Bronze Member
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

recording TV programs on USB harddisk

Hello all, I would strongly welcome Philips advising users of their TVs what kind of USB harddisk they advise to buy/use to record/replay TV broadcasting. There is a lot of uncertainty/confusion and some list of recommended harddisks could help. I think it's better than starting to evaluate different brands/types/features/settings.
    1/ USB 2.0 vs. 3.0 - I guess almost each TV uses currently 2.0 only (see 2/ problem with current drained).
    2/ Power supply via USB cable or external:
    - most of HDDs on market are 3.0 with power supply via USB cable
    - some 3.0 HDDs with supply via USB cable drain close to 900mA or even more during start-up, specially with capacity higher than 500MB, typical symptom is not recognized HDD
    - some HDDs like Verbatim Store 'n' Go have Greeen Energy feature implemented in their firmware, that may slow down playing HDD video and startup of recording, this has to be "manually" disabled as it is default feature
    3/ Current maximal supported size of the harddisk by TVs? I guess 1TB?
    4/ Preformatted HDD - is TV doing its own formatting or do I have to attach HDD which is already formatted with FAT32?
    5/ Disk fragmentation - does TV perform regular defragmentation of the HDD (reading/writing from/to HDD can significantly slow down in case of heavy defragmentation)?
    Maybe I can go through many discussions here to collect complete above info, but providing all that in single one place may help much better. I guess it can help Philips business because most of the customers are not hobby engineers:-)

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martinnkm View Post
    Hello all, I would strongly welcome Philips advising users of their TVs what kind of USB harddisk they advise to buy/use to record/replay TV broadcasting. There is a lot of uncertainty/confusion and some list of recommended harddisks could help. I think it's better than starting to evaluate different brands/types/features/settings.
    1/ USB 2.0 vs. 3.0 - I guess almost each TV uses currently 2.0 only (see 2/ problem with current drained).
    2/ Power supply via USB cable or external:
    - most of HDDs on market are 3.0 with power supply via USB cable
    - some 3.0 HDDs with supply via USB cable drain close to 900mA or even more during start-up, specially with capacity higher than 500MB, typical symptom is not recognized HDD
    - some HDDs like Verbatim Store 'n' Go have Greeen Energy feature implemented in their firmware, that may slow down playing HDD video and startup of recording, this has to be "manually" disabled as it is default feature
    3/ Current maximal supported size of the harddisk by TVs? I guess 1TB?
    4/ Preformatted HDD - is TV doing its own formatting or do I have to attach HDD which is already formatted with FAT32?
    5/ Disk fragmentation - does TV perform regular defragmentation of the HDD (reading/writing from/to HDD can significantly slow down in case of heavy defragmentation)?
    Maybe I can go through many discussions here to collect complete above info, but providing all that in single one place may help much better. I guess it can help Philips business because most of the customers are not hobby engineers:-)
    Hi.

I'll try answer some of these.

1. Only USB 2.0 is supported so USB 3.0 is not guaranteed to work.
    2. If the HDD is consuming 500mA or more, you'll need a external power supply, orelse it will not be recognized by the TV.
    4. If you want to use HDD for recording/ Pause TV, the TV will do it's own formatting so the HDD can only be used on that TV. If you're using it as a media drive you should pre-format the HDD into a supported format (you will find this in the user manual).