Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

A smart TV IS also a media player

Quote Originally Posted by Racker View Post
    Not possible or necessary to choose subtitles in the TV; let me try to explain why:

- When watching broadcasts, subtitling is done by the TVstation.
    - When watching recordings (discs) you can set your subtitles in your local play-back equipment/player (IE DVD/Blue-ray/....).
    - Subtitling is never set, cannot be set in the TV itself unless it has a built in DVD/Blu-ray/.... player, and even then... (see below).

As Benedickte said: Technically, a TV (even a smart TV) is not a mediaplayer. Therefore a TV cannot show anything that isn't offered either via the tuner or by secondary equipment. Even if this secondary equipment is a built- in player, the setting of subtitling will be done within the player module and never in the TV module.
    Of coarse a Smart TV is also a media player. It is even advertised functionality that you can play video's over DLNA or from a USB connected harddisk. This includes support for subtitle files like .SRT.

The problem with languages like Greek is only a different character set I guess.

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered500 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks
    some suggestions

possibility to delete channels- tv or sat ( i can hardly navigate the 1000 + channels )
    when installing channels ( sat ) an option for free only would be very useful
    instead of matrix channel display a true list would be mush easier to navigate ( or am i missing something )
    add more lists - like news, kids, sport etc - not just favorites . this would make navigation much easier and faster
    epg for the selected list
    permanently disply the clock in on the screen in a corner
    my tv 46PFL5537K/12

thank you
    Last edited by mihab; 10-23-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredNew Achievement!500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    I'm still notice the ghosting effect while playing a game on PS3.Philips gonna do something with it?.I read many reviews and this happens to 40PFL5507 with samsung PVA panel.Really love this TV but this should be fixed, improve the response time!.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    UPGRADE:
    oh new version fw... great? and for Czech great .) But Im worried to install it. Because I had bad expirience with version Q554E_0.92.0.0 (Date published: 2012-09-25), TV was very slow only one improvement was, that I could sort in SAT channel list according name or number But previous firmware Q554E_0.74.1.0 (Date published: 2012-02-28) was faster.. and I couldn't go back.

DOWNGRADE:
    Is possible to go back from firmware 93 to 92, if I will find some new issue? If yes, I will try it update.

TV FROZEN:
    For programer guys: When I have SCART source and turn off TV, than turn on TV ... I see SCART source.. hit TV source and TV will change to SAT channel, but any button on TV or Remote contor doesnt work... need to unplug TV from power :/...
    Also in Home MENU I cant add to my sources - SCART input.

SKYPE for 5007:
    I see, that in Europe we cant use skype for this series... why in latin america is possible to use SKYPE?
    http://www.philips.com.ar/c/televisi...l5007g_77/prd/
    firmware:42pfl5007g_77_fus_asp.zip

supported TV for Skype Philips Camera:
    Philips PTA317/00

KompatibilnŪ s: _PFL6xx7 (EU), _PFL7007 (EU), _PFL8007 (EU), _PDL6907, 46PFL9707, 60PFL9607, _PFL5007 (Lat. Am.), _PFL6007 (Lat. Am.), _PFL7007 (Lat. Am.)

Thank you

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registeredNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AfroJack View Post
    Of coarse a Smart TV is also a media player. It is even advertised functionality that you can play video's over DLNA or from a USB connected harddisk. This includes support for subtitle files like .SRT.

The problem with languages like Greek is only a different character set I guess.
    Beg to differ... .SRT files are handled in the player part of the set- up, never in the display- part (the TV).

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Beg to differ... .SRT files are handled in the player part of the set- up, never in the display- part (the TV).
    I agree that it is in the player part.
    Since the player part is also in my TV (because I don't have an external player) I still state that the TV is also a media player.

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    The firmware version 0.93, from the point of view of the problems of ghosting and visual quality in general, seems a little bit better than 0.92. I believe, however, Philips was not correct to use panels from other manufacturers (Samsung PVA) for an excess demand by consumers, in some ways cheating who bought this tv watching the original Sharp panel or the great reviews obtained with that one. I doubt that they can improve the response time ..

The downgrade is possible (not recommended by Philips):

Instructions for downgrade to a lower SW version:

Switch the TV "off": unplug or use mainscord TV's mains switch.
    Unzip file and copy "autorun.upg" in the root of an USB stick and plug it into TV.
    Press the OK (or ARROW DOWN) button on the remote, keep it pressed, and cold-start the TV
    (with USB stick plugged in).
    You will now enter the software upgrade / downgrade menu.
    Choose the correct autorun.upg and start the software update / downgrade.

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by giordan View Post
    The firmware version 0.93, from the point of view of the problems of ghosting and visual quality in general, seems a little bit better than 0.92. I believe, however, Philips was not correct to use panels from other manufacturers (Samsung PVA) for an excess demand by consumers, in some ways cheating who bought this tv watching the original Sharp panel or the great reviews obtained with that one. I doubt that they can improve the response time ..

The downgrade is possible (not recommended by Philips):

Instructions for downgrade to a lower SW version:

Switch the TV "off": unplug or use mainscord TV's mains switch.
    Unzip file and copy "autorun.upg" in the root of an USB stick and plug it into TV.
    Press the OK (or ARROW DOWN) button on the remote, keep it pressed, and cold-start the TV
    (with USB stick plugged in).
    You will now enter the software upgrade / downgrade menu.
    Choose the correct autorun.upg and start the software update / downgrade.
    I just bought 40PFL5537K/12 with serial number ZH1I 1240 0121... It is presumably made at the beginning of october (week 40). ZH1I is maybe Sharp panel since many of sets with ZH1? or VN1? are Sharp panels. If it is so, than Philips again uses Sharp panels.

