• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

32PFL4505D F7 - no sound on Soundbar

I have a 32PFL4505D F7 and recently bought a Samsung HW-E350 soundbar to improve sound quality. The soundbar has AnyLink and says it requires ARC to work. I want to use the Easylink capability to control the sound and the turning on and off. On the TV I have set the speakers to Easylink and turned on the Easylink features . On the sound bar I have turned on Anylink and set the source to ARC. I have a newly purchased cable which specifically says it supports ARC. The cable is connected to HDMI 1 on the TV and HDMI out on the sound bar. Signal source is from my cable, so i have nothing plugged into the HDMI in on the sound bar.

The soundbar display reports "No ARC". The soundbar does appear as a device in the TVs device listing, but I cannot select it (don't know if I should be able to, but it is the only HDMI device connected.) I also don't seem to to able to turn it on this way either.

The soundbar does work. If I connect to the Aux input of the Soundbar from the TV's audio out, it works just fine, but I cannot control it from the TV remote. AND I have to mute the TVs speakers (or tutrn them to "Off".

Does my TV support ARC. The manual refers to audio on HDMI 1 but never specifically refers to ARC.

Any help gratefully received.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience Points1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Overdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ginsbergg View Post
    I have a 32PFL4505D F7 and recently bought a Samsung HW-E350 soundbar to improve sound quality. The soundbar has AnyLink and says it requires ARC to work. I want to use the Easylink capability to control the sound and the turning on and off. On the TV I have set the speakers to Easylink and turned on the Easylink features . On the sound bar I have turned on Anylink and set the source to ARC. I have a newly purchased cable which specifically says it supports ARC. The cable is connected to HDMI 1 on the TV and HDMI out on the sound bar. Signal source is from my cable, so i have nothing plugged into the HDMI in on the sound bar.

The soundbar display reports "No ARC". The soundbar does appear as a device in the TVs device listing, but I cannot select it (don't know if I should be able to, but it is the only HDMI device connected.) I also don't seem to to able to turn it on this way either.

The soundbar does work. If I connect to the Aux input of the Soundbar from the TV's audio out, it works just fine, but I cannot control it from the TV remote. AND I have to mute the TVs speakers (or tutrn them to "Off".

Does my TV support ARC. The manual refers to audio on HDMI 1 but never specifically refers to ARC.

Any help gratefully received.
    Hi Ginsbergg.

Welcome to the forums.

I can inform you that your model do not support ARC, so this is the reason why you are not getting any sound out through HDMI,
    The audio outputs you got on your TV is:
    • Digital: Coaxial (cinch)
    • Analog: Audio Left/Right out (whit/red).

Best regards,
    Benedickte
    Forum Mod

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks for responding so speedily. I understand that I have those outputs and am presently using the analog outputs to the AUX input of the Soundbar. If the unit does not support ARC, then what is the audio refered to in the specifications section of the manual - Audio L/R integrated with HDMI 1. Also what audio is being controlled by the Easylink in the sound set up. If Easylink is supposed to CEC Compliant shouldn't this be ARC? The Sound set up says for the setting "Speakers Easylink" "You can control audio output from your connected HDMI link devices using this units remote control" (emphasis added).

So everything I read says that there is audio out of the HDMI.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience Points1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Overdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanks for responding so speedily. I understand that I have those outputs and am presently using the analog outputs to the AUX input of the Soundbar. If the unit does not support ARC, then what is the audio refered to in the specifications section of the manual - Audio L/R integrated with HDMI 1. Also what audio is being controlled by the Easylink in the sound set up. If Easylink is supposed to CEC Compliant shouldn't this be ARC? The Sound set up says for the setting "Speakers Easylink" "You can control audio output from your connected HDMI link devices using this units remote control" (emphasis added).

So everything I read says that there is audio out of the HDMI.
    Hi Ginsbergg.

CEC stands for Consumer Electronics Control, while ARC stands for Audio Return Channel.
    CEC means you can controll the volume/audio if the other device connected with HDMI is CEC/easylink compatible and you have turned on this option on both devices.

When it comes to the information in the leaflet stating "HDMI 1: Analog audio L/R in, HDMI" this is refered if you're connected TV to PC with a DVI-HDMI cable. So you will need an aditional audio in cable to get sound, due to DVI only carry picture.

Best regards,
    Benedickte
    Forum Mod

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Sorry Benedickte but I am still confused. According to my manual, the PC would be used as source of both video and audio. with only a DVI capability video goes to HDMI with a DVI/HDMI cable, while audio goes to audio in. If the PC had HDMI then only an HDMI cable is needed as that carries audio from the source to the TV and that can go to any of the HDMI inputs.

So I still do not see how audio is meant to go out of the HDMI 1 which is an HDMI In, unless it uses something like ARC. I appreciate the difference between CEC and ARC, both are really HDMI features, but has Philips implemented their own "ARC equivalent" that is not HDMI compatible.

Once again thanks for you help in trying to sort this out and help me understand.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Sorry Benedickte but I am still confused. According to my manual, the PC would be used as source of both video and audio. with only a DVI capability video goes to HDMI with a DVI/HDMI cable, while audio goes to audio in. If the PC had HDMI then only an HDMI cable is needed as that carries audio from the source to the TV and that can go to any of the HDMI inputs.

So I still do not see how audio is meant to go out of the HDMI 1 which is an HDMI In, unless it uses something like ARC. I appreciate the difference between CEC and ARC, both are really HDMI features, but has Philips implemented their own "ARC equivalent" that is not HDMI compatible.

Once again thanks for you help in trying to sort this out and help me understand.
    Hi ginsbergg.

I can understand your confusion. As this forum mainly supports european models I would advise you to contact the local customer service.

For you to get sound back to your soundbar from the TV you need an aditional cable as your TV is not ARC compatable.
    All the HDMI connections on your TV is inputs.

I refered the DVI-HDMI as an example. Of course you can connect your PC/laptop with HDMI.

Best regards,
    Benedickte
    Forum Mod

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Time to give up on this issue. Not at all a satisfying experience. The best I could get was that Easylink does not support ARC so tough luck. I have tried this forum, customer support by telephone and customer support on-line in a chat session and basically got the same answer.

So why is it disappointing?

Several fronts. First the TV is fairly new, built well after HDMI 1.4 came into effect, which introduced ARC. Until then there was no method of getting sound back from a TV. Philips must have created its own proprietary way of doing it over Easylink and continued even after ARC, but they continued to advertise as HDMI Compliant. the documentation/manual says all you need to get sound out of speakers is an HDMI compliant sound system, no constraints stated.

OK it does elsewhere talk about Easylink compliant speakers, yet in Canada there aren't any. Philips only seems to make one Soundbar with Easylink and if it is available in Canada, nobody at Philips can tell me where. The phone help told me to go to the on-line store. Oops the on-line store does not show any soundbars. The Chat support told me they know nothing about sales. The only place I can find the soundbar is either used or refurbished through Amazon.com and who knows if they will ship to Canada. I will look further.

At all levels of support nobody can tell me how Easylink has implemented its version of ARC, so I could consider either modifying something. Phone support even told me to use the audio in on the TV (probably showed that on a diagram for something else). I asked if the information on Easylink was available on-line, but other than "try google" that was a waste of time asking.

So here we have a televison sold with a certain feature, that nobody can tell me how it works and does not work with any other devices on the market.

I had been very impressed with Philips products and especially Philips customer service until now, but this is a let down.

Not the fault of the people involved, but they really should be given better tools. Technical support should consist of more that just looking up in the manual.