Topic: Hdmi arc

• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Hdmi arc

I connected my 50PFL7956H with a 1.4 cable to my receiver (onkyo ht-r548), switched on easylink as well as HDMI arc function on my reciever but it gives no sound. Whenever I use the Net tv function or stream a videofile through my tv, the receiver switches to the correct TV channel, indicates HDMI and PCM signal, but gives no sound. The TV gives the message that there is external amplifier. I tried all different settings through easylink but still no sound. Is there possible a incompatibility between ARC from Philips and ARC Onkyo?

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience Points1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Overdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krisv5 View Post
    I connected my 50PFL7956H with a 1.4 cable to my receiver (onkyo ht-r548), switched on easylink as well as HDMI arc function on my reciever but it gives no sound. Whenever I use the Net tv function or stream a videofile through my tv, the receiver switches to the correct TV channel, indicates HDMI and PCM signal, but gives no sound. The TV gives the message that there is external amplifier. I tried all different settings through easylink but still no sound. Is there possible a incompatibility between ARC from Philips and ARC Onkyo?
    Hi Krisv5.

Welcome to our forums.

Could you please confirm to me what HDMI input on the TV you have connected your recivier?
    What software version do you have on your TV? If you don't have the latest one (14.99), please update to this version via USB.

Best regards,
    Benedickte
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Benedickte,

HDMI 1 (which should have ARC) and software 14.99. The receiver and TV detect eachother, but there's no sound. So I think there's 2 possibilities, first broken cable (new 1.4 cable) second compatibility issue.

Regards,

Kris

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience Points1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Overdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi Benedickte,

HDMI 1 (which should have ARC) and software 14.99. The receiver and TV detect eachother, but there's no sound. So I think there's 2 possibilities, first broken cable (new 1.4 cable) second compatibility issue.

Regards,

Kris

Hi Kris.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? (Even though the one you have is new).
    Just to confirm have you put on easylink on both the TV and Onkyo?

Do you have sound from any source at all? If no, make sure you've put on the right source on your Onkyo.
    If you do get sound from normal TV, could you please give me some more information about what you're watching when you're not getting sound from Net TV and what type of files you watching?

Best regards,
    Benedickte
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Benedickte View Post
    Hi Kris.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? (Even though the one you have is new).
    Just to confirm have you put on easylink on both the TV and Onkyo?

Do you have sound from any source at all? If no, make sure you've put on the right source on your Onkyo.
    If you do get sound from normal TV, could you please give me some more information about what you're watching when you're not getting sound from Net TV and what type of files you watching?

Best regards,
    Benedickte
    I have not yet tried another cable, should buy one first. Easylink is on on both sides, tv and receiver. This is how everything is hooked up: Receiver HDMI out (with ARC) to TV HDMI1 in, Philips BDP7600 to BD/DVD on receiver, PS3 to game on Receiever, settopbox to cabl/stb on receiver. BR, PS3 and settop box all have sound and perfect picture. When I play PC Connect on tv or Nettv I have picture but no sound, allthough the receiver switches to TV mode, detects an PCM signal and TV gives the message external amplifier connected. Is there somewhere any setting I can put audio out on tv to bitstream or ac3 or something like that?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    I have not yet tried another cable, should buy one first. Easylink is on on both sides, tv and receiver. This is how everything is hooked up: Receiver HDMI out (with ARC) to TV HDMI1 in, Philips BDP7600 to BD/DVD on receiver, PS3 to game on Receiever, settopbox to cabl/stb on receiver. BR, PS3 and settop box all have sound and perfect picture. When I play PC Connect on tv or Nettv I have picture but no sound, allthough the receiver switches to TV mode, detects an PCM signal and TV gives the message external amplifier connected. Is there somewhere any setting I can put audio out on tv to bitstream or ac3 or something like that?
    Hi Kris.

Thank you for this information. What you can do is use one of the other HDMI cables (example from blu ray player) to try out if this is any difference.

Could you also try the following please:
    - Set Easylink to Autostart
    - Connect TV with arieal so you can tune in channels with the built in tuner in the TV, check if you get sound through arc
    - Connect a optical from TV to reciver and see if you get sound this way from net TV and built in tuner.

When it comes to your PC, do you know what brand graphic card you have? There are some manufactures that does not support sound through HDMI to Philips TV's (this is the graphic card manufacture limitation and not Philips).The work around this, is to use a seperate audio cable.

Please post back result after these tests.

Best regards,
    Benedickte
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    problem solved, allthough not connected with arc. I connected an optical between receiver and tv, through easylink receiver switches to the right channel and volume is controlled through tv. Works fine this way. Still don't know why ARC isn't working, but not that important.

Thank you for your time and advice!

Regards,

Kris

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    problem solved, allthough not connected with arc. I connected an optical between receiver and tv, through easylink receiver switches to the right channel and volume is controlled through tv. Works fine this way. Still don't know why ARC isn't working, but not that important.

Thank you for your time and advice!

Regards,

Kris
    Hi Kris.

Please see your PM

Benedickte
    Forum Mod