• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Not wholly satisfying 3D depth

When watching 3D movies on my brand new 47PFL6877T, I have problems getting the 3D view "out of the TV screen". I can truly see that it is 3D, but the depth is only backwards the screen, not in front of it.
    If I go to a cinema, it seems that the happening is just in front of me, like that I just can grab the features pointing out if I try to. The same happens at the TV retailer. But at home, the film stops right at the screen.
    I tried to swich the depth on TV but still no major change.

Is it the TV, or may it be the cable or even the 3D blueray player?
    I'm quite sure its not the 3D film.

Otherwise it's a great TV.

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cholm View Post
    When watching 3D movies on my brand new 47PFL6877T, I have problems getting the 3D view "out of the TV screen". I can truly see that it is 3D, but the depth is only backwards the screen, not in front of it.
    If I go to a cinema, it seems that the happening is just in front of me, like that I just can grab the features pointing out if I try to. The same happens at the TV retailer. But at home, the film stops right at the screen.
    I tried to swich the depth on TV but still no major change.

Is it the TV, or may it be the cable or even the 3D blueray player?
    I'm quite sure its not the 3D film.

Otherwise it's a great TV.
    you are right, I also have the same model same size, I dont get the 3D feeling as I get used to at the cinemas, the depth is inside the tv not towards the audience.

But also in some videos I was able to get this feeling, like IMAX deep under the sea trailer, there is a scene where a fish is swimming towards you you will get what you are looking for.

so I bealive that this depth question is mostly related to recording technique, not all movies can have all the scenes like the one in IMAX's movie.

hope this helps.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I don't think you can expect IMAX type of 'floating between screen and audience' effects on a regular sized home television. It's simply the limitations of the human physics and the size of our homes.

I do see pop-out effects occasionally when watching BluRay films, but to be fair I like the depth effects better. I also have a feeling that producers of 3D films trie to minimize the 'pop-out' effects as in general (around the web) people are not really font of pop-out effects on the TV.

So in cinema's there is more pop-out and less depth, on your TV less pop-out more depth. Again, not sure if that's a natural outcome, or a choice by producers. But certainly not something that is a malfunction on the Philips TV.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    your issue is cause 2d to 3d conversion can't give pop up 3d effect only depth!

If you want pop up 3d you will have to buy a 3d bluray movie to get 3d effects with pop up effect and not even all movies that are on 3d bluray got 3d pop so read reviews!