• Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

AD7000W/10 - finally a solid wifi config and working Airplay

I'm posting this as a helper for anyone wanting to throw this device out of the window right now.

Great sound from this device, but a combination of a terrible wifi chipset from Eastech Electronics and really buggy clearly now unsupported firmware from Phillips, means that this device is frankly not fit for sale.

However that said, if you have problems with constant dropouts for Airplay, and even pings not working well to the AD7000W/10 then this might help you out.

The device seems to work very well if you have your router set up using the following parameters. There is of course no guarantee that this will work for everyone, all routers have their own individual settings, and of course their own bugs, and you may have devices on your wifi which require a more flexible setup than the one below.

Wireless Network Mode - 802.11g (only g, not b/g)
    Channel Width - 20MHz (full)
    Wireless Channel - 6 (2437 MHz)
    Enable RTS/CTS (yes really, if you have this setting)
    SSID - The Wireless name must have no special characters, which is really pathetic driver coding on the AD7000W.

I have checked this out with a wireless analyzer, before and after, and it now has a very solid and stable SNR/RSSI and RX/TX rates.

I was about to return this device, and Phillips where totally useless from a support point of view. Been running solid for a week now, which was since I sorted this out.

Hope this helps some of you out there. If it does not, please keep the flaming to yourselves, this is an info only posting.

Happy New Year all.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to theloon For This Useful Post:

chrisham (01-01-2013)

Silver Member
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I've read few articles on Airplay. As far I saw, there is in the market only one solution available, used by all the suppliers (BridgeCo chipset) - e.g. ...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/09/i...pple-accessor/

... saw in other forums that Philips is also based on that (which also hardens the forum comments, that Apple actually limits the suppliers for the solution).

Haven't heard yet that Eastech Electronics makes such chips, would also wonder when looking onto their company pages (looks more like a FoxCon).

Assume that you got this Eastech info based on the embedded MAC ID of the device. This however is not correct, as this comes in many cases from the guy assembling the unit. E.g. my latest XBOX is reported as FOXCON. But there is no single chipset from them inside ...

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blechtrottel View Post
    I've read few articles on Airplay. As far I saw, there is in the market only one solution available, used by all the suppliers (BridgeCo chipset) - e.g. ...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/09/i...pple-accessor/

... saw in other forums that Philips is also based on that (which also hardens the forum comments, that Apple actually limits the suppliers for the solution).

Haven't heard yet that Eastech Electronics makes such chips, would also wonder when looking onto their company pages (looks more like a FoxCon).

Assume that you got this Eastech info based on the embedded MAC ID of the device. This however is not correct, as this comes in many cases from the guy assembling the unit. E.g. my latest XBOX is reported as FOXCON. But there is no single chipset from them inside ...
    Yeah, it's going to be hard to know what is what unless we open up the box. The airplay chipset can be either embedded (eDMP) and controllered by the host processor, or further integrated with network functionality. I'm guessing from the price point Phillips has that this is not the more expensive chip, like the Stream700 from StreamUnlimited (formally BridgeCo), and they have sourced a cheaper wifi chip and host controller then bolted on Airplay functions using the low spec chip. Apple as an example seems to prefer Broadcom for network and then dedicated chips for other functions, although they are moving more and move functions into the A series chips now,

Either way, the network function sucks, both from a network firmware point of view and from the physical side on the antenna.

Mine is still working with the setup I detailed, so I'm happy for now. If it screws up I will be tempted to disassemble it and install the board from a spare the airport express I have, should there be enough real estate inside for that, as I do like the form factor of the ad7000w and the sound from it.

cheers

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi, I have just bought one of these and the quick start guide seems pretty useless?

We have computers and iphones in the home all connected to a BT Router fine.

I use the quick start guide to set this up and get all the way through the points, until I get to the point about opening Safari, and entering 192.168.1.1 from the iPhone.

This works, and gets me to the set up page where I can choose my router and WPA password. I then click ok, and I just get :

"Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found" ??

This happens every time? Therefore I never get a beep from the Unit and its not set up? - Im tearing my hair out!

I have had this working in the "incorrect sense" though..

I chose the Philips in WIFI settings, and in my iPhone itunes, the "airplay' emblem and I can play to the AD7000W..

But this is easily forgotten and i have no internet/WiFi whilst in this mode??

Can anyone help, and does this retain the settings after its switched off so we can just connect again???

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    It is unlikely that the network chipset is the same as the audio and host controller. BridgeCo was bought by StreamUnlimited who integrated them to provide a range of chips, the more complex ones do present network functions like wifi, like Stream 700, but given the price point Phillips is at for this device, I would assume they are picking the cheapest chips for network and any other other bus functions and using a host controller to 'glue them together' with audio working as an eDMP.

There is no way to know for sure unless we open the device, which I have no desire to do right now. If it gets to that point I will likely replace the innards with an airport express board, if it fits, as I have spare and it never drops off the network or stutters for audio playback.

cheers
    Last edited by theloon; 01-04-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Hi, I have just bought one of these and the quick start guide seems pretty useless?

We have computers and iphones in the home all connected to a BT Router fine.

I use the quick start guide to set this up and get all the way through the points, until I get to the point about opening Safari, and entering 192.168.1.1 from the iPhone.

This works, and gets me to the set up page where I can choose my router and WPA password. I then click ok, and I just get :

"Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found" ??

This happens every time? Therefore I never get a beep from the Unit and its not set up? - Im tearing my hair out!

I have had this working in the "incorrect sense" though..

I chose the Philips in WIFI settings, and in my iPhone itunes, the "airplay' emblem and I can play to the AD7000W..

But this is easily forgotten and i have no internet/WiFi whilst in this mode??

Can anyone help, and does this retain the settings after its switched off so we can just connect again???
    Sounds like it is not connecting to your wifi network, and therefore you have to go through the process again. Do you have special characters in your wifi name or WPA password?

I would suggest using WPA/WPA2 in mixed mode, and using AES+TKIP as the WPA Algorithms.

The AD7000W does not have a good wifi device driver and is seriously limited in what it both understands and accepts for wifi config.

I'm afraid I can't help you with a BT Router and possible settings. Good luck

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi.

My BT Router comes up as

BTHomeHub (WPA2 TKIP + CCMP) on the AD7000W settings page..

My WPA password key looks like its already filled in when I select this with black dots ********

But my passcode key is the usual numbers and letters lowercase - would that be the problem?

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi.

Ummm, hard to know what the problem is with your SSID and WPA key, as I have a similar combination. Connection to the wifi on my router was zero-to-problematic for anything other than the router wifi settings I put in the original posting. The analyser I used struggled to see anything from the AD7000W on the lower or higher ends of the 2.4MHz band, only the mid point around channel 6 worked well.

IMO the AD7000W is not fit for sale as a wifi enabled audio device, and Phillips should withdraw it. These types of wifi problems where common 10 years back with bad code and chipsets, but today this technology is pretty plug and play.

I had some time one afternoon and access to a Fluke AirMagnet analyzer to test it with, and being a geek wanted to see if it could be made to work.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hmm, I searched for a while on the net.
    Finally found an take appart report for the AD7000W.
    And, as thought, it shows clearly a photo with the BridgeCo log on a board.
    That board looks like a module, as it is mounted via a huge plug ...

Anyhow, it is BridgeCo stuff ... ... ...

When comparing it to a Panasonic tear down report, the chipset / board looks different.
    Panasonic has 1 antenna, Philips has 2, ... etc. ...

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Dear Buckaroo,

I've seen a post (in the same forum) which explained how to make a BT Router stable.
    Will try to find it ...

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks