• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

GoGear Ariaz 8GB Suggestions

░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░ Suggestion 1 of 2 ░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░

[Custom firmware capability for GoGear Ariaz /37]

• Rockbox is a free dual-bootable replacement firmware for digital music players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P77TMz6j0s#t=701s&hd=1

It runs on a couple of Philips mp3 players:

1. Philips GoGear HDD16X0/18X0
    2. Philips GoGear HDD63X0
    3. Philips GoGear SA9200

Unfortunately as this is a community developed firmware you have to wait for someone to take up the task of toying around with a specific device (Read: Hacking it) and hope they can figure out how to safely apply the firmware across the different variations of a class of MP3 player.

Rockbox greatly enhances the capability and therefore value of any MP3 player due to a myriad of features implemented in the firmware, such as intelligent seeking, custom playback speed(Time-Stretching), advanced recording features with custom output formats and radio recording, audio bookmarking, support for many different filetypes for audio as well as video, radio support, image viewing, and many other really useful features.

Exposure to Rockbox pretty much spoiled the majority of the standard firmwares for most of the MP3 players out there. However I must say, even though I was initially skeptical of the SongBird software, it's proved to be a rather useful counterpart to my Ariaz, I especially love the fact that it auto-formats my videos to the proper resolution and automatically syncs it to my device!

Which brings me to the second suggestion.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░ Suggestion 2 of 2 ░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░

[Intelligent Seeking]

Being that the first suggestion is an obvious pipe dream I have 1 main thing that I miss from Rockbox.

That is the way Rockbox implemented seeking. The way it works is, as you press fast forward or rewind the device starts seeking faster and faster and faster nonstop UNTIL it reaches the MIDDLE of the song or video, wherein the device will slowly start seeking slower and slower to a more manageable level so that by the time you get to the end you don't accidentally overseek into the next song on the playlist.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibdn74KdQh9pql.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	1542

Everything worked this way by the way, for audio as well as video. It even worked like this when scrolling through files, it got progressively faster the longer you held it down.

Basically I wish everything searched through faster, a really long song (Let's not even talk about really long videos) on the Ariaz takes way too long to seek.

Can we expect an improved interface for the Ariaz 1.09 firmware? An hour long song takes way too long to seek!

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by bugmenot; 11-12-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear users,

Third Party Content/Software

Philips is in no way responsible for the content of any site owned by a third party that may be linked to the Web Site via hyperlink, whether or not such hyperlink is provided by the Web Site or by a third party in accordance with the Terms of Use. Any link on our Web Site to another site is not an endorsement of such other site and no judgment or warranty is made with respect to the accuracy, timeliness, or suitability of the content of any site to which the Web Site may link, and we take no responsibility therefor.

Any software made available for downloading from or through this Web Site is licensed subject to the terms of any applicable license agreement. Except as set forth in the applicable license agreement, the software is made available for use by end users only and any further copying, reproduction or redistribution of the software is expressly prohibited. WARRANTIES, IF ANY, WITH RESPECT TO SUCH SOFTWARE SHALL ONLY APPLY AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THE APPLICABLE LICENSE AGREEMENT. PHILIPS HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL FURTHER REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE.
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    So I'll take that as a no, gg