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    HiÖ

I have a Philips 40pfl5007h-k12 led tv. I think the default speakers of this tv are very worse. They making high pitched sound. For this reason I want to use external speakers. I tryied to use optical out and headphone out in left side on tv for connect external speakers. So when I connect speakers, I canít control easily the volume with tvís remote control. I have to enter a few menu for access headphones volume control screen. (menu/setup/tv settings/sound/headphones volume) It isn't useful and user friendly. It must be easier. I cant do it every time when I control the volume of tv.

And there is a another problem. This tv dont support turkish letters when showing subtitles. Itís show different letters. That's why turkish users canít use this tv for divx playing. We need a firmware update.

Thank you for your support.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
    (....)I think the default speakers of this tv are very worse. They making high pitched sound. For this reason I want to use external speakers. I tryied to use optical out and headphone out in left side on tv for connect external speakers. So when I connect speakers, I canít control easily the volume with tvís remote control. I have to enter a few menu for access headphones volume control screen. (menu/setup/tv settings/sound/headphones volume) It isn't useful and user friendly. It must be easier. I cant do it every time when I control the volume of tv.(....).
    I wholeheartedly agree with that! The "Incredible Sound", Philips advertised is incredible indeed... incredible sh*t!! I've applied for this option earlier: As far as I know, controlling Toslink (optical) by remote control would be a problem, technically speaking. But controlling the headphone out should be a simple software adjustment, urgently needed in the next update. Simply rename the headphone out to "auxiliary sound out" and give the user a choice by means of a check-box in setup, either to have a fixed volume or to follow remote control... PLEASE!!

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Hi, I encounter an issue with HD images when i set the TV so as to get the maximum sharpness : I enable [Super resolution], I turn [Sharpness] to 10, and I disable all others digital image enhancements processing (I mean that I disable Noise reduction, Natural Motion, clear LCD, MPEG artefact reduction...). Therefore, some areas of image are blinking when they contains some (digital or analog) film grain. This occurs with all HD sources (DVB-T or HDMI sources or USB) when the image has grain. This is very boring and I expect a software release. In the meanwhile, I set Noise reduction to medium in order to reduce these disturbances, but I cannot enjoy the maximum definition of the screen (however, my tv provides great images if no grain at all :-). MODEL : 32PFL5507H/12. Thank you for your help. Regards

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I agree that it is in the player part.
    Since the player part is also in my TV (because I don't have an external player) I still state that the TV is also a media player.
    My simple 32pfl4007h will show subtitles in any language I choose in my external player.... apparently you've got a set with a built- in DVD/Blu-ray player? Never knew Philips had those.. But still: I do not see any reason why that wouldn't play Cyrillic or even Japanese subtitles.. Just out of curiosity: what's your model/type??

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Related to firmware 93. I already upgrade and reaction of TV is fine (as before). HBBTV for Czech works now. Other changes I didnt noticed.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    My simple 32pfl4007h will show subtitles in any language I choose in my external player.... apparently you've got a set with a built- in DVD/Blu-ray player? Never knew Philips had those.. But still: I do not see any reason why that wouldn't play Cyrillic or even Japanese subtitles.. Just out of curiosity: what's your model/type??
    No I don't have a buildin DVD/Blu-ray player.

We have small misunderstanding here. A media player is not necessarily a DVD/Blu-ray player.
    Our Philips SmartTV is capable of playing media files like ".avi" or ".mkv" from an USB device including support for subtitle files like ".srt". You can browse the contents of an attached USB device and play the media files with the build-in player. You can find the instructions for it in the manual so it is a part of the TV and should be supported as such.

For me it works ok with dutch language ".srt" files but apparently for some languages it doesn't. depending on the character set used. Officialy according to the manual the TV supports the following character encoding:

Windows-1252 (CP-1252)
    -Superset of ISO 8859-1
    -Western Europe
    (Latin script or alphabet)

Maybe the languages that don't work properly don't fall into this category?

BTW, I have a 46pfl5507

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    No I don't have a buildin DVD/Blu-ray player.

We have small misunderstanding here. A media player is not necessarily a DVD/Blu-ray player.
    Our Philips SmartTV is capable of playing media files like ".avi" or ".mkv" from an USB device including support for subtitle files like ".srt". (....) Officialy according to the manual the TV supports the following character encoding:

Windows-1252 (CP-1252)
    -Superset of ISO 8859-1
    -Western Europe
    (Latin script or alphabet)

Maybe the languages that don't work properly don't fall into this category?

BTW, I have a 46pfl5507
    Ahhh... IC.. The culprit:Some decision-makers, in all their wisdom have decided to have two sets with names that are almost, but not quite equal: ISO 8859-1 holds only the most common European characters, while ISO-8859-1 (Note the extra Dash after "ISO") also holds "extra" characters, like f/i "ś" (see http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-1). According to your post, the TV-set supports only the "simplified" western European character-set, w/o the extra "dash".

Conclusion: this TV was clearly** never designed to be able to display any extended characters from .srt files, nor has it been advertised to do so. Though "someway or another" I do understand the confusion...

**Clearly: as clear as good old Dutch pea-spoup, as we say here....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast