Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks

Lightbulb Undefined behaviour of the TV when connecting to DLNA: some tips....

Some people on the forum report that their TV shows strange behaviour when connected to a DLNA server, like rebooting, can't get connected, does not see the server, etc..
    One of our posters (tnx "weijte000" ) experienced similar issues with his setup, but was able to solve it in the following way:
    1. Remove all attached devices and run the network for a day, see if the problem persists. If not, it's one of the connected peripherials.
    2. Do a factory reset on (at least) the router. Disconnect all connected network devices like NAS devices. Test networking with direct connection to the router and internet and no other devices attached. Then start adding the other devices again one by one and test after each device.

Some additional tips:
    3. Take care that ALL network connected devices run the latest software version.
    4. Do not select only the 802.11n wireless standard in the router setup. The (older) TV's cannot handle this. Always choose 802.11b/g/n (multi standard).

Hope this will help in some cases.
    Regards,
    JuAn
    Last edited by Philips; 10-10-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips View Post
    Some people on the forum report that their TV shows strange behaviour when connected to a DLNA server, like rebooting, can't get connected, does not see the server, etc..
    One of our posters (tnx "weijte000" ) experienced similar issues with his setup, but was able to solve it in the following way:
    1. Remove all attached devices and run the network for a day, see if the problem persists. If not, it's one of the connected peripherials.
    2. Do a factory reset on (at least) the router. Disconnect all connected network devices like NAS devices. Test networking with direct connection to the router and internet and no other devices attached. Then start adding the other devices again one by one and test after each device.

Some additional tips:
    3. Take care that ALL network connected devices run the latest software version.
    4. Do not select only the 802.11n wireless standard in the router setup. The (older) TV's cannot handle this. Always choose 802.11b/g/n (multi standard).

Hope this will help in some cases.
    Regards,
    JuAn

I have linux debian server - router, installed mediatomb and minidlna. DLNA function work correctly on PC, iPad, iPhone. Connection is wifi and wired.

Why DLNA not working correct on TV 47pfl4307H fw 0.90, 0.91, 0.92 ????.
    DLNA disintegration connection after a few minutes (approximately 30 min.)

Tv is connected wired RJ45, no wifi.

Please excuse my english.

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,018
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

I also read that some people could solve the "disconnection from DLNA server after some minutes". They just put another switch between the internet router and the TV.

Toengel@Alex

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    DLNA play is also disabled if applies to around 30 minutes after turning on the TV. TV write then you have to turn on PC and media server.
    I think that it may somehow be related to power management, network card in TV. Will help then switching from dhcp to static and vice versa. But this is not a solution to the problem because then again after about 30 minutes of not working.

Same problem is media renderer in TV.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by japao View Post
    DLNA play is also disabled if applies to around 30 minutes after turning on the TV. TV write then you have to turn on PC and media server.
    I think that it may somehow be related to power management, network card in TV. Will help then switching from dhcp to static and vice versa. But this is not a solution to the problem because then again after about 30 minutes of not working.

Same problem is media renderer in TV.
    problem is also fw 0.93

after 30 minutes tv shows this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0394.JPG 
Views:	2074 
Size:	639.7 KB 
ID:	1502

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Although Philips does not seems to be willing to admit problems, it becomes clear there is an error in their DLNA support implementation and its bundling to other network services. It s nice example how end user experience and brand perception can be destroyed by bugs and bad firmware. I decided to not buy any Philips TV anymore due to this experience.

For those having problems with 20-30 minutes play time thru DLNA there are workarounds for few often used servers. see: YUT's post from 30.9.2012 http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...t=tv+lost+dlna , i can confirm functionality with minidlna and 47PFL7606.

Philips does not seems to refresh its server list once SSDP expires, set max-age to long time enough and you should be ok.
    Keep pushing Philips, problem is neither in your network nor on attached equipment, it is Philips TV who has problem.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tomulli For This Useful Post:

Cristian (11-13-2013)

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomulli View Post
    Although Philips does not seems to be willing to admit problems, it becomes clear there is an error in their DLNA support implementation and its bundling to other network services. It s nice example how end user experience and brand perception can be destroyed by bugs and bad firmware. I decided to not buy any Philips TV anymore due to this experience.

