• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Angry 42pfl6007 h12 dse

After searching in the forums, there seem to be a lot of people with DSE screen problems. Sadly, I seem to be one of them.
    I've recently purchased a 42PFL 6series TV and I've had heaps of problems with it.
    Below a list of all the problems. Be aware that I have these problems on all kinds of sources (laptop, tvtuner, DVDplayer, etc) and everything was tested thoroughly, hoping I'd be able to resolve the problems myself.

1)DSE
    This is on of the problems that still presists, after many software updates.
    I've got large vertical bands in my screen, the screen has a very bad uniformity.
    The effect is very noticable when there are horizontal panning scenes on the TV.
    Also when the TV has to display near flat colours (a large white wall or massive blue sky) the bands are there.

2)Pure motion HD
    Seriously, who came up with this? Was this feature even tested before pushing it out on your TV's?
    My model is advertised with 600Hz purest, smoothest motion on EARTH.
    But still, with this option on, the TV starts to stutter to no end. Some frames seem more fluent, but very fast-paced scenes show pixellation and stuttery effects.

Even with this option OFF, I still notice some weird things - albeit a lot less than with this option ON.
    For instance there is a certain show that I follow that shows a horizontal-rolling end-generic.
    At the start of this horizontal rolling band the letters stutter a bit, and after a second or two changes to a fluid moving rolling motion.(I hope this is somewhat clear).

3)Artifacts
    For a week or two, I had problems with artifacts on the tv that would require multiple re-boots of the TV to get rid of the effect.
    A software update seems to have fixed this. But seriously Philips, how did you manage this?

4)Menu (lesser problem)
    Why was this TV designed with menu graphics that the TV can't handle?
    Going in and through menu's is a pain, everything goes quite slow.
    You know, people apreciate responsiveness. The TV seems to struggle due to the transparent parts of the interface, which nobody cares about.
    Make you menu's to the point, and make it so that the hardware of the TV can actually handle changing things.
    It takes me up to 20 seconds to enter the "advanced setup" part to disable all of the gimmickey enhancement because let's be honest, that's what they are.

Now, for me the first DSE problem is the worst.
    I would like this fixed, and I will not quit until I get a full properly working replacement that I can properly inspect beforehand or a refund.
    The response & solutions suggested will determine if I or any of my family will ever buy Philips again.
    There is simply no excuse as my brothers 40" samsung TV of a measly 350euro has better image quality, no banding problems, great backlight and a simple & fast menu.
    I will persist in updating this post frequently and if necessairy will herass Philips on every channel possible until I am satisfied.
    I am not difficult to satisfy - just give me what I paid for.

Kind regards,
    looking forward to your replies

-Michel Van Weyenbergh
    BELGIUM

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Exclamation 42pfl6007/k12: Let's make things better, Sense and simplicity?!

42pfl6007/k12: Let's make things better, Sense and simplicity?!

Same and more problems here. This television should not be sold this way. Every update seems to add another new problem.

Some problems:
    • Flickering/watering effect on fast (horizontal) moving objects (especially with 3d on)
    • Remote control is very slow not responsive at all. Have to unplug the power.
    • TV not recovering from stand by mode (in all modes)
    • Youtube app cannot handle 1080p movies and starts to falter
    • Long Youtube movies in HD mode (>75 minutes) don't play at all
    • TV crashes on Youtube while automatically trying playing next movie
    • Menu animations very slow and too ambitious for current hardware specifications (please enable option to disable effects)
    • NetTV function login sometimes unsuccessful at first time
    • NetTV screen slow because of frames using the Internet. Disable these ads (and TV preview too?) to make space for more app icons!!!!! Didn't pay for those game ads. Its a TV, not a game computer.
    • Make apps (shortcuts) available offline, not online (imagine the Philips (partner) site being offline, you have no SmartTV).
    • Web browser is useless (slow, zoom in, zoom out). Opera is usually OK, but maybe you should try chrome or chromium.
    • DLNA player stops half way the movie or starts to falter
    • TV does not support AAC codec, 5.1 etc. So every time I have to convert audio to MP3 or AC3.
    • TV does not support MKV subtitels or multiple audio languages???

