• Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!100 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Thanks
    I experience frequent "network connection lost" problems - without using DLNA at all.

For me, i It happens just by watching a channel which includes HbbTV information (Danish TV DR1) .

Often, when the tv gets HbbTV info to show the "DR.NU (red dot)" logo in lower right corner, it will blank out the screen and show a [1[2[3 Connecting... STOP]]] panel. Sometimes it briefly shows a message about "network connection lost" (in Danish) first. But the common thing is that this pop-up never disappears by itself - I have to press OK to confirm the STOP button.
    The TV then goes completely black for 2 secs before returning to the channel/program I was watching.

So I think the problem lies deeper than DLNA -- it's at the root of the network stack or interface(s) affecting all services using the network. Insanely annoying for a "net tv" !

55pfl8007T/12 (150.82).
    Good WiFi connection 54 Mbps -- tried with static IP and DHCP settings - happens with both.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Philips support - are you getting any of this?

Your silence is rather ominous. Do you not care?

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Niels View Post
    Jorge,

Can you give more details (here or by direct message) about this setup?
    My TV is now connected to my Netgear WIN3700N router, but I still have an unused linksys WRT54g router.
    Can I create a similar solution as you did?
    It will reduce network speed from 65 Mbps to 54 Mpbs
    And are you using different network names for the network where the TV is connected to?

Niels

Hi Niels,

Exactly the same problem here.
    Configuration:
    TV: Philips 40PFL7605H/12
    Router: Netgear WNDR3800 + Lacie harddisk connected the USB port

While looking at video files from HD every app. 30 minutes the TV loses connection with the network.
    After switching the TV off and on the problem is "solved".
    So it looks quite clear the the problem is in the TV.
    It would be very nice if Philips could make this thing better in a next software update !!

Regards,
    Richard Suijkerbuijk

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Achievements:
    100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!31 days registered

Level
    Thanks
    I'm not really sure that the problem resides exclusively on the TV 's software, since I have solved it completely by simply changing the router which it was connected to. I've tried with an old one, and also with a brand new TP Link TD W8970. It is true that there is something interfering with the router caused by the TV and NOT with other newer Philips TVs. (I also own a 32pfl4007h and it has never given me any sort of problem).
    It has to be simply a certain combination of factors that makes the TV disconnect from the media server. (This does not mean that Philips is not responsible for solving it. Of course they should have done it a long, long ago).
    I know it's not fair but, I'd try with another router and see if luck smiles to you.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Well, in the beginning it worked all perfectly.
    But after the last firmware update the disconnectiong problems begun....
    And I did no hardware changes in the mean time !

Silver Member
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    Hello All,

I'm pretty sure that the problem comes from the TV. I have 1 iphone 5, 1 Mac, and one media center.
    They are LAN or Wi-Fi connected to the same router.

I installed a DLNA server et a DLNA client on my iPhone, on my mac and on my Media Server. The only device that doesn't work every time is the damn Philips TV. I'm not supposed to buy another hub/switch, philips will have to fix this issue... and quickly because the TV is one year old...

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Tagger Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I have 40PFL8008S TV (latest firmware), connected to wireless N network, with 130 Mbps speed, through Belkin router. Until 2 days ago, I was able to use DLNA to play mkv files from my PC (network).
    Now the same files are not recognized... "Unsupported file format" or something. The "Play To" function from Windows Media Player also stopped working for .mkv files.
    Anyone have any ideas? (Other than throwing the expensive TV out the window Thanks!

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Cristian, I am just a Philips consumer as you are.
    I suggest you try first with .AVI files (because DLNA streaming of MKV files via Windows media Player is not standard for Windows-it requires some Matroska file type resetting in Windows7 registry...). So to be sure it is not connected to MKV files, you can try with AVI files and see if PlayTo feature comes (JPG picture files also should make PlayTo button visible in Windows Explorer).
    On Windows Media Player, check also that you selected Stream "Automatically allow devices to play my media".
    On the TV itself, Network/Digital Media Renderer: check it is still ON
    Last, make a try with Ethernet cable connection if you have a cable on hands (so without Wifi connection): if it works, and does not work with Wifi, then it is related to Wifi...
    Hope it helps

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarcaul View Post
    Hi Cristian, I am just a Philips consumer as you are.
    I suggest you try first with .AVI files (because DLNA streaming of MKV files via Windows media Player is not standard for Windows-it requires some Matroska file type resetting in Windows7 registry...). So to be sure it is not connected to MKV files, you can try with AVI files and see if PlayTo feature comes (JPG picture files also should make PlayTo button visible in Windows Explorer).
    On Windows Media Player, check also that you selected Stream "Automatically allow devices to play my media".
    On the TV itself, Network/Digital Media Renderer: check it is still ON
    Last, make a try with Ethernet cable connection if you have a cable on hands (so without Wifi connection): if it works, and does not work with Wifi, then it is related to Wifi...
    Hope it helps
    Thanks for your answer pmarcaul. Unfortunately it didn;t help me. I know .mkv is not windows standard. But I have codecs and they do play on WMP; also I have the PlayTo button and the TV appears, but it fails to "contact media server"... AVI or other files work.
    MKV works from USB, but from the network (wifi or wired) it doesn't (same file that was playing a few days ago...). I tried all you said, with no result.

So the problem still stands:
    In the "Browse Network" source on the TV, the .mkv files appear with an "x" and if trying to play it I get "Unsupported file: not able to execute".
    In windows explorer if using the PlayTo option on mkv it freezes in "Contacting media server", or fails.

I'll try to reinstall the latest firmware, because "Reinstall TV" didn't help. Will post back.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Update: pmarcaul, you helped me after all. it was the thing you said about the registry. I started to wonder, because the TV played MKVs with other sharing software (ex: twonky), but not with the WMP share. So I reset my codecs (Shark007) to defaults and works fine now.

Now only the other 99 bugs remain ) Hope for a FW update soon.

Still on the subject, DLNA works fine on both wifi and wired. (in my case wi-fi - 130 Mbps, while wired is only 100 Mbps). However I cannot identify the problem with the stream dropping after a few minutes... I saw this issue also on the forum, but no solution so far.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hello all,

Just move from a Philips tv to a Panasonic plasma with the same network set up... Guess what, everything works like a charm... DLNA, remote, pictures and movies from a device... I think the technical point is in the Philips side.

I think it would be one of my last post here, and you don't imagine how I'm happy now with my new TV.

Regards,

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Htep View Post
    Hello all,

Just move from a Philips tv to a Panasonic plasma with the same network set up... Guess what, everything works like a charm... DLNA, remote, pictures and movies from a device... I think the technical point is in the Philips side.

I think it would be one of my last post here, and you don't imagine how I'm happy now with my new TV.

Regards,
    ) I hope Philips or TP Vision, whatever, see these kind of comments, 'cause they are alot and they'll at least try to keep some of the customers

Anyway, besides the VERY annoying bugs and lack of performance... I think Philips TVs still have some great features and great image quality. They just need to fix the current sw and hire some Quality Assurance (I'm available .

As for plasma TVs, I saw they are prone to clouding.. when whatching a channel for more than 5 mins... after changing the channel shadow of the channel logo remains on the screen, etc..
    Last edited by Cristian; 11-16-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: info change

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jonair View Post
    Before You put in the same effort I did, read this

I have same problem on both my Philips TV sets a 40PFL9606 and a 32PFL7605. Both are connected via DLink DIR-855 router to a Synology DS1511+ NAS. When streaming movies the playback stops after appr. 30 minutes due to disconnection of the TV sets to the server

No loss of connection on any other device.
    It is just the TV sets that loose connection. I stream music and movies to many other devices (Android Tablet, Windows Smartphone, Windows PC) without any problem.

Try Media Renderer
    Go to Configuration / Network Settings / Media Renderer and turn it on. I donít know why but it sometimes works. Still donít understand why I need to turn it on while it is allready turned on. It seems like the TV looses the setting????

Philips Support not SMART
    I spend many hours to figure out the problem. I was very well supported by DLink and especialy by Synology who supported me even up to R&D level.

Unlike Philips support who did not try at all to understand the problem and put any effort at all in solving this problem. I find that as long as you want to watch TV, they can help you out. They are not smart enough to support their SMART TV's. They even got rude and hooked up the Phone.

It is NOT your router..
    That causes the problem. Philips support wants to let you believe that your router causes the disconnection and refer to the manufacturer of the router.

I am lucky to work for a IT distributor and was able to try out several routers from different manufacturers without the need to buy one. Another router doesnít make a difference. Wired or wireless doesnít make a difference either.

I asked Philips support to provide me specifications a router should meet. They canít. They also can not provide settings of the router nor a supported router list.

I still wonder how they can conclude that the router causes the problem. Looking a the posts on several forums, people work with all kind of routers and storage devices.

Visit forums
    I have visited many forums. You will not find any topic on this problem from TVíowners of Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba. Visit for example the Synology forum and you will only find posts from owners of Philips and LG TVís. No wonder since Philips TVís are manufactured by LG.