For those having problems with 20-30 minutes play time thru DLNA there are workarounds for few often used servers. see: YUT's post from 30.9.2012 http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...t=tv+lost+dlna , i can confirm functionality with minidlna and 47PFL7606.

Philips does not seems to refresh its server list once SSDP expires, set max-age to long time enough and you should be ok.
    Keep pushing Philips, problem is neither in your network nor on attached equipment, it is Philips TV who has problem.
    DLNA disconnected Problem solved by setting the parameter mediatomb alive.

Why the customer must solve the error on the media server when the problem is in the TV firmware?
    When will this bug was fixed in firmware TV?

Device such as Playstation 3 or iPhone iPad programs can solve this without modifying the media server.

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    My 32" smart tv says there are no playable files in my folders on my pc when I browse pc, but if I put the files on a usb drive they play fine. What could cuse this problem?

Silver Member
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by japao View Post
    ...Why the customer must solve the error on the media server when the problem is in the TV firmware? When will this bug was fixed in firmware TV?...
    And I think Philips already has the solution for this problem in older firmware versions!
    I own a 32PFL7605C12 from november 2010
    I had NO REBOOT problems at all until november 2011 when FW 140.39 or 140.40 was introduced
    And I have been using the DLNA function from the beginning to watch pictures and videos from my Network HDD.

From November 2011 until now I had the same setup.
    The problem occurs even WITH ONLY THE TV connected to the Network, so the problem is not in other devices like laptops, iPods or whatever device.

Niels

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Before You put in the same effort I did, read this

I have same problem on both my Philips TV sets a 40PFL9606 and a 32PFL7605. Both are connected via DLink DIR-855 router to a Synology DS1511+ NAS. When streaming movies the playback stops after appr. 30 minutes due to disconnection of the TV sets to the server

No loss of connection on any other device.
    It is just the TV sets that loose connection. I stream music and movies to many other devices (Android Tablet, Windows Smartphone, Windows PC) without any problem.

Try Media Renderer
    Go to Configuration / Network Settings / Media Renderer and turn it on. I don’t know why but it sometimes works. Still don’t understand why I need to turn it on while it is allready turned on. It seems like the TV looses the setting????

Philips Support not SMART
    I spend many hours to figure out the problem. I was very well supported by DLink and especialy by Synology who supported me even up to R&D level.

Unlike Philips support who did not try at all to understand the problem and put any effort at all in solving this problem. I find that as long as you want to watch TV, they can help you out. They are not smart enough to support their SMART TV's. They even got rude and hooked up the Phone.

It is NOT your router..
    That causes the problem. Philips support wants to let you believe that your router causes the disconnection and refer to the manufacturer of the router.

I am lucky to work for a IT distributor and was able to try out several routers from different manufacturers without the need to buy one. Another router doesn’t make a difference. Wired or wireless doesn’t make a difference either.

I asked Philips support to provide me specifications a router should meet. They can’t. They also can not provide settings of the router nor a supported router list.

I still wonder how they can conclude that the router causes the problem. Looking a the posts on several forums, people work with all kind of routers and storage devices.

Visit forums
    I have visited many forums. You will not find any topic on this problem from TV’owners of Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba. Visit for example the Synology forum and you will only find posts from owners of Philips and LG TV’s. No wonder since Philips TV’s are manufactured by LG.

My workaround
    I found that the problem occurs when using the TV’s GUI. I now use the MyNet app on my on Android tablet to select and play movies and project to my TV. So far this works perfectly. The Philips MyRemote app should work the same way but it doesn’t.

The Philips TV sucks
    All support departments I had contacted came to the same conclusion: The Philips TV causes the disconnection.

This is why I am for sure that it is the Philips TV
    One of my collegues has the exactly same configuration as I do. He also uses a Dlink DIR-855 router, the same Synology DS1511+, a Philips SMART TV and...... a Samsung TV. Gues what…… he has the same problem with his Philips TV. His Samsung TV however works perfectly.

