Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgefhq View Post
    I've experienced this problem many, many times, thinking it was a problem with my NAS (media server). I've solved it simply using a second adsl router with adsl connection disabled, between my original router and my 40PFL7605H.

It's a 7 years old adsl router I wasn't using. I now it's an other device, another plug, more connections, and many more little lights flashing all the time, but I'll live with that.
    Seems incredible that the solution to Philips DLNA fault has to be that customers must add extra hardware equipment in order to make it work.

If this is the case, then perhaps the easiest solution is for people to go out and buy themselves an Apple TV device to hook up to the TV as a wifi receiver/media player... I noted last night that my XBOX's media player worked perfectly to stream media to the TV, so that's another solution.

I still don't think its acceptable that Philips sells "DLNA enabled" TV's that are clearly incapable of delivering what they are advertised to do.

Worse yet, that Philips just ignores the problem. They clearly don't give two hoots about their customers.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!31 days registered

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Niels View Post
    Jorge,

Can you give more details (here or by direct message) about this setup?
    My TV is now connected to my Netgear WIN3700N router, but I still have an unused linksys WRT54g router.
    Can I create a similar solution as you did?
    It will reduce network speed from 65 Mbps to 54 Mpbs
    And are you using different network names for the network where the TV is connected to?

Niels
    Lets see if I can help you.

I am using an "old" Amper router with both ADSL services and DHCP disabled, directly connected (wired) to my actual ADSL router. In this way I think I'm using only one set of network names. (I'm not an expert at all ). Actually I used an App for IOS called Fing, to help me map my connections, and I only see one network and all the IP's as they were before. I only have a new IP address for my "intermediate" router. Of curse since it also had WiFi capabilities, I turned it off.

My WiFi speed is 54 Mbps, but it does not affect mu second TV, and I can play any video with no problem.

I just configured the old router to set it as I have explained (WiFi OFF, DHCP OFF, new IP for Second Router: 192.168.1.40 and ADSL services OFF), and tried with movies of all kinds, with no problem at all. Simply it does not disconnect.

Maybe you remember that I posted before because I wasn't able to play avi files in one of my two Philips TV. This problem we are talking about now, showed up once I found out how to play every supported file type in my 40PFL7605H. I did this simply changing what the internal twonky server in my NAS recognized as a Philips Renderer TV, to a Kenwood Media Player. Once I could play movies I found out that the server would disconnect every 30 min.

I tried with the second router because I read it here:

Quote Originally Posted by Toengel View Post
    Hi,

I also read that some people could solve the "disconnection from DLNA server after some minutes". They just put another switch between the internet router and the TV.

Toengel@Alex
    So thanks to Toengel, again.

Please let me know if I could help you, and of course if you need any detail I can give to you.

Regards.

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi everybody,
    After reading the different posts, from one side I'm happy that it is not something I'm doing wrong on my set, from the other I'm quite disappointed that an issue on one basic function of a SMART TV is still far to be solved.

Here is my contribute to the cause, I have one Netgear ADSL modem/router with Wi-Fi capabilities, this access point is regularly used by the personal computer running Serviio as media server, one i-phone, one i-pad, one network printer, one Wii, one sony bravia and one philips 37PFL9606.
    All the devices are working properly and accessing the network and the internet.
    The difference is the DLNA between the sony and the philips, while the sony is always accessing the server and reading the contents, the philips has all the effects already mentioned on the previous posts, sometimes it sees the server, sometimes not, sometimes it reboot by itself if I try to access the media.
    Initially I was thinking on a wrong server setting but then I noticed that the reaction of the TV seems to become slower while time is passing, if I switch it off (removing power) than on, it seems to work fine for a while, then it become in some way "tired" it starts to react slowly to the media menu, then it starts to be unable to read the contents then it stops definitely to work and sometimes, at this stage, it reboot.
    In parallel, the bravia continues to work; restating (removing power) sometimes work but it can be required to restart the router (only to renew the IP because the DNS tends to keep it locked).

I frankly hope on a solution from Philips because I like the image quality and I don't want to regret to don't have two bravia.....

Massimo

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    A possible solution:

I haven't tested this long enough, so I don't know how stable this might be in the long run, but I've now had a couple of hours of problem-free streaming:

Go into your router and assign a fixed IP address to your TV (using the TV's MAC address).

Got my fingers crossed that this will keep holding up! But like I said, I've now had a couple of hours of streaming without the typical drop out...

Anyone else tried this?

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I experienced disconnect problems between TV (32PFL7605H/12) and DLNA media server after changing to a different router. Problem was solved after changing the DHCP lease time on the router from 60 minutes to 1440 minutes.
    See this topic.

EDIT: Unfortunately it appears that increasing the DHCP lease time on the router does not solve the disconnect problem.
    Last edited by CJS; 01-13-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hello friends,

In my opinion, the problem of disconnection and other problems of the Philips TV via DLNA, depends on the quality of connection of our network, our Router and our multimedia files.