My workaround
    I found that the problem occurs when using the TVís GUI. I now use the MyNet app on my on Android tablet to select and play movies and project to my TV. So far this works perfectly. The Philips MyRemote app should work the same way but it doesnít.

The Philips TV sucks
    All support departments I had contacted came to the same conclusion: The Philips TV causes the disconnection.

This is why I am for sure that it is the Philips TV
    One of my collegues has the exactly same configuration as I do. He also uses a Dlink DIR-855 router, the same Synology DS1511+, a Philips SMART TV and...... a Samsung TV. Gues whatÖÖ he has the same problem with his Philips TV. His Samsung TV however works perfectly.

Don't update the firmware, It will get worse
    I am pretty shure that at the start also video streaming worked well. The problems occured after installing a firmware update.
    Unfortunenately is not possible to downgrade and try.

Streaming Music worked fine until today. After installing the latest firmware version to my 40PFL9606 I can no longer play my Music files either. What a SMART TV.

DLNA certified ????
    I do not understand how Philips managed to get their TV sets DLNA certified. They simply don't work with other DLNA certified products. My NAS is DLNA certified and so where most of the routers I tested.

Go get your money back
    The TV does not do what it should do. In legal terms is it ďNon conformĒ. You can return your TV to the store and demand your money back on grounds of this non conformity.

If in future you want a TV set that works without putting in a lot of effort and get decent support. ...........

DONíT BUY A PHILIPS TV.

THIS HAS TO BE SINGLE-HANDEDLY THE BEST ANSWER HERE.

After so much searching online NO PHILLIPS TECH has EVER been able to identify this problem. Somehow the only people that ever got this working were reviewers from websites like C-Net after giving it a bad review to make it a good one. None of them ever bothered to help the general public with this problem. The main reason I created this account was to advise people STAY AWAY FROM THEIR TVS. In all, you pay extra for Net TV, a piece of crap software that brings netflix and hulu to your TV and 20 other programs that do NOT work. Best to just get a Roku if you need it that badly. To the mods and admins here, talk to your supervisors to offer better advise than you do. The same old "check your router, firewall, wifi" BS does not work no matter how many times you repeat it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 24Noel15 For This Useful Post:

Cristian (12-12-2013)

Silver Member
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    Hello,

My TV crashes to with streaming movies via my DLNA Certified NAS server and with Smart-TV/NET-TV functions.

When you call to the customer support by telephone, they are listening to your problems but they are not giving answers or solutions. They are letting me explain all like they hear these problems for the first time. It seems like they know about it but they don't have any solutions as they KNOW that it is firmware related.....

A satisfying answer could be: Yes mister, we know about these problems and are our technisians are working for a firmware update that solves the network related problems. (DLNA and SMARTTV) We are doing our best to solve it, give us a couple of weeks

I suppose a lot of customers have simular problems with Philips TV's as almost each family streams videos in 2013!!!

Belive me; I tried both: Wired and Wireless connection! Both having the same problems! I am Sooo disapointed.
    Last edited by Jarnimo; 12-12-2013 at 03:22 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarnimo For This Useful Post:

Per A (12-12-2013)

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarnimo View Post
    Hello,

My TV crashes to with streaming movies via my DLNA Certified NAS server and with Smart-TV/NET-TV functions.

When you call to the customer support by telephone, they are listening to your problems but they are not giving answers or solutions. They are letting me explain all like they hear these problems for the first time. It seems like they know about it but they don't have any solutions as they KNOW that it is firmware related.....

A satisfying answer could be: Yes mister, we know about these problems and are our technisians are working for a firmware update that solves the network related problems. (DLNA and SMARTTV) We are doing our best to solve it, give us a couple of weeks

I suppose a lot of customers have simular problems with Philips TV's as almost each family streams videos in 2013!!!

Belive me; I tried both: Wired and Wireless connection! Both having the same problems! I am Sooo disapointed.
    My problem is only regarding my local network. My PC's can see each other, but my SMART TV looses these connections after 10-20 minutes. The TV writes to me: Searching for mediaservers but never find any of my 3 computers ACTIVE (Twonky or other) mediaservers.
    The apps for my SMART TV are not perfect but are generally working OK. The APPs are not made by PHILIPS, and sometimes not tested on all TV models?. In this moment I have to turn off my TV .... wait a minute... turn it on again and after 1 minute or 3 the servers are showing again on my TV. Then these disappears again after used for 10-20 minutes. Then same procedure if I want to see/ use these again.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast