• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Simple speaker options for 40PFL3706/F7 Philips TV

Here's my problem: as a gift last year, I got a 40PFL3706/F7 Philips tv for my living room. Now, I've known all along that the built-in rear facing speakers in any flatscreen TV tend to not be that great, and I was having trouble hearing dialogue at times when the audio is essentially echoing off of my living room back wall. I don't watch a lot of TV, so I'm not interested in surround sound or an expensive speaker set-up, so I bought powered speakers that are small, elegant, and cost around $50.

I went to hook the speakers up...only to find out that the TV doesn't have a 3.5 jack for audio out, or RCA, either. Just digital audio, which I was totally unfamiliar with. So I called Philips customer support to ask exactly what I need to get these speakers working with my TV. I'm told I need to get a digital coaxial to analogue converter and a digital audio coaxial cable. I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optica.../ref=pd_cp_e_3

I hooked everything up, and all I got was static from the speakers. I read the manual, I played with the settings...nothing but static. Thinking maybe something was wrong with the converter or cable, I hooked everything up to my el cheapo tv in my office which has digital audio (as well as various analogue options) and it worked fine. As another test, I hooked up my high quality computer speakers using the converter to both tvs. On the Philips, once again, nothing but static.

So I called Philips support again. Then I'm told that I don't need a digital coaxial to analogue converter, I need an amplifier. I tried to search online for "amplifier digital coaxial" and variations, and I got links for either digital audio to coaxial converters (which I already tried to use but didn't work), or for products and tutorials for things I can't even begin to understand.

What exactly do I need to do to get basic external speakers working on my TV for around $50? Can someone tell me of a specific product that will work? Is there anything that is just plug and play?

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience Points1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Overdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCat View Post
    Here's my problem: as a gift last year, I got a 40PFL3706/F7 Philips tv for my living room. Now, I've known all along that the built-in rear facing speakers in any flatscreen TV tend to not be that great, and I was having trouble hearing dialogue at times when the audio is essentially echoing off of my living room back wall. I don't watch a lot of TV, so I'm not interested in surround sound or an expensive speaker set-up, so I bought powered speakers that are small, elegant, and cost around $50.

I went to hook the speakers up...only to find out that the TV doesn't have a 3.5 jack for audio out, or RCA, either. Just digital audio, which I was totally unfamiliar with. So I called Philips customer support to ask exactly what I need to get these speakers working with my TV. I'm told I need to get a digital coaxial to analogue converter and a digital audio coaxial cable. I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optica.../ref=pd_cp_e_3

I hooked everything up, and all I got was static from the speakers. I read the manual, I played with the settings...nothing but static. Thinking maybe something was wrong with the converter or cable, I hooked everything up to my el cheapo tv in my office which has digital audio (as well as various analogue options) and it worked fine. As another test, I hooked up my high quality computer speakers using the converter to both tvs. On the Philips, once again, nothing but static.

So I called Philips support again. Then I'm told that I don't need a digital coaxial to analogue converter, I need an amplifier. I tried to search online for "amplifier digital coaxial" and variations, and I got links for either digital audio to coaxial converters (which I already tried to use but didn't work), or for products and tutorials for things I can't even begin to understand.

What exactly do I need to do to get basic external speakers working on my TV for around $50? Can someone tell me of a specific product that will work? Is there anything that is just plug and play?

Hi MacCat.

Some of these converters do not support Dolby Digital audio signal. If your source is using Dolby Digital then the adapter may not work with this TV. In order for the adapter to work the TV needs to be able to change the audio output to PCM or Bitstream. This TV does not have that option. So in order to connect this TV to your sound system you will need to have a Digital Audio input on the sound system or connect the audio directly from your source and not the TV. I hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Benedickte
    Forum Mod