Don't update the firmware, It will get worse
    I am pretty shure that at the start also video streaming worked well. The problems occured after installing a firmware update.
    Unfortunenately is not possible to downgrade and try.

Streaming Music worked fine until today. After installing the latest firmware version to my 40PFL9606 I can no longer play my Music files either. What a SMART TV.

DLNA certified ????
    I do not understand how Philips managed to get their TV sets DLNA certified. They simply don't work with other DLNA certified products. My NAS is DLNA certified and so where most of the routers I tested.

Go get your money back
    The TV does not do what it should do. In legal terms is it “Non conform”. You can return your TV to the store and demand your money back on grounds of this non conformity.

If in future you want a TV set that works without putting in a lot of effort and get decent support. ...........

DON’T BUY A PHILIPS TV.
    Last edited by Bill Jonair; 12-08-2012 at 07:13 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Jonair For This Useful Post:

Cristian (12-12-2013),mesutismail (01-13-2014)

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

DLNA does not work here as well

3 weeks ago I bought 47PFL6687K and face the same problems. TV can see (sometimes) the mediaservers (latest versions) on my PC and notebook (both WinXP), but never the shared content. From USB it works just fine.

Moreover the wifi smart screen and Simply Share streaming work from time to time. They lose the connection as well. The whole internet functions incl. Smart TV and menus is crap. No cursor in the browser, the first and last items in the menu are not connected. Hey, it's 2012!

I'm quite shocked the Philips moderator did not bring any advice in this discussion for about 2 months!

I spoke to Philips support in CZ twice and sent a few mails, no solution yet. I spent hours or even days on solving all the issues (incl. duplicite channels coming to my favourites again and again).

I'm going to write a story about this for my friend, UK journalist, how the Philips Customer Care looks like, and intend to return TV within the one month period and buy Samsung instead.

Or is there anybody of Philips who could help us?

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    After reading this, I realized that I'm a victim too. Was going crazy trying to figure out what the problem is.
    I own a 32pfl5507/h12 and my DLNA stopped working during playback. After this it seems that the Wifi on the TV cannot connect to my router. It sees my network and surrounding networks. It's even able to connect, but it doesnt get an IP adress. I tried setting the IP manually, but still no network connectivity. I even tried installling the latest firmware and do a factory reset on the tv and my router. all my other devices work fine

C'mon philips fix this problem get the Tv's software right

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I have the same problem. Drop-out after 20minutes or so - the server just suddenly disappears.

Funny though - the server is still visible on my other devices, and can output as normal.

So I think it's very safe to assume that the problem is with the TV.

This said, Philips has a responsibility to remedy the issue in their next firmware update, no?

The same way that other TV manufacturers like Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp, etc. etc. seem to have done (there is a notable lack of mention of this problem on their forums).

Or does Philips think that it is ok to advertise built-in DLNA on their tv's despite knowing that it doesn't work properly?

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Achievements:
    100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!31 days registered

Level
    Thanks
    I've experienced this problem many, many times, thinking it was a problem with my NAS (media server). I've solved it simply using a second adsl router with adsl connection disabled, between my original router and my 40PFL7605H.

It's a 7 years old adsl router I wasn't using. I now it's an other device, another plug, more connections, and many more little lights flashing all the time, but I'll live with that.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jorgefhq For This Useful Post:

Richard Suijkerbuijk (02-19-2013)

Silver Member
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgefhq View Post
    I've experienced this problem many, many times, thinking it was a problem with my NAS (media server). I've solved it simply using a second adsl router with adsl connection disabled, between my original router and my 40PFL7605H.

It's a 7 years old adsl router I wasn't using. I now it's an other device, another plug, more connections, and many more little lights flashing all the time, but I'll live with that.
    Jorge,

Can you give more details (here or by direct message) about this setup?
    My TV is now connected to my Netgear WIN3700N router, but I still have an unused linksys WRT54g router.
    Can I create a similar solution as you did?
    It will reduce network speed from 65 Mbps to 54 Mpbs
    And are you using different network names for the network where the TV is connected to?

Niels

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Niels For This Useful Post:

Richard Suijkerbuijk (02-19-2013)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast