• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Single HDMI through the receiver?

I'm confused!

I'm using a Philips 55PFL5527T TV, an Onkyo 609 receiver, a BD device, a MacMini, and an XBOX360 in my system.

My previous setup, using a 2009 Samsung TV, seemed perfect: all peripheral devices were connected to my Onkyo receiver via direct HDMI inputs into the receiver - and a *single* HDMI cable connected the receiver to the TV.

I've just bought a new Philips 55PFL5527T TV, and had hoped to keep the original configuration. The only exception being that I would use the TV's inbuilt DVB2 decoder, instead of an external TV decoder like I had in my old setup (which had also been plugged into the receiver).

The HDMI ARC kicked in immediately and is handshaking with the receiver's CEC with no problem (turn on/off the TV, and the receiver turns on/off automatically... and the TV sound is output through the receiver like a charm). The receiver is connected using its HDMI out to the TV's HDMI 1 (ARC).

Problem is this:

The TV is not recognizing the input from the receiver (and thus, none of the peripheral devices attached to the receiver). That is, the BD player, XBOX and MacMini signals do not seem to make it into the TV - I get a "No Video Signal Detected" message.

What I had expected/hoped for, was that changing to the TV's HDMI1 source would provide me with the receiver's signal... whatever channel is selected for output - whether BD, XBOX, MacMini.

To troubleshoot, I ran an HDMI cable from the MacMini directly to the TV's HDMI side, and the video signal came through, but no audio was returned to the receiver via HDMI ARC? In the TV's setup, I've also tried adding different devices to the HDMI1 to no avail.

I see that all the Philips instructions are for separate HDMI cables from these devices directly into the TV. Have things changed the past couple of years? It used to be that one tried to have a single HDMI into the TV, with all the devices hooked up to the receiver?

Any help much appreciated!

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I'm sorry, but now I am even more confused...

In the process of troubleshooting the above, I found that plugging my AV Receiver "HDMI out" into my Philips TV "HDMI side" works! I'm getting video coming through the AV Receiver from all sources - mac, BD, and Xbox.

The other Philips HDMI inputs (HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3) are not accepting any video input from the AV receiver.

Would this suggest a technical fault with the TV, or is there something different with HDMI side?

Have to say I'm quite disenchanted with Philips (first time buyer)... I've never had this kind of problem before with my older tv's- So I guess I'll just have to plug the optical in as well to get the TV sound back to the AV... Bit of a shame, as I'm trading away the HDMI ARC which *was* working...

Any ideas?

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Any ideas?

If you connect an A/V receiver to the HDMI1 slot, should you not see the output on the HDMI1 source?

If I'm getting HDMI ARC sound via from the HDMI1, does this give me any clue as to what might be wrong?

As noted, the video signal is fine via HDMI-side input, but nothing shows up on HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3. Sure, it all works if I use an optical connector back to the AV receiver - but I would still like the TV to work as advertised ;-) That is, a single HDMI cable to/from the receiver with video out and ARC back...

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    This will be my first and last Philips TV.

I guess the stories are all true about Philips non-existent support - and apparent disinterest in their customers' satisfaction.

A brand new TV, and I need to spend numerous hours trying to get it to operate the way it is advertised?

1. There is no simple HDMI ARC connection to my Onkyo receiver (which worked perfectly on my old Samsung)...

Sometimes it recognises the Onkyo via HDMI CEC, usually it doesn't. Sometimes I get the usual/logical video signals, sometimes I don't... amazing that a configuration tested 1 day of troubleshooting doesn't work another day when you go back to it! All kind of weird results going on - sometimes audio out through the receiver, other times the tv switches over to its own speakers (with sound still being passed to the receiver! ...so 2 audio outputs!).

So I settle on a configuration I hadn't wanted - 3 separate HDMI cables in and an optical out... 4 wires instead of 1 HDMI ARC. Talk about taking a step backwards.

2. The classic DLNA drop-out after about 20 minutes of watching a file on my Synology NAS... hours reading through the forums for a solution, only to find that its a matter of "join the club" - same problem for numerous others, and no solution. Yeah, sure, maybe its a problem with Apple's airport... doubt it though, as it works perfectly with every other device.

So great, my new investment in the stability and quality of a Philips TV turns out to be a joke. Problems left and right and no support! Seriously?? I'll make sure people in my social circles don't make the same mistake I did.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi dajode,

Sorry for our delay in contacting you.

We'd really like to help you resolve the issues you're experiencing, so please see the PM that I've sent you

Rafe

Quote Originally Posted by dajode View Post
    This will be my first and last Philips TV.

I guess the stories are all true about Philips non-existent support - and apparent disinterest in their customers' satisfaction.

A brand new TV, and I need to spend numerous hours trying to get it to operate the way it is advertised?

1. There is no simple HDMI ARC connection to my Onkyo receiver (which worked perfectly on my old Samsung)...

Sometimes it recognises the Onkyo via HDMI CEC, usually it doesn't. Sometimes I get the usual/logical video signals, sometimes I don't... amazing that a configuration tested 1 day of troubleshooting doesn't work another day when you go back to it! All kind of weird results going on - sometimes audio out through the receiver, other times the tv switches over to its own speakers (with sound still being passed to the receiver! ...so 2 audio outputs!).

So I settle on a configuration I hadn't wanted - 3 separate HDMI cables in and an optical out... 4 wires instead of 1 HDMI ARC. Talk about taking a step backwards.

2. The classic DLNA drop-out after about 20 minutes of watching a file on my Synology NAS... hours reading through the forums for a solution, only to find that its a matter of "join the club" - same problem for numerous others, and no solution. Yeah, sure, maybe its a problem with Apple's airport... doubt it though, as it works perfectly with every other device.

So great, my new investment in the stability and quality of a Philips TV turns out to be a joke. Problems left and right and no support! Seriously?? I'll make sure people in my social circles don't make the same mistake I did.
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Rafe View Post
    Hi dajode,

Sorry for our delay in contacting you.

We'd really like to help you resolve the issues you're experiencing, so please see the PM that I've sent you

Rafe

OK. You sent me a PM.

I replied to you.

Can you kindly answer me and help me resolve my issues?