduce the threshold, but this increases the possibilities to circumvent the system. And if (see poll #1) login datas are loaded automatically, this can be a security issue (kids should not read all mail...).

Since it is an identification scenario (compared to a verification scenario), what happens, if an unknown person is recognized? Does it load default values? If yes, what happens if a friend of your kids "loads the defaults" and now the adults channels are available?

Questions, questions, question... ;-)

Summary: if an (biometric) identification system is used, usability and convenience need to have top priority! Especially in consumer electronics. And there should be always a backup system (or the possibility to disable is).

All the best,

Alex
    (Researcher :-))

Gold Member
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    No vote from me. I would like ALL apps to be compatible with ALL devices (e.g. SBS app!!!!).
    Furthermore a working HbbTV for my 2010 device.

When this is solves come back with these kind of polls.

Philips - Usertest
    Thanks Alex!

I won't go into details on how to identify users. Aside from the careful design this requires, the result of it needs to make sense. As far as the poll goes, this is what I'm trying to get at. For example, if identification results in nothing more than a beautifully designed welcome message I suppose it wouldn't make much sense for you...

Either way, thanks a lot for your feedback. We can alsways use input like this

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    I think a really nice feature would be if the TV lasted longer than the guarantee. How much extra would a solid design w/ decent components really cost?

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Feature not needed, waste of time. Better is a stable non buggy fast and responding SmartTV platform. Only when that level is reached it would have sense to think about expanding the possibilities !!

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    ??? Who needs this functionality????

Please investigate more time in better Firmware without bugs.
    No more new features needed!!!

Why is this answer not in the poll??

Regards,
    Joerg_L

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 140
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I'm reading this poll with 2 hearts. First as a researcher/innovator and secondly as a user.

The researcher in me loves this kind of discussions and there are many things I could add to the list like the a I Like button, posting on Facebook that you are watching, a messenger that you can use to chat about a program with friends. Like you are watching a game together but not in the same room. Or the possiblility to google about something you are watching...

But the user in me has to agree with Joerg and Peer. The lifecycle of a TV is to short to even consider new things. You already have a hard time to getting a stable functioning firmware for the 2011 models not even to speak of the 2012 models. Why add new functionalty before the other "old" stuff is not even working. You will only gain more and more frustrated users. If you want to deliver an innovativ product you should support older products for a longer time. The company AVM in Germany is a good example, they add new features even to older products that are already longer on the market.

Also to consider is that a televison is still a community tool. I'm not watching the television by myself but wit other members of my family. I would go crazy if my daughther start watching a programm and starts using facebook or sending messenges with her friends.

The researcher in me would concentrate more to use a smartphone as an extension to the television. An smartphone app that has my favorit program list. A plugin for FB that I can use to post on FB what I'm watching. I'm the only one that is using my phone. I can use that to select my favorit programs, set my prefered settings or start my preferred smart tv apps

just my 2 cts. I'm open for more discussiona about innovation but this might not be the right place

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredNew Achievement!500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joerg_L View Post
    ??? Who needs this functionality????

Please investigate more time in better Firmware without bugs.
    No more new features needed!!!

Why is this answer not in the poll??

Regards,
    Joerg_L

You're right, man.

By the way, in my opinion people generally need a good, functional tv-set. And that's all.
    OK, now the fashion is the LED, tomorrow it will be OLED and so on.
    Today the fashion is the Full HD, tomorrow we will find in the stores only 4 or 8 megapixel tv's, however even a DVD-quality picture is more than adequate or enaugh. Now the 3D is fancy also, but it will be fancy in 2020 to?
    Remember, not so long ago even a VHS/SVHS picture on a good CRT was considered revolutionary..., a quality that you can live with it.
    Really, I don't need an internet connection to my tv, what should I do than with my PC or laptop?
    There such more important things to do in your life than sit on the sofa and share your life on the YouTube or Facebook...