Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Exactly what services are availble in the US

We have had our new Phillips for a week and are still learning but so far I am disappointed in the Net Tv, Media Connect, and LAN access. All of the cool bells and whistles I hope to get, things that were advertised by the seller, published in the manual are not to my expectation.

My Model 46 PFL5705D\F7. What can this model do besides be a very nice LCD HDTV?

When I select Net Tv I get nothing but radios stations, that is all. Media Connect doesn't even exist, you have to have a code to get it, guess what no code anywhere in my documentation so there is no media sharing from my PC. The unit does have an ethernet port and of course I have it working but so far all it can do is play radio stations and let me spend money at net flicks. I am not interested in getting movies from netflix and if radio stations is all this machine can do then Isay this TV is not internet ready.

Philips WTF can this TV do that I am not seeing?

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scarab View Post
    ... so there is no media sharing from my PC.
    Try installing something like TVersity (it should be mentioned in manual), that will let you share your movies from PC through search computer (or something called like that) media player (divx and mkv without DTS => u need to convert mkv with dts to mkv with ac3).

NetTV is useless crap to me... youtube and stuff like that not much interesting to me... no videostore in our country is supported by philips so not much of a point to me.

Media connect is for wifi dongle... doesnt work over ethernet (rip off)...

Anyway TV has nice colors and contrast but software is dissapointment to me... if i read this forum before i bought this TV i would probably buy something else im just getting feeling here they dont care about user requests

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Is DVB-T EPG and IP-EPG working in US?

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake292 View Post
    Try installing something like TVersity (it should be mentioned in manual), that will let you share your movies from PC through search computer (or something called like that) media player (divx and mkv without DTS => u need to convert mkv with dts to mkv with ac3).

NetTV is useless crap to me... youtube and stuff like that not much interesting to me... no videostore in our country is supported by philips so not much of a point to me.

Media connect is for wifi dongle... doesnt work over ethernet (rip off)...

Anyway TV has nice colors and contrast but software is dissapointment to me... if i read this forum before i bought this TV i would probably buy something else im just getting feeling here they dont care about user requests
    Thanks for the reply Lake292, I am with you on last statement.

I have Tversity Pro and can't get it to work consistently with XBMC running on my ATV maybe I can get it to work on the Philips TV.

I agree the software is a major disappointment to me as well. As well as the forum. Moderators come on here but no engineers that I have seen. This forum is as much use as Tversity's = LAMEO.

The dongle would be nice for media connect but I haven't found a way to get it. There is a FAQ on Media connect that states Media Connect work via hard wired LAN conncection but the catch is you have to have the software. Guess what, you can't get the spoware becaue you have to enter the 'super friggen secret code' which we do not have.

From Philips Media Connect FAQ
    Question
    I don't understand how I should connect to my home network?
    Answer

For a wireless home network you need an internet connection, a device called a Wireless router or Wireless accesspoint and at least one PC.
    The router presentes itself with a certain name (SSID). When scanning for a network you may see several names, both your router's and those of neighbouring houses or appartments.
    In the list, select the router you are sure it is yours.
    You may need to entre the security password you have set for your router (consult your routers user manual). If you don't see your network, check it has its wireless function enabled.
    If it is out of range, try to reposition the router. If radio interference does not allow a good connection, use a wired connection (UTP cable) between the TV and the router.

Was this document helpful?

and the link to the FAQ page
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/f...99.120.178.173

This and other documents indicate that the mysterious Media Connect will work on a hard wired LAN connection. I call BS on that and want them to prove it and document it.

How did you get Tversity to work with you LCD? Any help is appreciated because right now Tversity would be better than nothing for me. I don't want a $1000.00 internet radio.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    You have to buy dongle from some retailer, it can be found on ebay also... but media connect doesnt work over LAN even if you have that software... i have dongle but it wasnt as good as LAN because when i was streaming 1080p movie from PC it was lagging, doesnt happen with LAN connection... so i have useless dongle with software that doesnt want to work without dongle over LAN...
    Anyway with tversity i did like nothing... installed it and created library but i wasnt able to see it because of my firewall... try to disable all firewalls (PC, router, etc) and see if you can get it to work... if it will be working find TCP/UDP port and add exception...
    Hope that helps

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I checked my Tversity status page and it recognizes the device(Philips LCD IP address) fine. On the Philips should I add a device, source or what? On the XBMC/ATV setup I could discover network devices, on the Philips I just checked and cannot find a way to select my computer or Tversity. What port is the Philips LCD using?

I am sure I have the ports open on the router becuase it works on XBMC and ATV and for the moment I have my PC firewall turned off as well?

What you have told me so far is encouraging and I hope I can get it working.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    i think its port 41952 and on TV dont add device but from home pick search computer (dunno how its called in your version), i have it in top right corner of screen

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

media-center faq from Philips web site

"Note:
    Even though the FAQs for Philips Wi-Fi MediaConnect are listed under the Philips Wi-Fi dongle PTA01/00, you DO NOT need any additional hardware accessory device other than the Wireless Dongle which came with your unit to use Philips Wi-Fi MediaConnect; MediaConnect is a software feature built in to your unit's firmware.

All you need is the Wi-Fi MediaConnect software installed on your PC, a Philips Wi-Fi Media Connect capable HDTV, Blu-ray player or Blu-ray HTiB and both your Philips device and PC must be on the same Home Network (i.e. connected to the same router).

You can also use Wi-Fi Media Connect with a wired Ethernet connection (Philips to Router and/or PC to Router); it does not have to be Wi-Fi."

The last line in the faq states specifically you can use media-connect thru an ethernet connection. More mis-information?
    So far I am finding the Philips solution as worthless as the ethernet port on my model of LCD. I truly truly truly wish I had not purchased this one.

Sign me as one mislead and pissed off consumer. and I will not recommend my model to anyone.

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scarab View Post
    "Note: My Model 46 PFL5705D\F7. What can this model do besides be a very nice LCD HDTV?
    The "/F7" models support "Netflix". Net TV as operational in Europe is not (yet) supported in the USA.
    Last edited by Philips; 01-10-2011 at 12:43 PM.
    Forum Mod

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Does Philips intend to make Net Tv operational in the US? If so what is the time frame? And will it be made available on on \F7 models?

For me Net Flix doesn't cut it at all. I wanted to purchase a real internet television to allow me to junk Dish Network etc. It's obvious I haven't accomplished that.

As I mentioned in the thread I have access to more movies than Netflix can ever hope to have and I get them before most even hit the big screen. At the moment I have to copy them to a USB drive and plug the drive into my DVD player to watch. Not much of a hassle but I know there has to be a better way. But movies are not the end all.

Does Philips know how many free TV hsow sites there are on the internet? That is what I really want to access via the LCD and to surf the internet to those sites and watch the content.

The biggest disappointment is not being able to stream from my computer to the tv wired or wireless at all.