View Poll Results: Should Philips stop making 21:9 TV's?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, Philips should continue producing 21:9 TV's, those TV's are brilliant!

30 88.24%
  • Yes, no loss for me, I'll never buy a 21:9 TV

4 11.76%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Gold Member
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassNew Achievement!5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Willershausen View Post
    I planned buying the 'Cinema Gold' in the not too distant future and was a bit upset by Philips plans. The main question is: Will Philips keep developing new firmware software and enhancements for the 50pfl???

Best regards,

Andreas
    @ Andreas Willershausen: looking back to Philips's update history, I expect there will be new firmware releases but only to solve minor bugs. But don't expect to see any new valuable features like USB recording without the use of internet coming to the 2011 range. For that you'll have to buy a 2012 or later TV.

Anyway I think at this moment Philips managed to fix most annoying bugs for the 2011 range:
    - Random crashes
    - CI+ module no image bug
    - PNM always on bug
    - Local dimming bug (doesn't apply to the Gold model)

So if you're satisfied with the current features of the Philips Cinema Gold, than buying this TV is a good choice. You'll get a good price for a cinematic format TV, that works great for both movies and television broadcasts.

There is still one major bug to be taken into consideration with the 2011 TV line and that is the incompatibility with other Philips's high end sound devices (HTS's and Soundbars) when Easylink is active. If you want to read more about this, then take a look here: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...50PFL7956H-12) Philips says they can reproduce this problem but there's no fix yet.

So expect we might see 1 or 2 more software updates for the 2011 series after all but nothing too fancy.

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I live in the capital of Sweden and I must say that I'm very disappointed the way Philips has marketed the Cinema brand here. It's incredible difficult to find a store that can demonstrate the cinema TV and if you have the luck to find any Cinemas it's then IMPOSSIBLE to find a salesman that can show you the features and answers the questions "everybody" :-) is asking ... How about subtitles? Will it work with an Apple TV? Will it work on demand boxes? How about old recorded stuff on a dvd-recorder with subtitles? If you use the built in digital tuner - Can you watch and record at the same time using a stand-alone recorder like the Panasonic DMR-EH65? Sony KDL-V5500 cannot ... And plenty more questions! One guy didn't even find the remote control! WHEN YOU TRY TO FIND HELP ON THE INTERNET YOU FIND SO MUCH CONFUSION, RUMOURS AND INCORRECTNESS THAT YOUR PLANNED PURCHASE ENDS UP IN NOTHING ... And now the rumour says that Philips will stop making Cinemas. Should I believe it? Is it a trick, just to emty the stock before announceing the new models? (now I may have created a rumour, sorry). I won't buy the 58" just on pure CHANCE, Philips. YOU CAN DO THIS BETTER!

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I have watched hundreds of blu ray films on my 21:9 tv and everyone of them shows immaculately. I bought starwars, lord of the rings and the matrix on blu ray and watching them on my 21:9 tv is the best you can get at home. The ambilight feature makes viewing even better. I bought mine for £1000 and at that price it is the best tv I've ever had. I could not go back to a 16:9 tv the width of a 21:9 56" isn't overpowering in my living room. Please carry on making them !!!

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    21:9 TV is GREAT!

The only have to build a new platform which supports the common Screen resolution 2560x1080p, and not the TV550 platform

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    If they would build a 21:9 TV with nativ usable screen resolution, this would be a reason for me to buy a new one immediately!

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Just bought the PFl9956 here in Norway, and I am blown away from the viewing experience. Absolutely fantastic!! I get the best from both worlds I think.

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Now pricing finally has come down to a more affordable level i finally jumped the gun and bought the 9956. All i can say is that i love it. I understand a 60" 16:9 has more screen real estate, but it's such a big ugly slab on the wall. The cinema series looks great even when switched off.

Pleas Philips, don't stop producing this format and keep on developing the firmware.

Regards,

Leon

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered

Level
    Thanks
    I want a 70 inch 21:9 cinema TV, that would be just over 55 inches with a 16:9 picture for my football and random viewing and a lovely 70 wide inches for my movies.. http://www.comparetvsizes.com/

It will of course require full array local dimming or Oled to optimize the black on the sides so that it truly doesnt distract in standard 16:9 viewing. and if you have that you could extend the Ambilight to the sides of the panel so that that it goes into the 21:9 picture a bit and just leave a simulated small black border on the sides of the 16:9 picture. You could have option, "ambilight fill 16:9 sides" or normal. on/off. The ambilight would not be extended as far to the sides on the wall for normal 16:9 viewing.
    I think that would work good.

And this TV would suit perfectly to be curved as well... 21:9 Tv:s are the only tv:s that are really suited to be curved, to give you a more immersive cinematic experience for the extra wide TV. 16:9 tv:s are not really suited to be curved cos they are too small. and the curve doesnt really do anything cos its not really wide enough if you dont get into very big sizes that would feel too big for normal 16:9 viewing... its a conundrum..

Resolution would of course have to be "5K", 5120 x 2160,like these ones..http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...1407303870.htm
    for glorious UHD viewing and future proof. Android 4k is very welcomed on the screen as well for more 4k viewing than the native netflix and amazon prime (soon to come in Europe I predict) apps. Would have to be above Android 4.3 (or newly released Android TV) for 4k or preferably 4.4 or even android 5. (current Philips 4K Tv:s are Android 4.2.2... ridiculous. (only upscaled 1080p)
    You will need 5 hdmi 2.0 and very unlimited, flexible displayport 1.3, preferably 2.

Its my dream TV.

Its awful that you get the by far smaller image when you watch stuff that should get the most inches.. movies.
    Cinema buffs are the only ones who will be willing to pay for premium TV:s in the future.. for Tv:s in the range of around 30 thousands euros and up market.
    Curved TV:s that isnt 21:9 will have a limited future IMO.

Could come in 70 and 60 (58) inches choices and even 80.. will only be ca. 65 inches in unaltered, un-rescaled 16:9 viewing.

http://www.redsharknews.com/technolo...een-is-instead
    http://www.dvice.com/2014-1-17/opini...ra-wide-screen
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1308...s-name-eyes-on

I believe the 21:9 format TV:s is coming back/making a comeback and Philips needs to be on the field (again) when the (mini) ship sails.
    Last edited by neander; 11-12-2014 at 07:57 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12