• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Configuring WAS700

Is there any way to configure a WAS700 to join my network (infrastructure) so I can use say, TVersity, if I don't have a WACS700?

Gold Member
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Hi !

Yes, there is a way: A user (called "Rafa") in the old Streamium Café created a WAC700 emulator that could be executed in a PC with WiFi connection and it makes it possible to configure a WAS700 to connect to a WLAN.
    Unfortunately Rafa is not with us any more and all the instructions/knowledge disappeared with the shutdown of the Streamium Café.

But I do have the software, I just don't remember the exact URL right now. Will send it here when I find it when I'm back home later. Plus what I remember of how to set it up.

Cheers !

Gold Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Right, here's what I've got and what I remember of configuration a WAS700 without the WAC700 :

1. Download the WAC700 Emulator (made by Rafa) from here.
    2. Unzip the four files to your harddisk.
    3. Power up the WAS700.
    4. Make a Factory Reset of the WAS700. <-- Important, do not skip this !
    5. When it has rebooted, it should automatically start to look for a Center. If not, enter Installation Mode using the Menu on the WAS700.
    6. On your PC (that must have a WiFi NIC), right-click the WiFi symbol in the System Tray and select View Wireless networks (might be different in different Windows versions).
    7. Look up and connect to the "WASC-Install" (or similar) ad-hoc network.
    8. When asked for a WEP key, I think you have to enter Philips123ABC or perhaps it's PhilipsABC123, I am not 100% sure. (If somebody here in the forum remember this better than me, please send the correct WEP-key )
    9. Now wait until your PC is connected to the ad-hoc, it should take just a few seconds.
    10. Start the wac700.exe that was unpacked from the zip file in step 2 above.
    11. Now you must manually enter all info about your WLAN. Note: It will not work with WPA2.
    12. Then click the Start button to make the emulator look for the WAS700 and configure it.
    13. The WAS700 shall automatically leave Installation mode and start up with the WLAN settings you have provided.
    14. End of job.

Well, that's all. It has all been written down from memory so there might be some details or even step(s) that I have forgotten.
    Please don't hesitate to ask me for help if needed.
    And please also note that I take absolutely no credits for Rafa's work on this emulator. I was just providing him with help and beta-testing several years ago (back in 2005 !) when he decided to make this tool for us.

Cheers !

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Tias,

Awesome information, thanks so much! The WEP key PhilipsABC123 worked. Unfortunately I get Datagram opcode error... showing up after hitting start using my desktop. I'm going to try with my laptop and will post the results.

Many thanks.

Gold Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hm, sound like a good idea to try with another machine (with another NIC and driver).

Cheers !

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi, I have two WAS700 here which I would like to connect to my home wireless broadband. I have tried following the above instructions and have got as far as Step 11 where I got stuck! I have the WACS700 Station Station Setup Tool open but I don't know what to insert in the various boxes.

SSID: Is that the name of my wireless network connection?
    Channel: This is set to 11 - I have no idea is this is right or not
    WLAN Mode - there are two options - Infrastructure or Adhoc - again I have no idea
    IP Set up - DHCP or Manual setup - again, I have no idea
    WLAN Security - I have ticked WPA
    and at the bottom where is says WPA I have entered my wireless network password.
    When I press start another box opens up and tries to connect to my station but then I get a Datagram Opcod error. Can anyone help me bearing in mind I am pretty clueless!

Silver Member
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Thanks
    I don't have this device myself, but perhaps I can help with your general questions regarding WLAN setup:

- yes, the SSID is the name of your WLAN. You can usually set it up in the configuration of your WLAN access point (AP), and the default is usually something like the name of the brand of your AP
    - Usually, the selected channel does not make any difference, unless you are very close to other APs that use the same channel. Most equipment offers some sort of 'Auto' setting, where the AP and your device automatically negotiate a suitable channel. This might help in cases where the channel you chose gets too much interference from your neighbors
    - DHCP means that your device automatically gets an IP address from your AP - unless you changed the defaults on your IP, this is the way to go
    - WPA is OK in most cases - 'No security' is not a good idea, unless you do it just for a short time to debug connection problems. If your problem goes away when you switch from some form of encrypted connection to no encryption, then the problem is in your security setup (wrong password, crypto schemes not supported equally on both ends, ...). If your crypto setup is OK, WPA2 is better than WPA, which in turn is better than WEP

Gold Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi !

• SSID = name of your WiFi network
    • Channel = Must match the WiFi channel you have setup in your Router. If your router has "Auto" as channel number, well then you must set it to a fixed channel because the WAS700's does not work in Auto-Channel mode.
    • WLAN Mode = Most probably Infrastructure (Ad-Hoc = WAS connects to only one other device).
    • IP Setup = Select DHCP
    • WPA = Seems like you got that one right.

HTH.
    Cheers !
    /T

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks Chrisham and Tias for your replies.

When I try to connect to the Philips network it seems to have a problem acquiring the network address.Any ideas?