• Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Exclamation Issues with my new HTL3140B.

Hi,

I recently bought both a new TV, a 47PFT6309, and a HTL3140B to match.
    Figuring that they would work fine together, and they mostly do.

On the positive side the soundbars sounds great! Better than I expected.
    And I'm very satisfied with the TV, the image quality is great and I must confess that the ambilight is quite nice.

But I have some issues with the HTL3140B and looking through this forum I'm not alone.

The number one issue I have is the audio decoding delay there is in the HTL3140B when the HDMI input is used.
    This makes the sound a few ms delayed compared with the image, and the only compensation there is (on both the TV and the Soundbar!) is to delay the sound even more!

This is easier to spot when looking on a live concert, all the musicians feel like they are off beat all the time since the sound and image is not in sync. I have a workaround for now: I connected a cable from the headphone out of the TV to the AUX input on the soundbar, and when I select the AUX input no sync mismatch is noticed.
    That proves that the D/A conversion in the TV is much faster than in the Soundbar.
    I would love to see this fixed since the sound quality is better via HDMI than my workaround and I don't have to reach for the remote every time to switch inputs. (or get the TV-developers to let us delay the image compared to the audio stream!)

A equally irritating problem is that it seems impossible to switch of the automatic standby mode?!
    I'm using the TV and the Soundbar as part of my home media system, I stream both movies and music though this and what happens is that if I pause a song (or a moive) for more than 15 min. the Soundbar shuts down.
    So when I start playing again I now have the thin sound from the TV and I have to find the remote or go up to the soundbar to switch it on...
    This auto shutdown is configurable on the TV but not on the soundbar?!

I also ran into the compatibility issues with the Bluetooth connection to the sub and the WIFI 2.4GHz, but I guess that is not easy to fix. I solved it by turning of the 2.4GHz band in my router.

I also a notice a fairy aggressive compression/limiter on the HDMI/AUX input. (I haven't tried the others...)
    Noticeable when I play music through the system and a song plays with a quiet intro and then when the rest of the instruments come in, the sound 'drops' quite apparently and not very musically.
    This might be a good feature for 'auto-adjusting' Movie audio but it does impact the musical quality in a bad way, creating what in audio terms is called 'pumping'.
    I would be great to be able to turn it of, at least for the digital inputs since they should not go above 0db anyway.
    I can see the need for a limiter but not this type of compression for a device that should be used as part of a music system.

Sincerely,
    Janne

Administrator
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive5000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Hello Janne!
    Welcome to the Philips Support Forum and thank you for all your questions and comments, you have some very interesting points especially the last one about the auto adjusting. I am very pleased to hear that you are satisfied with your two new purchases and happy to see that you found a solution with the WiFi. The standby is not something that can be switched off as it has been designed that way to save power and there are no plans on removing it from the features. So going into the issues you described, are both your devices up to date? You have quite an interesting workaround to the syncing issue but does AUDIO SYNC -/+ on the remote help at all?
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Many regards,
    Philips - Katerina

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Katerina View Post
    Hello Janne!
    Hi Katerina!

Welcome to the Philips Support Forum and thank you for all your questions and comments, you have some very interesting points especially the last one about the auto adjusting. I am very pleased to hear that you are satisfied with your two new purchases and happy to see that you found a solution with the WiFi. The standby is not something that can be switched off as it has been designed that way to save power and there are no plans on removing it from the features.
    I'm not buying that argument really. This is a unit that is designed to be used primarily together with a TV-set, so please tell me witch TV-set Philip has that have an auto-standby fixed on 15 min? My set had a default set to 30min and it were totally changeable...
    And the soundbar will consume much less energy than a TV anyway.

So going into the issues you described, are both your devices up to date? You have quite an interesting workaround to the syncing issue but does AUDIO SYNC -/+ on the remote help at all?
    No, since the Audio Sync on the soundbar can only ADD delay to the already delayed signal it would only make it worse.
    If the TV-set had the possibility to add a negative offset to the audio sync, ie. delaying the image rendering instead of only delaying the sound it could fix it.
    But being a developer myself I would first look into optimising the D/A first. Since the TV does the same process to output sound to the headphone output without any latency, the soundbar should be able to do the same. (unless the TV has some problem with the sound output over HDMI...)

I recently got a update to the TV, and the Soundbar has the latest software revision.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Many regards,
    Philips - Katerina
    Thanks for responding!
    I really hope that Your development team can do something about this, since it is basically a great product that is held down some annoying problems.

Regards,
    Janne

Administrator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Hello Janne!
    I would really like to have a closer look on the syncing that you described, so could you please send me a private message (click on my name and pick private message) including:
    Model number
    Serial number
    Software Version
    Country of residence
    Devices that are connected
    How they are connected
    What you have used to connect them
    Full description of the issue
    As for the auto standby, there is not much that I can do. Some people don’t mid it at all, I have had long conversations about this with the developers and they have explained that there are no plans on removing this feature.
    Many regards,
    Philips - Katerina

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hello Janne!
    I would really like to have a closer look on the syncing that you described, so could you please send me a private message (click on my name and pick private message) including:
    Model number
    Serial number
    Software Version
    Country of residence
    Devices that are connected
    How they are connected
    What you have used to connect them
    Full description of the issue
    As for the auto standby, there is not much that I can do. Some people donít mid it at all, I have had long conversations about this with the developers and they have explained that there are no plans on removing this feature.
    Many regards,
    Philips - Katerina
    Has this issue been progressed at all? - I'm experiencing the same thing with a brand new 55PUT6400 & HTL3140B, both with the latest firmware versions.

It's very frustrating.
    Last edited by anthemtwins; 12-07-2015 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Typo

Administrator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Hello anthemtwins!
    Thank you for joining us here on this thread.
    Could you do as I have asked the others to do? Send me a private message with the same info, I really need it because if no one sends info then there is nothing that I can look into.
    Many regards,
    Philips - Katerina

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Katerina,

Sorry for my absence, but You have a PM now with all the details!

My preferred solution for these problems would be:
    ē Fix the Audio decoding delay, it shouldn't been there from the start.
    ē Let us turn of the auto shutoff feature. Just some magic keypresses would do.
    ē Either make the limiter setting so transparent that it doesn't affect the audio dynamics (negatively) at all.
    ... or if it's made like this on purpose to 'enhance' speech vs. loud movie sound effects. Then let us at least choose if we want it or not.

Regards,
    Janne