Firstly, it seems clear that the Philips TV is unstable via DLNA. It seems to require that the "speed" of our network must be very stable and constant. When there is a small bug in the "speed" of our network synchronization, the Philips TV easily loses control and failure.
    The Philips TV is not very stable via DLNA, does not tolerate well the minor bugs in the "speed" of our network synchronization.

What can we do to make our TV Philips fails the least possible via DLNA? Improve the quality of our network everything possible. This does not guarantee that there are no failures, but minimized. My experience, and from what I read in this forum, is that if somehow we improve the quality of our network connection, our Philips TV works relatively well via DLNA.

To be more specific, it would impact on three aspects:
    1. Do not use wireless connection. Instead use network cable between the PC-Router-TV.
    2. Try different routers and configuration. Routers that "give away" the ISP are low range; especially bad is your wireless connection.
    3. Although this point would be less relevant to the case, to the extent possible, our multimedia files must comply with the standards that the TV Player supports correctly.

In my case, I use network cable to connect the PC-Router-TV, which has fixed the main problem I had. Before with wireless network, when I reproduced my photos, sometimes depending on the day and at one point was "hung" and, from that moment, I could not continue playing new photos, but yes it could play videos and music. Only restarting the TV was corrected the problem.
    My conclusion was that the wireless signal on my network was too unstable for my Philips TV, because wiring my network the problem has been corrected.

The conclusion is that, while Philips does not make more stable DLNA connection of their TVs, customers must improve our network connection if we want to enjoy this medium of reproduction.

Regards

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Sorry Jomsp, but I think that way of rationalising is wrong.

If there is a DLNA problem with Philips TV's - which seems clearly to be the case (other tv's and devices seem not to have a problem with the same setup) - then Philips has an obligation to fix it their faulty products.

It should hardly be the responsibility of the customers to find inconvenient/costly workarounds due to Philips' complete lack of support/care.

If someone were to go out and buy a brand new car with air-conditioning, would they accept that the air-conditioning suddenly shuts off after 20 minutes? Would any reputable car manufacturer suggest that they minimise the problem by just opening the window instead to cool down the car? Or go out and buy another ventilation system to cool down the car?

I bought a DLNA TV for a specific reason - it's not practical/convenient for me to pull cables in from another room. There's a reason why a bought a TV with this specific feature - and I *DO* expect it to work as advertised.

Given that Philips seem unable/unwilling to address this fault - I'm guessing that it is a hardware problem in the DLNA module rather than a firmware problem. That is why they are so reluctant to help, as a recall would cost them a fortune in replacements and bad press.

But in truth, as the consumer, I don't give a damn what the *cause* is - that's not my problem, it's their's!

And I'm not interested in hooking up some kind of makeshift, 3rd party add-on at my own expense - it's exactly the kind of setup I was trying to avoid in the first place by buying this TV!!

Don't get me wrong Jomsp, I don't mean to shoot the messenger when you're only trying to help - especially when Philips is making absolutely no effort themselves to help. But my frustration with Philips knows no bounds at this point...

This is definitely the first *and last* Philips TV I will ever buy, and I'm being very proactive with my friends and colleagues to make sure they don't make the same mistake of buying from a *no-service* company like Philips. In the end, bad word of mouth will cost them a lot more than simply trying to offer support to their current customers.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Sorry #dajode, this thread is to give tips on how to improve the performance of our TV via DLNA.

In my comment, it has become clear what must be done to improve the performance of our Philips TV via DLNA, for those who freely wish to take advantage of my experience.

Regards

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Sorry Jomps I dont agree.

1. Philips TV's have build-in or optional (dongle) wifi connectivity there should not be a need for wire. Besides I have tried wireless as well as wired connection but this does not make any difference.

2. I have tried several routers of different manufacturers. All of them latest DLNA certified models. They all have the same problem. I have asked Philips for a list of tested, supported, recommended routers. They can't (or won't). I wonder how their R&D does the testing.

4. I only use media files that are supported.

5. TV's of other brands (except for LG) do not have these problems and work perfectly. Why do these work perfectly in the same network and is Philips not?

6. We are not using pre production TV's, we are not R&D people, not a testpanel nor network engineers. We are consumers and we may expect a DLNA certified TV to be Plug and Play and work seamless with other DLNA certified products. What else is the sence of DLNA certification?

It has cost me many hours, evenings, nights and weekends to test many different configurations and settings. I have tried all possibile solutions that pass by on this forum.

IT IS THE TV THAT SUCKS

Doens't anyone wonder why Philips is not replying to posts on this topic? After all it is their own forum. I can't believe they are not moderating. Why are they putting their head in the sand and let their customers float?

I allways thought that customer satisfaction, brand awareness and brand value is key to a vendor.

It is a shame that MMD (a TPV company) who manufactures the Philips TV's through a brand license agreement detracts the value of the Philips brand.

As a Philips addept I have had many Philips TV's. They have allways had the best TV's by far. It is with pain in my heart that I will no longer recommend a Philips TV to anyone that wants to use it for multi media purposes.

Good luck to you all.
    Last edited by Bill Jonair; 01-10-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Sorry Bill Jonair.