To sum up all problems... slow, unresponsive, unstable and not so smart at all! My mobile outperforms this TV.

My advise is to hire some other manager and new ("Smart thinking") programmers.

To be continued...

Denny Lenselink.
    Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelvw View Post
    After searching in the forums, there seem to be a lot of people with DSE screen problems. Sadly, I seem to be one of them.
    I've recently purchased a 42PFL 6series TV and I've had heaps of problems with it.
    Below a list of all the problems. Be aware that I have these problems on all kinds of sources (laptop, tvtuner, DVDplayer, etc) and everything was tested thoroughly, hoping I'd be able to resolve the problems myself.

1)DSE
    I've got large vertical bands in my screen, the screen has a very bad uniformity.
    The effect is very noticable when there are horizontal panning scenes on the TV.
    Also when the TV has to display near flat colours (a large white wall or massive blue sky) the bands are there.

2)Pure motion HD
    Seriously, who came up with this? Was this feature even tested before pushing it out on your TV's?
    But still, with this option on, the TV starts to stutter to no end. Some frames seem more fluent, but very fast-paced scenes show pixellation and stuttery effects.

Even with this option OFF, I still notice some weird things - albeit a lot less than with this option ON.
    For instance there is a certain show that I follow that shows a horizontal-rolling end-generic.
    At the start of this horizontal rolling band the letters stutter a bit, and after a second or two changes to a fluid moving rolling motion.(I hope this is somewhat clear).

3)Artifacts
    For a week or two, I had problems with artifacts on the tv that would require multiple re-boots of the TV to get rid of the effect.
    A software update seems to have fixed this. But seriously Philips, how did you manage this?

4)Menu (lesser problem)
    You know, people apreciate responsiveness. The TV seems to struggle due to the transparent parts of the interface, which nobody cares about.
    Make you menu's to the point, and make it so that the hardware of the TV can actually handle changing things.
    It takes me up to 20 seconds to enter the "advanced setup" part to disable all of the gimmickey enhancement because let's be honest, that's what they are.

I would like this fixed, and I will not quit until I get a full properly working replacement that I can properly inspect beforehand or a refund.
    The response & solutions suggested will determine if I or any of my family will ever buy Philips again.
    There is simply no excuse as my brothers 40" samsung TV of a measly 350euro has better image quality, no banding problems, great backlight and a simple & fast menu.
    I will persist in updating this post frequently and if necessairy will herass Philips on every channel possible until I am satisfied.

Kind regards,

-Michel Van Weyenbergh
    BELGIUM

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    And to add all of the problems:

Since the last update we now have a very noticable flickering in the screen whenever a scene in the image changes (for example different scene/camera angle/going from dark to light)
    Come on Philips don't leave me in the dark...

Silver Member
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassNew Achievement!1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    Michelvw, can you describe the vertical bands you have in a bit more detail? How many of them?

Did you try to visualize a dark uniform colour across the screen to locate where the DSE/banding is?

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelvw View Post

1)DSE

2)Pure motion HD

3)Artifacts

4)Menu (lesser problem)

Kind regards,

-Michel Van Weyenbergh
    BELGIUM
    Just to add to this:

I just bought two 42PFL6007T/12 and they have now been running for about a week. I am surprised of the rather poor quality regarding flicker and artefacts no matter what I do to the various settings. In fact it seems to get worse the more I try to adjust settings supposed to get rid of these problems. As I understand from reading other posts, these problems have existed since this model was launched sometime near the beginne of last year (2012), however they have not yet been corrected. Is there an update to be expected soon, which will fix this, or am I better of returning the two sets immediately?

jauary 18, 2013: have just experienced another defect: sometimes it is impossible to change channels, I have to switch the TV off and on again in order to continue channel change