• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Question 32PFL3517H audio out/external speakers

I'm trying to get my new 32PFL3517H to play sound on external speakers using SCART to L/R.

TV speakers don't automatically turn off unless I turn them off in Settings.

But then there's no way to use my remote to control the audio out output level

When i try to select "Amplifier" i get this message "Failed. TV speakers active"

Any ideas on how to properly connect external speakers and still be able to use tv's remote to control sound?

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi suntzutzu,

Sorry to see you're having a few problems getting your speakers to work just right

Can you let me know which connections your speakers have? Then I'll be able to work out the best way to get them to work with the television how you want them to

I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,

Rafe

Quote Originally Posted by suntzutzu View Post
    I'm trying to get my new 32PFL3517H to play sound on external speakers using SCART to L/R.

TV speakers don't automatically turn off unless I turn them off in Settings.

But then there's no way to use my remote to control the audio out output level

When i try to select "Amplifier" i get this message "Failed. TV speakers active"

Any ideas on how to properly connect external speakers and still be able to use tv's remote to control sound?
    Forum Mod

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Cheers!
    My external speakers have only 2 analog audio in options: a pair of R/L RCA jacks and a 3.5 mm female jack. Currently i am using headphones out from the tv, and RCA jacks in for the speakers.
    The problem is that I have to press buttons on the remote 16 times just to get inside the headphones volume menu. I have the latest firmware installed.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    small update: tried contacting philips customer support in my country to get my audio out working. i wrote the message in one language and they decided to answer in another language, which i think is rude at least. all i got from them was a sparse reply with a link to the product's page and manual, a page i could obviously find on my own. i still re-read all the info, thinking maybe it was my bad and maybe missed something. basically they just wasted my time without at least trying to answer any of my questions.

i am kind of upset now wih my tv brand choice, because i have owned cheap electronics from china with better customer support.

the connections i tested are these:
    - headphones out - audio out working, no practical volume control via remote (16 key presses only to start adjusting headphones volume)
    - euroconnector to RCA adapter cable: audio out working, absolutely no way of volume control via remote

still to try:
    digital audio out to DAC box - no idea if inserting a jack into the digital out will mute the tv speakers and allow me to use the remote to control audio out volume. buying a DAC would mean extra cost only to achieve what most other tvs do by default. using a DAC box would also mean that all the energy i save by using a new led tv instead of my previous lcd will be wasted on powering the device.

in my opinion the obvious software design flaw for this tv is the separate headphones volume, a feature that renders the remote volume keys useless. i am trying to find a solution that would solve this and start enjoying sound without the wall bouncing echo from the weak rear-facing tv speakers (a common design problem from all manufacturers nowadays)

obvious mcguyver solution would be to unscrew the back and solder the speaker cables to a RCA or a 3.5mm jack. but then... why would i buy a new philips tv only to void my warranty and start working on it?

so the question to all forum members is this: is there ANY practical way to control volume coming out of the 32PFL3517H to external speakers via the tv's remote control?
    Last edited by suntzutzu; 12-14-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I am facing exactly the same situation and my conclusion is that there is no way to control the volume when we have connected external speakers.

Because I thought Digital Audio is behaving in a different way, I've purchased a convertor - > digital audio to analog audio. Unfortunately the volume control is again doing nothing.
    That really is a pity. Obviously to me this is a great disappointment.

Furthermore, I've contacted Philips support for help and they still haven't replied to me (that was about 10 days ago).

So far my experience with this brand is very poor. This is going to be my first and last Philips product, I guess...

Is there someone from the support, to confirm at least if we should expect any change of the audio behavior?

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    hmm.. thanks for info and for saving me money on a DAC. seems i payed more for the philips and it doesn't do stuff my previous lcd used to do. unfortunately it's too late to give it back to the seller. it is a pity, because it is a software problem that could be solved with 10 lines of code in the badly designed linux firmware.

i also wrote philips support from my country and received a unhelpful and even rude reply. i wrote to philips support in UK and didn't receive any reply.

i really thought that philips was a semi-premium electronics brand, and specs of the product seem ok. but consumer care is equal to zero (i repeat, china products have better customer support) and this forum is more or less dead.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I have the exactly same understanding as you do. My guess is that Philips either have extremely incapable developers, or have done this change for a reason which the support folks are unable to explain.

Anyways - the really easy and fast solution would be implementing a feature that allows headphones and TV Speakers to be controlled simultaneously, with the possibility of switching off the TV speakers.

If you let me have some off-topic here:

As I said, this is my first bigger Philips-purchase. I bought my TV on 27th of Dec. It was a 42' 3207 and as soon as it was started, it showed a dead pixel! Device was replaced with another one, having two dead pixels and 6 more that were stuck. That was the reason for opening a case with Philips support - asking for know issues or bad revisions and there is NO answer so far. After I returned the second faulty device, I've bought 42' 3507 hoping that it will be alright. Both TVs had the same audio behavior.
    As a relief we can have the fact that many TVs work in the same or similar way.
    Just like you, my opinion about Philips products was relatively good. My father in law has an older 26' Philips LCD which is very nice overall and this was another reason to expect a good product.

The TV is very nice and if I exclude this little problem I am alright with it, although it performs far away from my basic expectations. But nowadays when you give a certain amount of money for something, you do expect proper support and adequate answers from this support. Saying that, I am certain that this will not be a preferred brand for me anymore.

P.S. In order to avoid inability to control volume and keeping my anger down, I am using now a STB for my TV and controlling the volume and all the channels from there. Currently I am using the Philips remote just to turn on the TV and to change sources. Sad, but true! And when I was buying the TV my wish was to use a CA Module and just one remote...
    If I may rephrase one German saying - "Einmal Philips, niemals Philips". :-)