You think one thing. Why other many customers don't have your problem?. I don't know, but I think it is because some of your "PC-Router-TV" is different.

1. TV. I have two Philips TV, 9706 and 8605, is years from 2011 and 2010 manufacturing. If your TV is 2012 this would be a difference, because your TV is Chinese, but I doubt that there is a difference in DLNA with 2011, but I don't know. It would have to make sure that the firmware is correct and is correctly installed.

2. Router. Routers that "give away" the ISP are bad, especially very bad wireless connection. Tests should be done with routers from different brands and, if possible, good quality. Maybe you could try to connect directly with crossover cable TV to your PC (without using the router) and see what happens. How is your home network connection?. Do you use any Switch or some "rarity"?.

3. PC. What Media Server use?. For testing you should use Windows Media Server (WMP) and disabled anti-virus. If you have any Media Server installed different Windows uninstall it.

Regards

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomsp View Post
    Sorry Bill Jonair.

You think one thing. Why other many customers don't have your problem?. I don't know, but I think it is because some of your "PC-Router-TV" is different.

1. TV. I have two Philips TV, 9706 and 8605, is years from 2011 and 2010 manufacturing. If your TV is 2012 this would be a difference, because your TV is Chinese, but I doubt that there is a difference in DLNA with 2011, but I don't know. It would have to make sure that the firmware is correct and is correctly installed.

2. Router. Routers that "give away" the ISP are bad, especially very bad wireless connection. Tests should be done with routers from different brands and, if possible, good quality. Maybe you could try to connect directly with crossover cable TV to your PC (without using the router) and see what happens. How is your home network connection?. Do you use any Switch or some "rarity"?.

3. PC. What Media Server use?. For testing you should use Windows Media Server (WMP) and disabled anti-virus. If you have any Media Server installed different Windows uninstall it.

Regards
    Sorry Jomps,

I also disagree, but with you.
    You are right saying that many others have the system working but you have to consider that there are also a lot of others people that are facing the same issue.
    If you look at my previous post, I have a certain number of devices perfectly working with the router, with the wireless and without restart of the device, only the philips TV is giving me this trouble.
    I'm not so worried because frankly I don't consider, for the purpose I use the TV, this feature as foundamental for me but I have to agree with all the others that we paid for a function that is not working as the other devices are doing.
    Having already a few of devices working properly, why shall I replace my original network in order to make the last one working and not have Philips making it working as all the rest?
    I agree on the fact that in case philips will not solve the issue, we have to commonly find a workaround, but it will remain a workaround, not a solution.
    Final, also I'm surprised that there are no official position from Philips.

Regards

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Jomsp I appreciate that you're only trying to help, and these critiques are most definitely not aimed at you personally.

But if you're going to speak on behalf of Philips Support (who seem to be hiding from their own support forum? seriously?), then responses to Philips will tend to be addressed to you instead.

You don't know this either. Perhaps they returned their tv's or simply don't want to make use of the dlna function? Regardless, there are a lot of people who *do* seem to have this problem with their brand new Philips TVs.

make sure that the firmware is correct and is correctly installed.
    I think most do - that's the first step in troubleshooting. How can we make sure we have it "correctly installed"? TV told me it was installed successfully - how can this be verified?

Again, I think you're missing the point. People are saying that all their other tv's and devices are stable and running fine. Nowhere does Philips say that their dlna functionability is restricted to certain brands/models, or incompatible with others? Wouldn't that be their caveat emptor if that were the case? I'm using a new, high quality router from Apple - surely that's good enough for Philips? Signal strength is high, and I've never had any other wifi issues. Only with Philips. Ergo, Philips is the prime suspect.

I'm still having fairly good results using a fixed IP address assigned to the tv's MAC address. Haven't tested long enough to be sure, but have passed the magical drop-out zone a few times. Problem is that I get exceptionally stable streaming through both a Mac Mini and an XBox that are hooked up to the TV - so I just use those if I want to sit down and watch something

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Sorry MaximoG and Dajode.

My tips are for people who freely want to do something to solve their problems.

Regards

Silver Member
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dajode View Post
    A possible solution:

I haven't tested this long enough, so I don't know how stable this might be in the long run, but I've now had a couple of hours of problem-free streaming:

Go into your router and assign a fixed IP address to your TV (using the TV's MAC address).

Got my fingers crossed that this will keep holding up! But like I said, I've now had a couple of hours of streaming without the typical drop out...

Anyone else tried this?
    Hello Dajode, I tried with a static IP (or fixed DHCP via Mac adresse) and after 2 days, unable to dectect the TV via my network... So no, issue is still there.

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Sorry MaximoG and Dajode.

My tips are for people who freely want to do something to solve their problems.

Regards
    Jomps, I'm really grateful fort the tips you are giving and for the aim of your suggestions. My disagreement was for the "aperture" of your message. All of us must have a common understanding, the TV is not working as all the other systems, the fault it is not on our installation but is on the TV firmware.

Then, each tip to workaround this issue is well accepted and maybe helpful for the Philips R&D if they have intention to go for a solution.

Regards

Massimo

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast